Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Him potentially finding top form as well as working collectively with the others will/can make a massive difference for us trying to secure a CL place.

Along with some momentum, Isak, Bruno back to his best as well as having decent options off the bench now plus many other things of course.

I think the issue is not about if he stays but more if he is happy being a squad player as we improve the 1st 11 that's the destiny for those getting game time. Multiple competitions potentially next season there will be games he will be perfect for. If he wants to be the main man starting whenever fit I don't see it so much anymore.  

1 hour ago, nufcjmc said:

I think the issue is not about if he stays but more if he is happy being a squad player as we improve the 1st 11 that's the destiny for those getting game time. Multiple competitions potentially next season there will be games he will be perfect for. If he wants to be the main man starting whenever fit I don't see it so much anymore.  

I don’t see why a fit ASM shouldn’t be considered a starter. When he was out of the team we had Burn, Willock and Joelinton on the left being very solid, but not producing much and as a team we relied on Almiron being in the form of his life. Now, with Almiron out it’s ASM in the Almiron role and Murphy keeping the right wing ticking over without producing much in terms of chances. Surely we’re allowed to have more than one creative first choice winger in our squad, especially one that seems on the same wave length as our best center forward? Also this frees up Willock and Joelinton for midfield positions that better suit their skill set.

Personally I can’t wait to see a front three of Almiron, ASM and Isak. Good luck with doubling up on that lineup.

Edited by Unbelievable

It felt like he was tactically on it on Sunday both positionally and his choice of passes. Did the same move a couple of times where he looked to slide the late running midfielder in at the edge of the box. With better finishing he’d of had at least three assists. 

Was the first time in a long time he looked like he wasn’t trying to avoid aggravating an injury. 

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I don’t see why a fit ASM shouldn’t be considered a starter. When he was out of the team we had Burn, Willock and Joelinton on the left being very solid, but not producing much and as a team we relied on Almiron being in the form of his life. Now, with Almiron out it’s ASM in the Almiron role and Murphy keeping the right wing ticking over without producing much in terms of chances. Surely we’re allowed to have more than one creative first choice winger in our squad, especially one that seems on the same wave length as our best center forward? Also this frees up Willock and Joelinton for midfield positions that better suit their skill set.

Personally I can’t wait to see a front three of Almiron, ASM and Isak. Good luck with doubling up on that lineup.

I think right now he is trying hard to be part of how the team plays less running into blind spaces and looking to pass to the team. Right now I think he should be starting when fit unless its for a tactical reason however he doesn't score and therefore could be improved upon.

Is he the first out the door in a continued rebuild no but if we bought a better player we will have to ask ourselves do you sell to offset FFP or do you keep, in some cases the choice may be made for us as the player is unwilling to play a bit part role. We will naturally buy better players but if Europe does become a regular thing we need a stronger squad of players. Thats why from Eddie's comments can be true without the thought as well that if a player becomes available they wont go for it despite what that means for Maxi's place. 

I have no idea what that means, or how it’s different to any of our other first team players, of which we thankfully now have more than merely XI. I don’t think any of our players is irreplaceable. If an offer too good to refuse comes in for any of them, and/or they are not committed to the game plan or the amount of game time the manager can offer, they will be let go and replaced. That’s just sensible business, and I have complete trust in the people in charge to have shadow lists available for any of our players, even if the hope for some of them is to build the team around them as we progress in our project. ASM may or may not be part of that, same as for any other player.

Edited by Unbelievable

For me it just means when some fans say he's shit get rid and others say I hope he stays the managers comments don't mean he is a garenteed starter much like Alimron getting a new deal we want these players around for squad building but don't panic if your on the side they aren't good enough to start every game they won't. 

I like all our midfield except to get to the next level we need more goals from midfield. 

I don't know if he'll be here next year but you absolutely can't argue with the effort he's put into trying to become the kind of player that fits into an Eddie Howe team. So much of it is counter to his instincts as a player but he's really putting in the work.

Sunday was a glimpse of what could be for him if he stays here. Had a great balance of playing with his head up and knowing when to take players on. Pressed well as part of the front three too. He still needs to work on his movement off the ball but no reason he can't develop that part of his game too. I'd also love to see him absolutely dedicate himself to building his fitness levels up over the summer.

If he does stay and play a key role over the coming years then there'll be an argument to be made that it'll be Howe's finest bit of work. Obviously taking the likes of Joelinton and Almiron and turning them into quality PL players from the broken shells they were when he got here was incredible. However, taking a player who was individually thriving and getting him to buy into massively overhauling the way he plays and then having him come out the other end a radically changed player who can still thrive would be immense.

Edited by Shak

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Sunday was a glimpse of what could be for him if he stays here. Had a great balance of playing with his head up and knowing when to take players on. Pressed well as part of the front three too. He still needs to work on his movement off the ball but no reason he can't develop that part of his game too. I'd also love to see him absolutely dedicate himself to building his fitness levels up over the summer.

He's definitely improved his decision making.

I'd like to see him play more on the shoulder of the full-back, looking for a through-ball. He always wants to come deep and take his man on from there which obviously he's very good at but it would add an extra dimension to his game if he could make runs in behind too.

I think with his confidence up this is the sort of game where if he could back up Sunday’s performance he could really go on a roll. Would love for him to hit top form now, could be the difference in getting us wins in the tight matches 

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

He's definitely improved his decision making.

I'd like to see him play more on the shoulder of the full-back, looking for a through-ball. He always wants to come deep and take his man on from there which obviously he's very good at but it would add an extra dimension to his game if he could make runs in behind too.

Aye that's what I mean about his movement off the ball. He doesn't seem to have a good feel at all where to run to when his teammates have the ball.

When he gets it defenders are usually in a decent position. His immense dribbling ability means he can still beat them quite often but if he could start making clever runs and receiving the ball in really dangerous positions he could be lethal. Would open things up for other quality ball carriers like Isak and Willock if they had ASM dragging defenders all over the shop giving them space to exploit.

Never thought I’d want him to be more greedy. But I find myself regularly screaming at him to get by his man or get a shot off. Seems shit scared to lose it or fuck it up going at the defender. Shame. 

He’s still not right though is he, feels like he has lost a yard of pace, doesn’t feel like he can smash past players anymore. Love how he is becoming more intelligent now, in a way it’s better this version than the old but sometimes I just want the old maxi just to open up and run. 

Thought he was electric for the first 20 mins, but got a bit sloppy as the game wore on. Still I guess that's just the nature of the beast, no player of that type can be fantastic for 90 mins. He did enough to get us 2-0, I think if we don't win from here it's not going to be down to him.

Shining light in the darkest era of my time supporting the club, and is starting to spark again, and I couldn't be happier. He needs to feel love from his manager. Howe needs everything from his player. something has happened recently where ASM has shown enough to Howe, and is now feeling the love, and I hope it will continue on. 

Most creative play on the pitch tonight. 

Edited by Dokko