Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

If I have any critique of him it's that he's trying to be too much of a team player, if anything.

He's clearly listening to Howe, he might not have the defensive nous of Joelinton or Willock, but he's putting the work and more than deserves to start if we keep missing chances.

5 minutes ago, alexf said:

Today proved that the flip side to him being weak defensively is that he pushes back the opponent right back. 

They had a dominant 10 min spell with walker-peters and then nothing after because they were terrified of ASM. 

Start 2nd leg please.

So good to see him running with the ball at speed again. Unstoppable when he's like that 😍

Spot on, plus having him on one side Miggy on the other causes mayhem because teams struggle to double up. Throw in Isak running the channels 👍

That cameo from Maxi was pure art. It changed the dynamics of the game and got everyone going. 

If you just focus on his play it will tell you alot. He is taking the instructions Howe has given him and he did it perfectly. Such a joy to see. Last time i felt like this for a player was with Hatem Ben Arfa. Really hope Maxi adapts like tonight and the goals will come.

Just have a weird feeling from diffrent clips that Maxi isnt liked by many in the squad. He seems a bit arrogant in his personality and may be the reason why he isnt playing that much.

Just now, Killuminati said:

That cameo from Maxi was pure art. It changed the dynamics of the game and got everyone going. 

If you just focus on his play it will tell you alot. He is taking the instructions Howe has given him and he did it perfectly. Such a joy to see. Last time i felt like this for a player was with Hatem Ben Arfa. Really hope Maxi adapts like tonight and the goals will come.

Just have a weird feeling from diffrent clips that Maxi isnt liked by many in the squad. He seems a bit arrogant in his personality and may be the reason why he isnt playing that much.

Just on the reason why he's not playing - Howe is an absolute stickler for not making changes for the sake of them. If a side is doing well, e.g. conceding like no goals ever, or getting points on the board when we're bottom of the league, then he won't change it. I remember when we started our upturn in form in January last year, and we were chomping at the bit for Bruno to start. It was said that it was to allow him time to 'bed in', but I think it's a lot more to do with showing loyalty and respect to the current XI at the time that were doing well and grinding out the results. It's also partly think why I think Longstaff plays every single game and every minute of every game - he's part of a team that just doesn't lose and there isn't an obvious replacement of genuine ability who will do what he does.

It's also the same argument he can use against the club captain every match, look, you're not getting a game cause we're not losing and I don't want to disrupt the team. The squad would lose respect for Howe if he brought others in 'just because' when he didn't bring in Lascelles. It's a win-win, he gets buy-in from the team that's getting results, they know the manager backs them, and it means whoever comes in is absolutely focused on trying to make that shirt his on merit, not reputation. If we lose or don't get the result we want, he has the irrefutable proof in the points themselves and backing to make those changes.

It would send the wrong message to change a winning/undefeated team just because of perceived differences in ability. There needs to be undeniable benefits to all parties in making the switch for us to keep this team spirit that's become absolutely core of our form.

All this aside, I'd be dropping Willock and Wilson next game for ASM and Isak but I don't know what kind of expectations of keeping the shirt Wilson and Willock have been given. Who knows, maybe Howe's said to the squad 'as long as this defensive run continues, I'm not changing the starting XI unless there's an injury', and it's a perfectly reasonable stance. Not one I'd make mind, but I'm not one of already the most succesful English managers in Premier League history. I'll defer to Sir Eddie.

9 minutes ago, HawK said:

Just on the reason why he's not playing - Howe is an absolute stickler for not making changes for the sake of them. If a side is doing well, e.g. conceding like no goals ever, or getting points on the board when we're bottom of the league, then he won't change it. I remember when we started our upturn in form in January last year, and we were chomping at the bit for Bruno to start. It was said that it was to allow him time to 'bed in', but I think it's a lot more to do with showing loyalty and respect to the current XI at the time that were doing well and grinding out the results. It's also partly think why I think Longstaff plays every single game and every minute of every game - he's part of a team that just doesn't lose and there isn't an obvious replacement of genuine ability who will do what he does.

It's also the same argument he can use against the club captain every match, look, you're not getting a game cause we're not losing and I don't want to disrupt the team. The squad would lose respect for Howe if he brought others in 'just because' when he didn't bring in Lascelles. It's a win-win, he gets buy-in from the team that's getting results, they know the manager backs them, and it means whoever comes in is absolutely focused on trying to make that shirt his on merit, not reputation. If we lose or don't get the result we want, he has the irrefutable proof in the points themselves and backing to make those changes.

It would send the wrong message to change a winning/undefeated team just because of perceived differences in ability. There needs to be undeniable benefits to all parties in making the switch for us to keep this team spirit that's become absolutely core of our form.

All this aside, I'd be dropping Willock and Wilson next game for ASM and Isak but I don't know what kind of expectations of keeping the shirt Wilson and Willock have been given. Who knows, maybe Howe's said to the squad 'as long as this defensive run continues, I'm not changing the starting XI unless there's an injury', and it's a perfectly reasonable stance. Not one I'd make mind, but I'm not one of already the most succesful English managers in Premier League history. I'll defer to Sir Eddie.

I totally buy into that! Think we all have trust in Howe and how he handles diffrent situations with the players. 

It has worked wonders and i cant blame Howe for anything so far besides maybe wanting Isak or Maxi being subbed on earlier in some of the games.

But like i said, its just a feeling i have about him and that he seems a bit arrogant in personality. That has allways been a case with mostly flair players we had through the years.

That moment when he shaped to play the cross-field pass and skinned the guy on the inside was fantastic and very impressive. Really showed that he’s making decisions for himself and not just passing because he’s been told to pass. 

He’ll be some player if he puts it all together.  

I can see the argument for starting Isak but I think with Maxi he’s better as an impact sub right now. 

Not sure he’s a good enough cover for Burn when we’re on the defensive and think he’d be better paired with Targett if starting. 

Was one point questioning ASM but have been impressed by his recent appearances. Done enough to justify starting in my book. 

Clearly playing more of a team game. 

He opens games up just by having the ball in his possession. He's like a center of gravity to the opposition. 

Quote in the tweet above makes excellent reading too and suggests a player with the right attitude rather than moaning about or having an expectation to start. 

Have to say I'm impressed there's been no sign of a bad attitude creeping in. To be honest I wouldn't have been surprised if he had spat his dummy out by now, so full credit to him for that.

Aye he was brilliant last night when he came on, he terrorised Leeds & did ok against Fulham as well. He's came back from his injury/illness very well, I know he's arguably a saleable asset but he offers so much more than a lot of our attacking players that it would be such a shame to see him go.

Edited by KDT