Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I think if we don’t get a decision by a week on Friday, serious questions need to be asked of PL. At that point I believe we’d be looking at them actually refusing to make a decision due to fear of legal action.

The question then will be are PIF going to walk away or can they force them to make a decision through court action. I actually believe it will be Ashley at this point who will instigates legal proceedings.

It can't just 'fizzle out' though. As typical as it would be.

I agree but if it falls through, do we feel like we'd get a full story or just a "they failed the O&D test" ?

The latter most likely, with plenty of face saving, finger pointing and rumour.

:thup: I agree. :(

Serious questions should have been asked of the PL about 12 weeks ago when they literally told MA and the Buyer's that this should take 4 weeks and then 12 weeks later still in the same boat only that they've let this entire thing play out in public whilst a club is left completely in limbo with an owner who doesn't want it and a fan base and region who are gasping for clarity and hope.

The takeover has yet to be ratified or rejected. As things stand, it remains with the Premier League and nobody beyond a few select people there knows what happens next. The prospective buyers, as they have throughout, remain confident, though.

Had to fix that line for him.

I feel this time if it fizzles out, a lot more questions will need to be answered as it has involved a lot of people, such as Masters, MPs, the Saudis. It will need an end, an answer of a yes or no atleast but it can't just fizzle out.

If this takeover were to fail I think it will cause a significant amount of concern for the owners of the larger clubs.

Club's like Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City are worth so much that there are very few people or organisations in the world who could afford to buy them, of those who could afford to buy them only a tiny number of them have morally and/or legally clean hands.  This means that to those who currently own a big club and who may wish to sell in the future, the failure of the PIF acquisition of NUFC due to the O&D test would represent a major threat to the value of their club because of how few organisations who could afford them could also pass the O&D test.

Imagine, for a moment, that tomorrow the Abu Dhabi United Group wanted to sell their ownership of Manchester City - who in the world could afford the $3billion to $5billion they would want?  Of those who might afford a $3billion price tag, how many of them could pass the legal and moral test apparently being applied to PIF (heck, could they themselves pass the test)?  This means that the value of MCFC becomes less than what the Abu Dhabi United Group may want/need, because if they were compelled to sell for any reason (e.g. a global financial crisis) they would have to sell to whomever could pass the test and not sell at the actual value of the club (the price of something is not just what that thing is worth but is also what someone is willing/able to pay for it).

The outcome of this PIF acquisition is huge and a failure of the sale could have massive ramifications for the league's other club owners.

:smug:

If this takeover were to fail I think it will cause a significant amount of concern for the owners of the larger clubs.

Club's like Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City are worth so much that there are very few people or organisations in the world who could afford to buy them, of those who could afford to buy them only a tiny number of them have morally and/or legally clean hands.  This means that to those who currently own a big club and who may wish to sell in the future, the failure of the PIF acquisition of NUFC due to the O&D test would represent a major threat to the value of their club because of how few organisations who could afford them could also pass the O&D test.

Imagine, for a moment, that tomorrow the Abu Dhabi United Group wanted to sell their ownership of Manchester City - who in the world could afford the $3billion to $5billion they would want?  Of those who might afford a $3billion price tag, how many of them could pass the legal and moral test apparently being applied to PIF (heck, could they themselves pass the test)?  This means that the value of MCFC becomes less than what the Abu Dhabi United Group may want/need, because if they were compelled to sell for any reason (e.g. a global financial crisis) they would have to sell to whomever could pass the test and not sell at the actual value of the club (the price of something is not just what that thing is worth but is also what someone is willing/able to pay for it).

The outcome of this PIF acquisition is huge and a failure of the sale could have massive ramifications for the league's other club owners.

Very good point, the PL by making this such a lengthy and public test run the risk of putting off a lot of potential investors.

But playing devils advocate the top 6 clubs will be very aware there’s few people who could afford a billion plus to buy a club. One of the few groups they would have ear marked able to do this would be PIF, therefore if they fail the test they’re still technically in the market.

Who’s to say a face saving operation doesn’t happen, and PIF are told wait until bein contract ends, then you can come and buy one of our clubs when all this dies down.

One thing I’m very sure of here is that this test has gone beyond its remit, the PL are trying to feather their own nest with this deal, and I suspect they feel as though with NUFC they can get away with it. Would they be using the sale of Man U for example to solve piracy.

I know a lot of people don't buy the 'only at NUFC' line but at the moment, I find it hard to believe that if this was someone else, IE the man u fans or (definitely) Liverpool fans who were being left in limbo, there wouldn't be a lot more noise being made by the media about how they 'need answers' and that it 'can't go on forever'.

I've always been in the boat that it'll happen when it happens and that we don't need updates constantly, but I have to admit it's beyond that now, I am starting to think they've already been told to come back later.

I have also been optimistic until this past two weeks. Now I am thinking this will die of neglect from the PL which is what it really wants. And yeah, I don’t want to sound provincial but I agree with many of you that we are bing dicked around because it’s NUFC and there is no fucking way this would be going on like this with one of the “bigger clubs.”

I think I will be Hilarious if the premier league annoy the Saudis enough through bending over backwards to Qatar/BeIN for them to pull out and then take them to the cleaners in court and then Qatar/BeIN head guy gets found guilty of Corruption/bribery which would then make the BeIN deal untenable losing them millions. If Richard Masters can’t make a decision be it yes or no, he shouldn’t be in the job.

Feels clear enough that they dont give a shit how shady the buyers are or what kind of human rights violations they do. All they care about is money and their product (piracy).

Feels clear enough that they dont give a shit how shady the buyers are or what kind of human rights violations they do. All they care about is money and their product (piracy).

Its only ever been about how much money they can extract from the buyers. Noticed how quiet all the human rights objectors have gone for the last few weeks. A big fat cheque from PIF to PL would have had this sorted weeks ago. Unfortunately contracts and lawyers get in the way, so it has to look above board

Just read the article on The Athletic, doesn’t reveal anything new.

Is there any suggestion as to why there still isn't an answer?

Nope.

Just talks about the club is in limbo and includes quotes from SJH and Jay Spearing....

Listening to the podcast now.

I'm struggling to understand why these journalists struggle to understand why one country may have different rules to other countries.

Just because we bundle sports rights here, doesn't mean other countries have to follow suit.

I'm struggling to understand why these journalists struggle to understand why one country may have different rules to other countries.

Just because we bundle sports rights here, doesn't mean other countries have to follow suit.

Well sure, but companies in those countries have no "right" to buy the broadcasting rights in a way that suits them. PL decides how they want to sell it and then its up to you if you want to buy them or not.

Well sure, but companies in those countries have no "right" to buy the broadcasting rights in a way that suits them. PL decides how they want to sell it and then its up to you if you want to buy them or not.

Indeed, no argument here. If the PL wants to sell rights on a regional basis they are free to.

Guest chopey

The Premier league have come across as very weak in all this, at first I was quite pleased as they looked like they were being very professional and thorough, but it turns out they just cant make a decision and are desperately trying to cover their backs incase of repercussions to the detriment of the club, its employees and the supporters, grow a backbone Masters.