Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

The mag don’t have an editorial line and if you submit something it gets published. Have written some myself. Quality  varies 😄

Me too, mine was class mind.

Was it about pardew?  :tongue:

:lol: :lol:

Amnesty have earned the right to talk about this stuff. That's the difference.

This isnt some loudmouth southern journalist looking for a cheap storyline.

When you see someone who has dedicated their whole life to this sort of thing, fair enough.

Classic whataboutery in sure...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/06/amnesty-international-has-toxic-working-culture-report-finds

Staff reported multiple accounts of discrimination on the basis of race and gender and which women, staff of colour and LGBTQI employees were targeted or treated unfairly.

SA or AI?

But Stones and glass houses etc...someone took their own life due to it as well.

I don’t think anyone has stuck up for them. More pointed out other bigger abusers of humanitarian rights who go almost unchallenged.

The concentration camps in China are abhorrent, their execution rate is multiples of the Saudis and yet it’s swept under the carpet. Amnesty International and everyone else are using the alleged takeover as an easy way of making news and unfortunately it appears it’s us the fans that are the fall guys in all of this.

I think everyone will admit there’s bigger fish to fry than the Saudis but they’re a harder target.

This post has proved the point of lots of folk posting in this thread.

"I'm not sticking up for the Saudis, but stop having a go at the Saudis cos they're buying my team. Look over here! Look over here!"

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/campaign/expose-chinese-camps

For example. When did you start your stance on human rights?  I’m guessing the vast majority of the people vocally against the new ownership have never protested about human rights previously, complained to the government about the trade deals with SA etc etc.  But now it’s ‘affecting’ them it’s a major issue.  And saying Chinas issues doesn’t count because they’re not buying the club doesn’t really sit that well either. It just reeks of nimbyism.

If SA is good enough for the British government, voted in by the British public then it’s got to be ok hasn’t it?  If not why isn’t  the first stop to go for them not the ordinary Joe’s that just want to see a competitive club again?

if only i could work out how to post pictures on this board again.

have a couple of nice ones of the president of the English FA having a lovely friendly visit from Prince Salman. the nice prince even went to see his mum.

I don’t think anyone has stuck up for them. More pointed out other bigger abusers of humanitarian rights who go almost unchallenged.

The concentration camps in China are abhorrent, their execution rate is multiples of the Saudis and yet it’s swept under the carpet. Amnesty International and everyone else are using the alleged takeover as an easy way of making news and unfortunately it appears it’s us the fans that are the fall guys in all of this.

I think everyone will admit there’s bigger fish to fry than the Saudis but they’re a harder target.

This post has proved the point of lots of folk posting in this thread.

"I'm not sticking up for the Saudis, but stop having a go at the Saudis cos they're buying my team. Look over here! Look over here!"

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/campaign/expose-chinese-camps

For example. When did you start your stance on human rights?  I’m guessing the vast majority of the people vocally against the new ownership have never protested about human rights previously, complained to the government about the trade deals with SA etc etc.  But now it’s ‘affecting’ them it’s a major issue.  And saying Chinas issues doesn’t count because they’re not buying the club doesn’t really sit that well either. It just reeks of nimbyism.

If SA is good enough for the British government, voted in by the British public then it’s got to be ok hasn’t it?  If not why isn’t  the first stop to go for them not the ordinary Joe’s that just want to see a competitive club again?

We have to be careful to unpick the fans being criticised from the new owners being criticised. They’re making a major new move into the Premier League, you’d absolutely expect Amnesty and others to protest against that. It’s their job.

Of course Newcastle fans aren’t to blame. That’s silly. But we have to be careful to avoid the need to defend some quite horrific people just because they own our club.

Criticising Amnesty just makes you look an idiot TBH. They’re campaigning to protect people from genuinely horrific things.

And yet it appears that AI themselves don't have a pristine record. Don't get me wrong, the sentiment of what they supposedly stand for in war torn areas, oppressive regimes and the like is something to applaud, but if buying the club has a good impact on thousands of lives what business is it of there's to condemn it. As I've said before, I'm not supporting Saudi Arabia, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt and distancing their businesses from their historical issues while keeping my interests purely my own. Can I turn a blind eye to what they've done in the past, I'd rather not but maybe I can to some degree, I'm not a human rights protester myself, I'm open enough about that, it doesn't affect me directly and if they can do some good elsewhere with a different venture like our club then I'll concentrate on that. I don't see why Newcastle or it's fans should be penalised in enjoying the change of ownership by people that have nothing to do with them.

Criticising Amnesty just makes you look an idiot TBH. They’re campaigning to protect people from genuinely horrific things.

And yet it appears that AI themselves don't have a pristine record. Don't get me wrong, the sentiment of what they supposedly stand for in war torn areas, oppressive regimes and the like is something to applaud, but if buying the club has a good impact on thousands of lives what business is it of there's to condemn it. As I've said before, I'm not supporting Saudi Arabia, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt and distancing their businesses from their historical issues while keeping my interests purely my own. Can I turn a blind eye to what they've done in the past, I'd rather not but maybe I can to some degree, I'm not a human rights protester myself, I'm open enough about that, it doesn't affect me directly and if they can do some good elsewhere with a different venture like our club then I'll concentrate on that. I don't see why Newcastle or it's fans should be penalised in enjoying the change of ownership by people that have nothing to do with them.

So their workplace is toxic, is comparable to SA's regime? Come on now.

Maybe, the rest of the post stands though.

So their workplace is toxic, is comparable to SA's regime? Come on now.

TBF someone killed themselves, doesn't really get much worse than death. The bullying seemed to be rife as well.

BTW i'm not saying anything that has been said against Amnesty is correct, or they shouldn't be getting involved, i'm still working out how i feel so trying to balance the scales.

So let me get this right, when discussing the merits of Saudi ownership, you arent allowed to mention:

Other areas where we already contribute to Saudi wealth (buying petrol for example)

The other things we buy such as iPhones, built by other questionable states.

Sheffield United (because that's COMPLETELY different)

Other premiership owners because although they are undoubtedly bad people, they arent states, therefore its completely irrelevant.

The fact that the government already deals in arms with SA.

MBS being welcomed with open arms by our government and monarch

It's almost as if this arguement is being weighted to help one particular side of the debate.  :lol: :lol:

So let me get this right, when discussing the merits of Saudi ownership, you arent allowed to mention:

Other areas where we already contribute to Saudi wealth (buying petrol for example)

The other things we buy such as iPhones, built by other questionable states.

Sheffield United (because that's COMPLETELY different)

Other premiership owners because although they are undoubtedly bad people, they arent states, therefore its completely irrelevant.

The fact that the government already deals in arms with SA.

MBS being welcomed with open arms by our government and monarch

It's almost as if this arguement is being weighted to help one particular side of the debate.  :lol: :lol:

It is. 'Whataboutery' is being used to disable the debate, i personally don't think its fair for the balance of debate.