Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have no problem whatsoever with Amnesty International, they are probably as fair as they can be, although their world view is not going to be shared by all cultures across the globe. The world isn't run by rules set by Amnesty unfortunately, which is why this takeover will go through. I am a realist, and in the football world, you are either on the inside or the outside looking in. Amnesty International aren't doing anything wrong by pointing out the evils of the SA regime, but they were no use to us when Mike Ashley was screwing us to the wall. That's it really.

Just received message from somebody involved in American bid for NUFC last year. “Surprised your league would accept an offer from Saudis; nba, nfl, baseball, excuse Yank expression but no way jose..” But PL focuses on cash not ethics; highly unlikely to object to Saudi takeover.

Just received message from somebody involved in American bid for NUFC last year. “Surprised your league would accept an offer from Saudis; nba, nfl, baseball, excuse Yank expression but no way jose..” But PL focuses on cash not ethics; highly unlikely to object to Saudi takeover.

If the Americans had put the money down, our league would definitely have accepted their offer as well. But when you want to buy a club, yeah cash does count above ethics all said and done. Good luck in trying to buy a club with good intentions and an I.O.U.

I have no problem whatsoever with Amnesty International, they are probably as fair as they can be, although their world view is not going to be shared by all cultures across the globe. The world isn't run by rules set by Amnesty unfortunately, which is why this takeover will go through. I am a realist, and in the football world, you are either on the inside or the outside looking in. Amnesty International aren't doing anything wrong by pointing out the evils of the SA regime, but they were no use to us when Mike Ashley was screwing us to the wall. That's it really.

Mike Ashley isn't a country and he doesn't kill people

He’s the size of one and his warehouse has tried really hard to

Neither does Amanda Staveley.

What a nonsense response

What a nonsense response

It was a fitting response.

I'm actually embarrassed for you that you've posted that.

i reckon the aquisition of a high profile premier league club will be a positive for the saudi people in the long run.

the amount of scrutiny the regime is under will increase and they are going to be very careful with their public image.

they're not going to turn into a western style democracy but i feel there will be changes.

What a nonsense response

It was a fitting response.

Jesus Christ

Why exactly? I'm just a fan, Amanda Staveley is actually an investment partner in this takeover. How is that more stupid than stating an entire country kills people?

Guest neesy111

Why exactly? I'm just a fan, Amanda Staveley is actually an investment partner in this takeover. How is that more stupid than stating an entire country kills people?

You've lost the plot.

We're getting taken over by the Saudi government, a government that kills and tortures and bombs people.

Can someone get banned for idiocy on here?

We're getting taken over by the Saudi government, a government that kills and tortures and bombs people.

Do you know of a government that doesn't torture or bomb people?

My own country for one. Presumably absolutely loads of countries don't bomb or torture anyone?

Even if every country in the world was bombing people, none of those are buying Newcastle United. What a horrendous excuse. 200 wrongs make a right

Guest neesy111

They are not buying NUFC though.  It's quite simple.

Can I ask, just because I think it's a pertinent question: given the choice, would all those showing their clear disgust and hatred of Saudi Arabia prefer to stay with Mike Ashley's regime rather than the Saudi's buy us? I'm just curious as to how much weight they put in to their convictions or whether it's a bandwagon to be jumped on. If Ashley is the preference then fair enough, if not then I don't understand how you'll ever be able to enjoy supporting the club or any future successes under a PIF regime.

Can I ask, just because I think it's a pertinent question: given the choice, would all those showing their clear disgust and hatred of Saudi Arabia prefer to stay with Mike Ashley's regime rather than the Saudi's buy us? I'm just curious as to how much weight they put in to their convictions or whether it's a bandwagon to be jumped on. If Ashley is the preference then fair enough, if not then I don't understand how you'll ever be able to enjoy supporting the club or any future successes under a PIF regime.

Nothing changes, for now. My celebrations that Ashley is gone will be smothered by the knowledge of what is to come, leaving me in exactly the same position I am now.

NUFC will always be my club so I will continue watching from afar. I do know that if they succeed I will get excited again. That's the deal isn't it? They excite me and I forget who they are.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

For me, this isn't the issue. As I've posted earlier, I'm glad Ashley is going and I'm conflicted over our new owners. I really want to enjoy supporting us again. I just think it's really important that we're all fully aware as fans as to who our owners are, and not go out of our way to attempt to justify, make crazy comparisons, or be seen as supportive of what they do or stand for. I just think a lot of fans are too desperate for a clean, euphoric break from Mike Ashley - which I totally understand and want as well - but sadly that's not reality.

I don't think anyone is saying "don't support the club", but in people's desperation to enjoy this moment there seems a refusal to just acknowledge that Saudi state involvement is generally not s good thing. Yes it may bring success to our team.and investment to our region, but we all.need to remain cognisant of where the money has come from, the state we're now associated with and what they've done and continue to do from a human rights perspective.

Here we gan.

This is going to be a long however-long-they-own-us. :anguish:

Saudi Arabia is one of the UK’s most important trading partners. The UK exported £6 billion worth of goods and services to Saudi Arabia in 2018 (ONS, 2019). British companies present in the market include Shell, GlaxoSmithKline, BAE Systems, Rolls Royce and Unilever.

What sanctions have the British government got in place against the Saudis currently? 

this is why i don't fully understand this "they're not buying the club" stuff when certain people are pointing out that the country in which the PL operates actively pursues the saudi's to sell them weapons to murder people because we (as a country) appear to love money so much that their "war" or and other atrocities don't even register on any of our news cycles 99% of the time

the PL operates within this environment of complicity and the club within the PL

the hierarchy of responsibility for who should take a stand against the regime should go something like UN sanctions>>>>>>>>>>UK gov>>>>>PL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nufc fans

i mean ultimately there are 2 options right? 1) take a stand and wash your hands of the club entirely, perhaps start protesting outside the ground etc. depending how strongly you feel and 2) get comfortable with your own hypocrisy in order to rid us of ashley and see us become a competitive football club again

i'm leaning towards 2 but given my age now and how long it's been since i was a proper matchgoing fan it's not likely to be that much of an issue, ashley robbed me of the best years with my kid so i'll probably remain more of an interested observer than an active fan going forward

saudi regime are reprehensible cunts though, for the avoidance of doubt, i'd just quite like to see rafa benitez leading nufc out with the champions league theme blaring in the background sometime :/