Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

He needs to stay out wide in whatever formation we play. As soon as he starts coming infield he's immediately crowded out. He's much more effective coming from out wide where he has more room and isolates full backs more. Once he's played through the middle or drifts infield he's totally wasted and ineffective.

U could see the frustration. He couldn't get a hold of the ball and get turned and run at them like he normally does. 

Palace were wise to him and always doubled up or sometimes 3 or 4. 

Also our players kept smashing passes into him or over hitting them past him and he grew more and more annoyed as the game went on. 

I don't think he was throwing a strop or anything to that effect. 

It simply wasn't his day. 

It’s the way he downs tools when he loses the ball or things don’t go his way that pisses me off and why he will never be a top top player, it’s unacceptable of any player regardless of how gifted they are. Zaha does the same shit and he’s nowhere near as gifted as ASM is and that’s why he’s at Palace. 

28 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Viera nullified him.  We are pretty one dimensional, so Palace could focus on taking away the space ASM needs to shine.  Nowt to so with ASM's attitude.

They certainly set out to limit his space. He instantly had players on him (without the gaps for him to run through). If the first tackle missed, a second came in really quickly. I think that was a deliberate tactic. I also think his attitude was way off because, as soon a that happened, he just gave up.

Just now, ManDoon said:

I think it was both. He didn’t look at all arsed to me 

He basically gave up and downed tools. If Bruce was still here, maybe he would have rurled up his sleeves and got on with it…

Regardless his attitude stunk yesterday and is unacceptable. 

A good manager would see that the opposition had put 2, 3 or even 4 players around him and use the space this leaves for the rest of our attacking players to exploit.

Unfortunately we don't play with any other attacking players, which in turn allows the opposition to continue to put 2, 3 or even 4 players around ASM.

If we just offered more as an attacking unit, the opposition would have to cope with those players and it would leave him more space. This all starts from us getting higher up the pitch and pressing the opposition more, something which we cannot or will not do, perhaps because of a lack of fitness or a lack of instruction to just do it, I don't know which, but it all leads to us being penned back with no possession - lumping it forward in panic when we get it because there's nobody transitioning into attack, and repeatedly losing it.

Soon, hopefully, he will no longer be the big fish in a little pool, so he now needs to decide how much he wants to play for a top team and win things.  He's capable, but he needs to toughen up mentally and play at 100% otherwise the team will overtake him and he will look back wondering what might have been.

He does need better players alongside him and a coach who can utilise his abilities more suitably and develop some discipline in his game and badly otherwise he’s just a MOT highlights player who will shine for a relegation threatened shitty team and be the star man on his day, but will struggle in a top team or not look quite as good. 

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He looks far better playing through the middle than he does out wide. When he breaks the midfield line and runs at centre backs, he creates panic in the opposition.

He’s a player who needs a free/ish ,or less unrestricted defensive role. Under KK or say Sir Bobby he would light up the league never mind our team and the odd few games. It’s about getting the balance right with players like him, which if he was willing to accept and we had someone who could do that with the right players and team around him, then you’re looking at a top tier player. I somehow don’t think he’s capable in himself, however, to reach that kind of elite or top tier level even with such a team/coach because it’s not IN him. It’s in Ronaldo for example.

30 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

This is why he plays for us and not a top team.

We're gonna have to move him on to get to the top 6.

Or having other clever and better players around him, meaning oppositions have to worry about more than just him. 

5 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Or having other clever and better players around him, meaning oppositions have to worry about more than just him. 

Yeah, that would massively help.

I don't want to kneejerk on the Palace performance, but I do worry that he doesn't do enough defensively or have the right mindset to play for a team managed by a top coach.  Sadly, a bit Ben Arfa.  

With Jones preferring to shore up defence this week it left ASM isolated and outnumbered, with the lack of quality in midfield and energy levels so low from all the bacon butties and no training we were never getting out from the back against a team that Viera has running through walls. The ball over the top was the only way to relieve pressure. 

ASM needs support around him, but without a midfield that can transition play, players that can make actual passes or run further than 10 yards without being gassed it's a tough ask. He shouldn't have let himself get frustrated, he needs to give 100% at all times, especially when he's our number 1 outlet at the moment.

Too early to tell. He's 24. So far, it seems like he thrives being the top dog who is allowed to do what he wants on and off the pitch. In a top team with a top coach, he might go up another level or he breaks down mentally because of the discipline required. I'll give him another season or two to see if he has it in him to adjust and go right to the very top.

22 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Yeah, that would massively help.

I don't want to kneejerk on the Palace performance, but I do worry that he doesn't do enough defensively or have the right mindset to play for a team managed by a top coach.  Sadly, a bit Ben Arfa.  

Aye I get what you mean, I suppose time will tell. Hopefully he'll stay as the team is built.

There's so much to like about him, and not just on the field either.

4 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Why the fuck have we tried to make him a striker this year?

Get him back out wide, where he can actually get the ball deep and drag us forward.

Had a very poor game last week at Palace where he was played out of position, played in the same position today, madness.