Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

There's a good article in the Athletic today on the PIF and how the acquisition of NUFC fits into their 2030 vision. It goes through some of their other investments this year too.

Yeah that was a great read. Particularly interesting re their potential idea to mimic the City Football Group model, with them supposedly already having looked into Botafogo. Do they just love black and white stripes or summin?

Being Botafogo's parent club would be canny, like. :lol:

There's a good article in the Athletic today on the PIF and how the acquisition of NUFC fits into their 2030 vision. It goes through some of their other investments this year too.

Yeah that was a great read. Particularly interesting re their potential idea to mimic the City Football Group model, with them supposedly already having looked into Botafogo. Do they just love black and white stripes or summin?

Being Botafogo's parent club would be canny, like. :lol:

Triggering my PTSD from years of work permit woes in football manager.

I'm starting to think we've got it the wrong way round. The Premier league want the takeover and are doing a Cummings, trying to find excuses to get round reasons why they should stop it ie piracy.

Totally agree, I think they'll be under quite a bit of pressure from the government to make sure this goes through, as there's no way they'll want to risk any loss in trade with the Saudis on the back of an already damaged economy and an almost certain no deal Brexit.

Can't see the PL walking away from a possible lucrative TV deal with KSA too.

It only takes one person, who thinks they are a knight in shining armour, that wants a bit of attention to quash this thing so they can make a name for themselves.

As for the Saudis ploughing money into the PL... they cant on the one hand show they have a sound financial plan for Newcastle abiding fair play rules and also say "oh and we are going to hoy billions into the league!"

The two things cant go hand in hand.

Wonder what the Sunday rags’ headlines will be tonight then?

One positive coming out of the PL restarting is that the newspapers have something else to talk about.

I'm starting to think we've got it the wrong way round. The Premier league want the takeover and are doing a Cummings, trying to find excuses to get round reasons why they should stop it ie piracy.

this is what i've been saying for weeks, imo they're covering their arses and trying to find ways to sell the decision to their broadcasting partners

BeIN aside, all their broadcast partners would be in favour of it. The chance of another team who can compete at the top for the best players. They will be all over it.

If the PIF is rejected, could they feasibly buy us through Aramaco?

Al-Rumayyan is the Chairman of Aramco so if this takeover fails then there is no chance Aramco can complete a takeover, all issues (human rights, piracy etc) would be the same

Al-Rumayyan is squeaky clean - he's not even part of the royal family, in fact he's Shi'ite (is that how it's spelled?). Strong recruitment by MBS in any case :lol:

Imo, the main issue with PIF is that it is by definition state owned. It is funded and regulated by the country. So there will always be a direct link between PIF and the government even if MBS was not explicitly nominated as a Chairman.

Al-Rumayyan is the Chairman of Aramco so if this takeover fails then there is no chance Aramco can complete a takeover, all issues (human rights, piracy etc) would be the same

Al-Rumayyan is squeaky clean - he's not even part of the royal family, in fact he's Shi'ite (is that how it's spelled?). Strong recruitment by MBS in any case :lol:

Imo, the main issue with PIF is that it is by definition state owned. It is funded and regulated by the country. So there will always be a direct link between PIF and the government even if MBS was not explicitly nominated as a Chairman.

Was just thinking the other day Stavely’s husband is Iranian, certainly not an expert on the Middle East, but relations between Saudi and Iran never seem the best.

Taking into account the hardline rule in Iran, I wonder how common it is for Iranians to deal with Saudis and Israelis.

It maybe he just lives in UAE now and never ventures back, but you certainly can’t accuse this consortium of not being diverse.

I’d be very surprised if the chairman of PIF was a Shia - that’s like asking Yasir Arafat to be the Israeli prime minister - he’ll either be Sunni or Wahabi (likely to be Wahabi) - it’s the Iranians that are by in large Shia’s and Saudis Wahabi’s

It only takes one person, who thinks they are a knight in shining armour, that wants a bit of attention to quash this thing so they can make a name for themselves.

As for the Saudis ploughing money into the PL... they cant on the one hand show they have a sound financial plan for Newcastle abiding fair play rules and also say "oh and we are going to hoy billions into the league!"

The two things cant go hand in hand.

They can plough money in while following a financial plan that stays within FFP.  Newcastle's spending could have been about £160m higher in the last 3 years without breaching FFP and that's with current revenue levels.  Using that extra money put in to build the clubs revenue would allow for much bigger spending in the following years.

I’d be very surprised if the chairman of PIF was a Shia - that’s like asking Yasir Arafat to be the Israeli prime minister - he’ll either be Sunni or Wahabi (likely to be Wahabi) - it’s the Iranians that are by in large Shia’s and Saudis Wahabi’s

That's right. My memory might be playing tricks on me but I remember MBS himself mentioning this in answer to a question about mistreatment/discrimination of Shia minorities in SA.

It's probably from MBS' 60 minutes interview.

Anyone still believe this will be done on the 1st of June?

No, I don’t think anyone expects it to be done within the next week or so.

Aye thought so. That WTO report has shrunk the faith and belief of most fans.

What's to stop the Premier League spending the rest of the calendar year pissing about with this while the club floats around in limbo without an owner? There has to be some kind of limit or timeline they will have, privately and internally surely...

Guest godzilla

I honestly think if it's not done by next week then it points to there being serious problems, and that the no red flag snippets coming out are a load of shit.

I honestly think if it's not done by next week then it points to there being serious problems, and that the no red flag snippets coming out are a load of shit.

Why next week specifically?

Guest godzilla

I honestly think if it's not done by next week then it points to there being serious problems, and that the no red flag snippets coming out are a load of s***.

Why next week specifically?

Well, the Project Restart is over now even though there are still a few items to be finalised (I don't fully agree that this was a major reason for the takeover not being signed off anyway), the Premier League have had by then 8 weeks to go through everything. Reports from the buyers have indicated that the two way process so far have been conducted with no red flags coming up, including the WTO report which was submitted nearly 3 weeks ago.

Reports last week from journalists (viewed on here as being trusted) stating that the tests had been completed and/or hinting awaiting official confirmation. So if that is the case and also taking into the account the transfer of money, then if there are no issues; in my view there is nothing stopping it being resolved next week. I'm not saying it will mind just my thoughts on why I think next week - unless as I said, there are actually issues and what is coming out from the buyers is bullshit.

I’m not saying it won’t be next week, it just that I don’t expect it to be.

There has been a few weeks gone by where I have thought it would be completed and it obviously hasn’t been.

So at this point I’m not expecting it to be next week, if it is then fantastic.

At the minute though according to what the press know, it hasn’t officially been signed off and there has been a settling down of journalists guessing about it being done soon.

Guest godzilla

There has been a few weeks gone by where I have thought it would be completed and it obviously hasn’t been.

At the minute though according to what the press know, it hasn’t officially been signed off and there has been a settling down of journalists guessing about it being done soon.

You maybe right, but if it's not then I think questions should be asked why. The journalists I don't think have been guessing, I think it's information being slipped by parties of the buyers. Time will tell, but I'm certainly nowhere near as confident as I was say 10 days ago that it will go through.

You maybe right, but if it's not then I think questions should be asked why. The journalists I don't think have been guessing, I think it's information being slipped by parties of the buyers. Time will tell, but I'm certainly nowhere near as confident as I was say 10 days ago that it will go through.

I wouldn’t say I’m less confident of it not happening, more frustrated certainly.

If it doesn’t happen in the next week I don’t think my confidence will go down. Yes questions should be asked why it’s taking so long. However we should have had answers to questions relating to the ownership of our club for years and years. On top of this these questions should probably have started to being answered a month into D&O test.