Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Let’s not be willfully blind to what this really is. “Fair market value” or not I don’t think you can complain about raised eyebrows when it’s effectively our owners negotiating with themselves. The conversation will have been “how high can we make the transfer fee while still retaining plausible deniability.” Not any kind of real transfer negotiation. It’s the same problem as the Sela shirt sponsorship.

I’m not saying the sky is falling, but every time I see something like this my “this isn’t going to end well, is it?” dial for Saudi ownership clicks one notch forward. And the more successful the club is, and the higher the stakes become, the less careful they’re going to be about stuff like this.

Edited by oldtype

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Every other transfer involving other clubs seem to go through quickly, whereas with us, whether it’s incoming or outgoing, it takes an absolute age. 

I wouldn’t entirely agree really, Tonali’s was relatively quick. The ASM transfer is obviously going to be scrutinised and therefore add some time re the PIF link but Christ it’s not like we’re selling him for 80m 😂 That would definitely raise eyebrows and rightly so. But 25-30m is hardly inflating his valuation ffs when you look at other transfers going out to Saudi.

2 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Let’s not be willfully blind to what this really is. “Fair market value” or not I don’t think how you can complain about raised eyebrows when it’s effectively our owners negotiating with themselves. The conversation will have been “how high can we make the transfer fee while still retaining plausible deniability.” Not any kind of real transfer negotiation. It’s the same problem as the Sela shirt sponsorship.

I’m not saying the sky is falling, but every time I see something like this my “this isn’t going to end well, is it?” dial for Saudi ownership clicks one notch forward. And the more successful the club is, and the higher the stakes become, the less carful they’re going to be about stuff like this.

I would hope that as our revenue goes up with sponsorship this type of situation becomes less of a need or corners but I do get your concerns. I think people are almost waiting for us to trip up really. Other clubs will be desperate to jump on any chance because they know what’s coming as we build.

I just hope the fans are patient because the fact we’re the richest club in the world means sweet fa regarding the player recruitment side of the operation.

7 hours ago, Toon No9 said:

So, a few deals this summer to compare with:

Mason Mount £60M

Ruben Neves £48M

Riyad Mahrez £30M

Moussa Diaby £52M

Sandro Tonali £55M

Andre Onana £48M

Declan Rice £105M

It's also said Harvey Barnes will cost us £38M and we've had a bid of £30M for Tino Livramento turned down, as Southampton value him at £50M.

So then to say that Newcastle are putting an unrealistic high price for Allan Saint-Maximin at £30M is just ridiculous!

£30Mil is cheap if anything - he is 26 - not even at his prime.

11 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I wouldn’t entirely agree really, Tonali’s was relatively quick. The ASM transfer is obviously going to be scrutinised and therefore add some time re the PIF link but Christ it’s not like we’re selling him for 80m 😂 That would definitely raise eyebrows and rightly so. But 25-30m is hardly inflating his valuation ffs when you look at other transfers going out to Saudi.

Tonali was quick? It took almost a week from journos told us it was a done deal to the club announced it ffs 🤣

1 minute ago, BeloEmre said:

Tonali was quick? It took almost a week from journos told us it was a done deal to the club announced it ffs 🤣

The club announced it later officially  because of the accounts at the end of June if I recall, similar to Botman? I place zero significance or care about the length of time it takes to sign players nor concern about who we are signing. We’re a proper run outfit who are making good decisions. It’s the same regarding cost and previous injuries, let the clubs team

of analysts worry about those things. Ultimately when the player is holding the shirt up at the end of the process that’s all I care about. 👍

This thing with other clubs kicking up a stink... maybe they've seen the reported fee and thiunk we're underselling, and actually have our back and want us to get more for ASM, and not sell cheaply to another PIF owned club just because of the joint ownership?

:yao:

If we put it the other way around, when we bid for a player the price always seems to go up because our owners is mega rich.

Is that setting a fair price acording to market value?

For example the Livramento negotiating. We start with a bid for £12M, we've said to have a bid of £30M turned down as Southampton asking for £50M. Is that a price of market value?

Or are the PL gonna tell Southampton that they must sell for say £28M? The rules must surely go bothways? Not?🤷‍♂️

I mean if Southampton don't want to sell they will put a high price on their player to scare the bidders away.

4 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

If we put it the other way around, when we bid for a player the price always seems to go up because our owners is mega rich.

Is that setting a fair price acording to market value?

For example the Livramento negotiating. We start with a bid for £12M, we've said to have a bid of £30M turned down as Southampton asking for £50M. Is that a price of market value?

Or are the PL gonna tell Southampton that they must sell for say £28M? The rules must surely go bothways? Not?🤷‍♂️

I mean if Southampton don't want to sell they will put a high price on their player to scare the bidders away.

I think the fair value thing only applies to transfers between two clubs with the same owners.

I don't feel particularly comfortable with the concept of Saudi Arabian clubs artificially boosting our revenue through unrealistic transfers, and agree that any sort of deal between PIF-owned clubs should be inspected and scrutinised, assuming any regulators have that right. 

However, the idea that Liverpool or Spurs or whoever else might lobby against this transfer specifically is absolutely risible. We've probably under-sold if anything; I dare say to avoid that scale of scrutiny. The irony therefore being that the likes of Liverpool actually have more scope in the 'Saudi over-paying for our deadwood' game.

11 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I think the fair value thing only applies to transfers between two clubs with the same owners.

Not acording to Richard Masters:

"Premier League regulations state that every deal that is agreed above the value of £1m have to be checked to ensure they do not exceed ‘market value’, regardless of whether associated parties are involved or not."

1 hour ago, Toon No9 said:

I think the hold up of the Barnes deal is that acording to new rules PL has to investigate the ASM deal when two clubs with the same owner is doing a deal with each other. Just to see that the price is of market value.

An investigation that, I'm sure, would lead to a positive outcome for Newcastle. There is nothing strange with the fee if you look at todays market. But it takes a few days and that's extremly frustrating for us fans.

Sounds on Howe that he's not to worried about it, even though he would prefer to have Barnes in the US for the training camp.

No such transfer fee rule exists..?

1 minute ago, Toon No9 said:

Not acording to Richard Masters:

"Premier League regulations state that every deal that is agreed above the value of £1m have to be checked to ensure they do not exceed ‘market value’, regardless of whether associated parties are involved or not."

That concerns commercial deals afaik

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't feel particularly comfortable with the concept of Saudi Arabian clubs artificially boosting our revenue through unrealistic transfers, and agree that any sort of deal between PIF-owned clubs should be inspected and scrutinised, assuming any regulators have that right. 

However, the idea that Liverpool or Spurs or whoever else might lobby against this transfer specifically is absolutely risible. We've probably under-sold if anything; I dare say to avoid that scale of scrutiny. The irony therefore being that the likes of Liverpool actually have more scope in the 'Saudi over-paying for our deadwood' game.

This is them in full-on butt hurt mode after we kept them out of the CL. You'll notice City, Arsenal and Man Utd aren't kicking up any fuss.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I can almost guarantee that no-one at Al-Ahli (or any Saudi club) cares about inflating transfer fees to help Newcastle. As with all companies under PIF, you’re essentially competing against one another for a bigger slice of the proverbial pie. 

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Every other transfer involving other clubs seem to go through quickly, whereas with us, whether it’s incoming or outgoing, it takes an absolute age. 

It really doesn’t 

1 hour ago, BeloEmre said:

A whole week?! How did we survive 

8 hours ago, McCormick said:

I can almost guarantee that no-one at Al-Ahli (or any Saudi club) cares about inflating transfer fees to help Newcastle. As with all companies under PIF, you’re essentially competing against one another for a bigger slice of the proverbial pie. 

They would very much care if they were being directed by PIF to do so.

Bit sad about this, not really about what it means for us as we’ll be fine but I hope ASM gets what he wants. I’d have thought his ego would want proper success and I hope he returns to the top leagues again soon but either way, thanks for giving us some amazing moments when things were particularly shit