Emil Krafth

Nobody

Guest HTT II

His best game for us last night, he still needs binned, however. Got into lots of great positions passing wise and constantly over hits the pass and must have again passed the ball out of play more often than not. Defensively he was very good, but then Wolves did offer very little going forward. I prefer Manquillo…

I'm still not exactly a fan, but thought he had a decent game last night. I think it's pretty impressive that he's gone from a liability to someone quite dependable recently.

That has to be credit to Howe. With Joelinton, it turns out he needed a whole different position.

With Krafth, he's managed to get performances out of someone playing in the same position - a position that from all previous evidence I didn't think he was capable of playing in. Nice work.

Biggest complement I can give him is that at the start of the season if I saw his name on the team sheet I winced.   Now, I dont.    He has improved under Howe but is he part of NUFC future, unlikely!

I will wish him well and a thanks for what he has done this season!

Biggest compliment I can pay him, is that until recently I'd have always wanted Manq in ahead of him, but when I looked at the teamsheet yesterday I was content he was playing.

Still want Trippier back ASAP, but he's dependable.

In a short space of time he's gone from being arguably one of the weakest players in our entire squad to playing well and making an important contribution. If he can keep that improvement going there's no reason why he can't have a decent future here.

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

His best game for us last night, he still needs binned, however. Got into lots of great positions passing wise and constantly over hits the pass and must have again passed the ball out of play more often than not. Defensively he was very good, but then Wolves did offer very little going forward. I prefer Manquillo…

Manquillo seems to require a couple of games to settle in. Not really useful in a backup that might only get 2-3 games at a time. Manquillo would be my preference of the two for first choice, but Krafth looks a little more reliable as back-up.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Quite clear Howe thinks he's more reliable than Manq

Was pleased to see him in the side ahead of Manquillo last night. From what I've seen, he's more reliable as a defender and doesn't shirk anything. Obviously, not a superstar, but I had very low expectations for him and, like others have said, he's making a solid contribution to the team. Fair play to him.

15 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He's done superb today, that moment when ran back 50 years to cover for Schar's missing the ball and managed to block Hwang's shot was key in the game.

I know he's not the quickest but that seems excessive.

Think he’s become reliable and useful under Howe. In a world where you need a squad, I’m fine with this version of him.  

One thing I’d be keen to see him work on is to combine his surprising burst of pace and ability to read where space is developing quickly with the confidence to whip a good cross in a play a more ambitious pass. Often he does the first 2 bits well, and then stops and comes back. 

Well done to Eddie!

Couldn't stand seeing him on the team sheet not too long ago, and he has been solid over a few games now.

Fair play to himtp and the coaching team.

His backing off seems to have virtually dissappeared...amazing!!

Pretty sure Krafth will have a short-term future at the club for at least next season. Under Howe I think Krafth has now pulled level with Manquillo in terms of being Trippier's understudy. And his ability to cover CB gives him an edge over Manquillo. Feel like the owners & Howe have both been pushing the "evolution not revolution" line. Can't see a back-up RB being part of the plans this Summer. Summer 2023 is when they make a move a for a top quality young RB to come in and gradually take over from Trippier over the span of a couple seasons. 

We look far more solid with him at RB than Manquillo.

Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that but in the roughly 10 hours he has played since Trippier was injured we have conceded only 3 goals, compared to 7 in the 3 hours of football with Manquillo or Murphy there.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that but in the roughly 10 hours he has played since Trippier was injured we have conceded only 3 goals, compared to 7 in the 3 hours of football with Manquillo or Murphy there.

That's good enough for me. It has been clear that Manquillo has struggled with his opportunities, I think he takes a couple of games to find his level, which isn't much good for a back up. Whereas Krafth seems to step in quite comfortably.

33 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Think [least of our priorities but if an option becomes available] we should get a youngster in, to learn from Trippier. Probably means offloading Manquillo, but it's probably better for him if he goes somewhere as first choice.

Definitely. As someone else said, probably in 2023 rather than this Summer though. I imagine that would raise the quality of our possible signings.

41 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Taken on it's own though, that's a hell of a stat. I could've seen Krafth stopping Everton's goal if he'd been there rather than Manquillo.

17 minutes ago, 80 said:

Definitely. As someone else said, probably in 2023 rather than this Summer though. I imagine that would raise the quality of our possible signings.

As I say, not a priority, but Trippier is likely to be the first of our new look team to need replacing, so it kind of makes sense that our first future star is in that position, for continuity purposes. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.