Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Probably missed the discussion on this already. But what are people’s thoughts on being owned by a bunch of reprehensible scumbags, who make Mike Ashley seem fairly decent in comparison?

I’m caught in two minds. Obviously happy that it looks like the fat t*** is finally on his way out and I can enjoy football again. But been fairly critical of the Saudi regime in the past and have read plenty of horror stories about them.

I like right next door to them and honestly they're not  half as bad as the media tries to portray them, what many people in the UK think of them is quite far from the reality.

They literally kill journalists ffs :lol:

Guest neesy111

Does the fit and proper person text exist? Has anyone ever failed?

Think one of those Leeds blokes failed? It's about money and proving you have it rather than morals I think

This is correct.

Think you just have to be a person. Not actively in jail.

this is from wiki on how to fail it so how reliable it is :dontknow:

They have power or influence over another Football League club

They hold a significant interest in another Football League club

They become prohibited by law from being a director

They are filing for bankruptcy

They have been director of a club while it has suffered two or more unconnected events of insolvency

They have been a director of two or more clubs of which, while they have been director, has suffered an event of insolvency

Guest neesy111

Probably missed the discussion on this already. But what are people’s thoughts on being owned by a bunch of reprehensible scumbags, who make Mike Ashley seem fairly decent in comparison?

I’m caught in two minds. Obviously happy that it looks like the fat t*** is finally on his way out and I can enjoy football again. But been fairly critical of the Saudi regime in the past and have read plenty of horror stories about them.

I like right next door to them and honestly they're not  half as bad as the media tries to portray them, what many people in the UK think of them is quite far from the reality.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2020/country-chapters/saudi-arabia

Think one of those Leeds blokes failed? It's about money and proving you have it rather than morals I think

Pretty much I think

there's absolutely no way it fails man, why are people even considering it might :lol:

because theres the involvement of the literal saudi arabian government with plenty of stuff available thats horrible and evil to aim and make something up on moral grounds to stop it?

Next door to them, in what sense? Currently picturing Bin Salman tending to the garden of a quiet semi-detached. "Aye, canny lad, keeps himself to himself. Media blow that whole beheading journalists stuff completely out of proportion, was just a misunderstanding." :lol:

Guest neesy111

there's absolutely no way it fails man, why are people even considering it might :lol:

because theres the involvement of the literal saudi arabian government with plenty of stuff available thats horrible and evil to aim and make something up on moral grounds to stop it?

:yao: :yao:

Western governments bomb shepherds in the middle east for fun and introduce policies like ‘herd immunity’.

Just use a bit of the old whataboutary  and you should be able to convince yourself that this is ok.

I mean, all governments are shady, have plenty of dark secrets, I'm sure and have a lot of issues.  The western world usually just proclaim that we're the good guys, to justify bombing countries into the stone age, so that we can restore order, fight the WAR ON TERROR and bring peace :lol:

However, everything you read about Saudi Arabia is scary as fuck and seems to stand out as even worse than a lot of other countries.

Next door to them, in what sense? Currently picturing Bin Salman tending to the garden of a quiet semi-detached. "Aye, canny lad, keeps himself to himself. Media blow that whole beheading journalists stuff completely out of proportion, was just a misunderstanding." :lol:

:lol::lol:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2020/country-chapters/saudi-arabia

Oh come on. Newcastle Fan lives next door to them so I'd trust him to have a slightly better idea what's actually happening than some "watch".

I’m not happy about it based on my moral criticisms of Ashley - I’m now a hypocrite. Reality is my protest is clearly now about modern football. You have to prostitute yourself to one whim of Uber capitalism or the other these days or your club is dead to you. I’ve got a tough decision to make.

Guest neesy111

I’m not happy about it based on my moral criticisms of Ashley - I’m now a hypocrite. Reality is my protest is clearly now about modern football. You have to prostitute yourself to one whim of Uber capitalism or the other these days or your club is dead to you. I’ve got a tough decision to make.

:thup:

My views as well, I'll still follow the club and might buy some merchandise now etc but I won't be going back in a hurry.

The only reason I can recall for anyone being judged not fit and proper is being done for tax fraud.

Well I based my opinion of Mike Ashley on the football served up, the people he appointed to run the football club and the people he pissed off along the way (Keegan, Shearer, Rafa  the fans etc).

I'll be basing my opinions of our new owners in exactly the same way.

After 13 years of a parasite holding this club back, I honestly dont care where the new owners are from as long as they run this club like a football club. Whether the Saudis own us or dont own us will make no difference to how they behave and what they do in Saudi Arabia.

I live in Bahrain and have work in Saudi at least once a week, by all means no country is perfect but when you see how people perceive  them in the UK you can't help but laugh, my wife is from Ponteland and was absolutely terrified from even going near the boarder thinking something might happen to her :lol:  now she regularly joins me whenever i go there, the people are great and the new government led by MBS is creating massive positive change. you can always dig out articles about how its horrible and dark place but - in my opinion - the reality is just like any other country they have their good and their bad, the only difference is they are foreign so it's easier to target them in the media.

Well I based my opinion of Mike Ashley on the football served up, the people he appointed to run the football club and the people he pissed off along the way (Keegan, Shearer, Rafa  the fans etc).

I'll be basing my opinions of our new owners in exactly the same way.

After 13 years of a parasite holding this club back, I honestly dont care where the new owners are from as long as they run this club like a football club. Whether the Saudis own us or dont own us will make no difference to how they behave and what they do in Saudi Arabia.

I'm not telling what anyone should think but that last line is completely untrue.

We all know that the only reason they are buying Newcastle is sportswashing their image and moving the conversation to something else than their human rights situation. So it naturally is tied to what happens in Saudi Arabia. You can't just separate the two things at that point.

Whether you give a shit or not is another matter.