Newcastle United 0-0 Burnley - 29/02/20 - post match from p7

Disco

Dinosaurs bang on about "Freeing Ritchie up" and goes and plays like that.

Gayle's so much better than Joelinton its not funny though.

Would have been interesting to see Joe up front in this formation, with Almiron doing all that running in close proximity.

Put Gayle up top in the even more negative 5 at the back we've been playing and let's see how that works out then.

It really wouldn't have been interesting at all. He's shit and has no striking instincts at all about him.

Yeah, we just need that missing link to finish off the plethora of opportunities this wonderful attacking team creates. Sure :lol:

Dinosaurs bang on about "Freeing Ritchie up" and goes and plays like that.

Gayle's so much better than Joelinton its not funny though.

Would have been interesting to see Joe up front in this formation, with Almiron doing all that running in close proximity.

Put Gayle up top in the even more negative 5 at the back we've been playing and let's see how that works out then.

It really wouldn't have been interesting at all. He's shit and has no striking instincts at all about him.

Yes. Gayle gave us a better quality of 0-0 tbf.

The whole team selection was about keeping Joelinton in the side. Needed to play him out on the left so that he is not expected to score goals. To accommodate that we drop ASM and play Almiron through the middle despite wide left being his best position.  Because we've moved him from his regular wide right square peg in round hole position  we need to play Ritchie wide right.

It is an absolute joke, I just wish it was funny

The whole team selection was about keeping Joelinton in the side. Needed to play him out on the left so that he is not expected to score goals. To accommodate that we drop ASM and play Almiron through the middle despite wide left being his best position.  Because we've moved him from his regular wide right square peg in round hole position  we need to play Ritchie wide right.

It is an absolute joke, I just wish it was funny

Could have easily played Joelinton behind Gayle, Almiron on the left and ASM on the right.

Almiron and ASM do not consistently produce anything cutting inside. Just switch the sides they have played all season and have them whip balls into the box.

Bruce is thick and has no idea to try different things even during the game.

Just picks one formation and no matter how badly it might be going he just leaves it as it is.

Not playing our best player was a masterstroke from Bruce like. This is pardew levels of ridiculous.

What's Bruce blaming in his presser. The fans? His players? Dycheys good side? Corona Virus? The argentinian steaks they had on tuesday?

Not playing our best player was a masterstroke from Bruce like. This is pardew levels of ridiculous.

What's Bruce blaming in his presser. The fans? His players? Dycheys good side? Corona Virus? The argentinian steaks they had on tuesday?

"I didn't play ASM today as the stats show that Ben Arfa loses the ball more than any other player." - Steve Bruce, 2020.

Disagree about Miggy. He is good wide left but free role behind the striker is his best position, his preferred position and where he was obscenely successfully at Atlanta. No surprise he was our best player when playing there today.

I dont mind him wide left but dont think he will get that spot as they wont put ASM on the Right. The downside is having to play Ritchie if he plays through the middle so I get the argument.

I just don't see anything redeeming in Joelinton. He's not quick, he's not strong, he's not good technically. Not surprising since he was Ashley's personal pick.

£40m down the drain.

Thank fuck we didn't stump up the £16m for that 29 year old bloke.

Bruce

A lot of postivies - few recent defeats, but it's a point and a clean sheet. More efforts on goal but didn't take any opportunities. Didn't want to tamper with Rafa's system because we were comfortable, but it was time to change it. Lack of goals is our achillies heal.

A load of hot air.

Bowen’s goal was lovely too - good run into the box and a cool finish man. He’d have honestly been a great addition to the team.

I've not seen Bowen, but I imagine we didn't want to spend money on him because it's more important to keep agents happy. Why spend £20m on a goal scorer when you can take a £40m punt on an overseas long shot instead?