Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

43 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I’ve noticed every time he gets the ball now (most teams) double up on him and smother him , he then has to keep cutting inside and runs into trouble 

Still think we need a player like him to things off the cuff that others can’t do 

If teams are doubling up on him, he's won the first battle by pulling players out of position. That means there should be more space for other players....provided he releases the ball and gets it to one of them.

15 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

If we get better players to cover his defensive duties and ASM ups his end product, decision making and effort, then yes.

Football has moved on a lot since Robert and Ginola, ASM will have to cover his own defensive duties if he wants to be part of the club in the future. As an interim measure, it would be the only reason for keeping Targett who could cover him defensively. 

We have had such poor teams under Ashley that as a fanbase we are behind the times. Most people are advocating keeping Targett who doesn't do enough in attack and ASM who doesn't work hard enough; the complete antithesis to how the top teams are setup and the way football is moving.

Edited by macphisto

5 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Targett who doesn't do enough in attack and ASM who doesn't work hard enough;

You don't see how these two things could possibly be linked? I can understand people being frustrated with ASM right now but find your campaign against Targett fucking weird tbh. We are so far from being good enough to say that Targett isn't good enough for us.

Edited by Pata

13 minutes ago, TRon said:

If teams are doubling up on him, he's won the first battle by pulling players out of position. That means there should be more space for other players....provided he releases the ball and gets it to one of them.

Yeah but he doesn’t , he naturally wants to take players on 

1 minute ago, Pata said:

You don't see how these two things could possibly be linked? I can understand people being frustrated with ASM right now but find your campaign against Targett fucking weird tbh.

No, I don't think they are linked because their historical stats back up what I said. I find it bizarre why so many people are so keen to keep Targett when we are hoping to be challenging in the future. Campaign??? Targett is a solid player who I'd be happy to keep if Howe wants to but I don't understand the way people are going overboard about him. He is a solid player, no more; there's a reason a 26 year old player with 139 Premier League appearances is available for £15 million. We have shown we can sign a really top class full back in Trippier and I'd much rather explore the possibility of having the same level of player on the other side.

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

People compare ASM to Zaha but the level of output is on another level. 

This is only the third season he's managed double figure goals in the league, and he doesn't usually get many assists either. Has only managed one assist in the league so far this season.

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Yep, which is why I used him as a comparison. People will say that ASM can't touch Robert in regards to quality, yet their goal contribution per 90 is similar and Robert took set pieces in addition to playing in a far better side. It's a bit of revisionism given how the same people probably fucking hated him for not working hard enough and will be the same about ASM in about 10 years.

Comparing ASM to Robert is madness. Totally different players. Totally different levels too, as much as I rate ASM as a talent. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Comparing ASM to Robert is madness. Totally different players. Totally different levels too, as much as I rate ASM as a talent. 

Aware of that, was comparing them because of the yer da section of our fanbase that hated Robert (or any flair player really) that is now possessing ever growing hatred for ASM and want him sold.

I don't hate ASM. I just don't think he's exhibited, or is exhibiting, the sort of mentality and mental strength that will be required for him to improve.  Would dearly love to be wrong.

4 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aware of that, was comparing them because of the yer da section of our fanbase that hated Robert (or any flair player really) that is now possessing ever growing hatred for ASM and want him sold.

Ginola got no heat under KK, Gascoigne, Tino and Solano were beloved. Solano had as much flair as Robert but the consistency disguised it.

The only flair players that some fans had a problem with weren't great team players or didn't produce tangible goods enough to off-set that: Robert, Mirandinha, and ASM.

Its why these players don't have great careers generally.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Ginola got no heat under KK, Gascoigne, Tino and Solano were beloved. Solano had as much flair as Robert but the consistency disguised it.

The only flair players that some fans had a problem with weren't great team players or didn't produce tangible goods enough to off-set that: Robert, Mirandinha, and ASM.

Ginola is a case in point. Went to Spurs and combined his skill with working his arse off. Player of the season wasn't he?

But Maxi doesn't feel like pressing.  Whatever.

Guest HTT II

He does press, but from the front. He is lazy though and gives up far too easily. He’s so frustrating. All the skills in the world too…

16 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Who was it who said Maxi is nearly 30?  [emoji38]

The way some of us are talking about him youd think he was the new Obertan.

Someone actually said he was

Maxi isn’t  lazy either. He has genuine issues with his fitness and stamina. He’ll run around till he’s huffing and puffing the problem is that happens quite quickly. Most likely because of how explosive he is he used up a lot of energy very quickly.

7 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Robert was the definition of a player producing tangible goods. And he got the best out of those around him to too great and extent to accuse him of not being a team player. 

Guest reefatoon

Think defenders have just sussed that if they tackle him hard early on he hates it, limps around and looks like his dog has just been run over for the rest of the game. 

I had this random thought of if we had an attacking fullback in the mould of Hickey or to a greater extent Lodi overlapping Maxi — does that actually help Maxi more and give him far more space at pin teams back more? Obv does cause issues in defense if we lose the ball….

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Think defenders have just sussed that if they tackle him hard early on he hates it, limps around and looks like his dog has just been run over for the rest of the game. 

Think there’s a bit of truth to this. Mentally, he could benefit from working on how he responds to getting tackled. It’s shit that refs don’t give him a bit more but clearly it’s not going to change so he has to work on just focusing on his own game and getting fired up rather than deflated by the tackles. I reckon we’ll see him put in a performance before the end of the season where he rinses a defence

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

Maxi isn’t  lazy either. He has genuine issues with his fitness and stamina. He’ll run around till he’s huffing and puffing the problem is that happens quite quickly. Most likely because of how explosive he is he used up a lot of energy very quickly.

He is like, he gives up too easily. He does have stamina issues, but has enough rest points during the 90 not to be totally exhausted. He ambles about half the time off the ball. 

You can’t say he has enough rest points. It will be different for each player. You can tell it’s stamina related because he’s always blowing out his Arse half way through the game.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

You can’t say he has enough rest points. It will be different for each player. You can tell it’s stamina related because he’s always blowing out his Arse half way through the game.

He has plenty of rest points, the stamina thing is because like a boxer he punches himself out when he goes on his crazy take the whole team on runs. At the weekend, however, he clearly give up when remotely challenged one on one and went into a few hissy fits, and then lazily stood there hands on hip while they raced away and our players were chasing back. There is no excuse, he plays within himself too often and for himself even more. He gets away with it or did because he could be the difference and was our talisman. That’s now changed, get good money for him in the summer and reinvest in a more productive better equipped player.

Edited by HTT II

We have a far bigger upgrade issues than ASM right now. I'd give him next season to see how it pans out and then sack him off the following summer if he's still doing the same.