Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

4-5 early indications that he was working for the team and I was prepared to forgive him an indulgent dribble, but he didn't. And then he scored that goal. 

His celebration was a bit over the top for a friendly, but if he keeps his OTT stuff to his celebrations I'll be happy enough.

I think ASM style of play really suited the low press we relied on in the past, balls over the top like that were his bread and butter. I think it's just taken him a little while longer to adjust as we've edged further up the pitch. I think he's going to have a great season on early evidence and isn't expected to be our only attacking threat.

15 hours ago, Howeay said:

He is just class to watch especially live, you get the Ben Arfa buzz when he gets the ball.

I think he is slowly adapting to being more of a team player.

Still not convinced he can do it over a season, but yesterday was the perfect game from him. If he can do that 7/10 games you wouldn't want anyone else in your team.

Guest HTT II

Decent today IMO, less histrionics, tried to find a pass mostly, even when he could have just tried to shoot, linked up well with Targett and played several different roles and positions to good effect as did Almiron, Bruno, Joe and Willock. 

He played the ball early a few times today, definitely looking to release quicker, just didn't find the killer pass. But not easy when you've only got one man to aim for and he's surrounded by defenders.

I couldn't consistently watch the match today but one particular moment I caught that really stuck out was his readiness to use Targett on the overlap which resulted in a corner.

Felt like if it was last season he'd have gone dancing in to three defenders instead of using that outlet.

Saw the last 35 minutes of the match. Probably the most complete performance I've seen from him. Inventive going forwards, plenty adequate in defence and a real team player. Didn't see him on his arse whingeing once. Keep up the good work!

Started well and quickly sussed that he had his man on strings. Would like to see him make some of the runs Almiron was making as I think he wouldn’t hesitate to take a chance with either foot. 

2 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Really happy with how he played today.  Felt like he was playing as part of the team.

Should've played the simple pass to Wilson for 1-0 though!

Yup. Really pleasing to see that the coaching staff have clearly worked with him on his obvious flaws, but even more pleasing that he seems to have listened.

2 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Just came in to post this…Wilson was fuming!

I recall seeing that, but that attempt from ASM was a reasonable one. He was in a good position to shoot himself.

He was great yesterday. Going to have a big season.

Just now, KaKa said:

I recall seeing that, but that attempt from ASM was a reasonable one. He was in a good position to shoot himself.

He was great yesterday. Going to have a big season.

Yeh he was always going to shoot from there, just needed to curl it more rather than whack it and it could've gone round the defender and keeper. Wilson angry about it but don't think it's an issue, should be more angry at Miggy for not taking that shot on with this right foot.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Yeh he was always going to shoot from there, just needed to curl it more rather than whack it and it could've gone round the defender and keeper. Wilson angry about it but don't think it's an issue, should be more angry at Miggy for not taking that shot on with this right foot.

The side foot curler controlled shot needs to be a whole training session each week! :lol:

Even Joelinton after that fantastic run should have gone for that sort of shot at the end, but was looking for power and scuffed it.

We don't really have someone in the team that uses that kind of shot regularly. It's my favourite type of shot, and is so tough to stop when mastered.