Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

2 hours ago, ManDoon said:

This is Laurent Robert syndrome again. Are we the only fan base who regularly does this? 

Course not. The only similar player I can think of that never got it was Le-Tissier at Southampton.

Far better players than ASM have had it - Gazza, Baggio, Yeboah, Beardsley with Liverpool/England, Liam Brady, Glenn Hoddle, Waddle, Gullit

2 hours ago, loki679 said:

With a player like ASM or HBA or Ginola or Robert it's all about the ratios.  If they're only turning it on once every 10 games then no matter how good they are you're better off without them. 

ASM is kind of on the edge of that ratio right now so it's understandable that people get frustrated with him.  A good run of games and a bit of decent coaching on when to release the ball and when to hold it and he'll be magic and all this will be forgotten.

I don't get the impression he really wants to listen and learn and absorb knowledge. Pretty sure it's been said he gets fined all the time. He's far better than our other options, but I wouldn't be shocked if Howe would prefer someone a bit more coachable if he had the choice. 

There is a good chance he isn't our best/star player next year, so it will be about how we adapts to that.

He has the talent to have any career he wants its up to him.

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Course not. The only similar player I can think of that never got it was Le-Tissier at Southampton.

Far better players than ASM have had it - Gazza, Baggio, Yeboah, Beardsley with Liverpool/England, Liam Brady, Glenn Hoddle, Waddle, Gullit

My first experience of it was with Ginola and that was when we were going for the league title. You're right, it doesn't matter how good we are, any player like that will get the same criticism from the same people. 

I think it was Leffe who use to have that quote about Glenn Hoddle as his signature: a luxury player is the player that can't do what he can do. Someone who can't see a pass and keeps giving the ball away, they're the luxury players, not Glenn Hoddle.

Something like that. Spot on imo. 

Suited the low block and give it to ASM on the counter approach of Bruce ball.

With Howe's more organised and disciplined pressing approach, I don't think he'll make the adjustment.

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

My first experience of it was with Ginola and that was when we were going for the league title. You're right, it doesn't matter how good we are, any player like that will get the same criticism from the same people. 

I think it was Leffe who use to have that quote about Glenn Hoddle as his signature: a luxury player is the player that can't do what he can do. Someone who can't see a pass and keeps giving the ball away, they're the luxury players, not Glenn Hoddle.

Something like that. Spot on imo. 

Have vague memories of Mirandinha being in the same boat back end of 88/89. Whilst obviously our best player ability wise - the crowd were mixed between happy and peed off if he wasn't selected. Always some toxicity either way.

wouldnt be surprised if we accepted a big bid for him from abroad this summer if we bought another high quality left sded midfielder as i dont think Maxi would stay if he was going to be back up.

I am sorry but what is going on with him? There is no discernible injury that the club has described. He is just not playing. Is there psychological or fatigue issues at play? Pathetic by the club, unless they are masking a real issue here for privacy reasons.

Fuck off wankers.

Idiots begging for ASM, "get Miggy off," "We need ASM on".....

Now head to point the finger, exactly as I predicted.

Chris Wood played the whole fucking game, he's diabolical,  I'm not in his thread talking him down or looking to blame him for our unfortunate loss.

Absolute blimps in here.

Edited by mighty__mag

I really don’t think he is suddenly shite and we need to get rid. But that is two games in a row where he has come on and we have ended up worse for it.

The team looks unsure what to do, we force it to him when he is being triple marked and the workrate out wide understandably drops off. We really need to work the ball better and find the players in space that he is freeing up. It’s all a bit one dimensional

once he is on. 

Love the bloke. Got Allan sent off. But was also weak as piss for the goal. The defence parting like the red sea wasn’t really ideal, mind. 

Seems better from the start of games when he can find his rhythm. Might be over-thinking it. But I do wonder if he fits into this current Howe set up. Built on the high press and workrate. We are better with the ball now and not just playing on the counter every game. 

All a bit of a mystery. Hope we can get him back in the team and firing. As he is a joy to watch when he’s on it. 

Start him from the off if he's going to be used or keep him out.

Always seems way off the pace when he comes on. Like he hasn't warmed up. 

Thought he was mostly ineffective and for the most part got tackled or pushed off the ball.

Everton were down to 10 and sitting deep. For all his speed, he's not going to go past three or four players in front of him without someone getting a foot in.

I said it after Chelsea, but he's not really suited to be an impact sub. If he's coming on 10 minutes into the second half, it's not as bad but if you're looking to win or get back into a game around the 75-minute mark, the opposition are going to be set up very differently than they were at kick off.

Just now, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Everton were down to 10 and sitting deep. For all his speed, he's not going to go past three or four players in front of him without someone getting a foot in.

I said it after Chelsea, but he's not really suited to be an impact sub. If he's coming on 10 minutes into the second half, it's not as bad but if you're looking to win or get back into a game around the 75-minute mark, the opposition are going to be set up very differently than they were at kick off.

And yet instead of moving the ball and trying to find pockets of space he just runs into them all anyway and loses the ball. He is so one dimensional.