Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

More documents added to Companies House today. Cantervale Holdings Limited receiving 50% shares in JV1 Limited. My guess is that the 20% shares of NUFC for the Reubens and Staveley will held in JV1 Limited.

(from twitter)

I don’t think anyone’s blaming fans. I think there’s plenty of criticism of successive governments about this it’s just like the powers that be they don’t care enough to try and be moral. I suppose I’m on the path with this to learning a bit more how the world actually works. Football is just the caricature. I’m delighted Ashley looks like his on his way because fuck better the devil you know. He laughed literally at us all.

It is very amusing to me to see Newcastle fans who've been raging for years and years about breaches of employment law at Shirebrook now fully on board with human rights abuses and executions.

Very much like the footballers wages debate, why blame football fans?

Are Man City fans to blame for what their owners have done? Are PSG fans to blame for what Qatar do?

The fact is the companies we use day in day out, and even our governments all trade with Saudi Arabia, even selling them weapons.

2 years ago the guy who is buying us walked down Downing Street, was met by our PM at the time, and walked into number 10 practically holding her hand. People can fuck off blaming us.

There was never ever any mention when we were pulling up Ashley’s business practices. So why start now?

If they are bringing money not just to the football, but the city, well our city and our region has been shit on for generations. Our city and even our football club are no longer in the position to questions where the money and investment comes from.

It’s ok sitting in London, and Manchester etc and having a go at us. Fuck off, they haven’t lived here, they haven’t had the disadvantages that we have had. If our football club because the face of that and successful, they can suck it up, just like we have always had to do.

Is anyone blaming fans? I thought we were discussing how happy or dubious we are to be owned by them.

It’s essentially the same.

I’d love for us to be taken over by a Geordie who made a global company and became a billionaire and can also invest in the city. It’s not going to happen though. Like I said, we are no longer in the position to question where investment comes from anymore.

How is it the same? Of course we're not responsible, it doesn't reflect on us at all.

The question is what we think about it, isn't it?

If you mean there's no way to compete with dodgy money, I'm with you.

It is very amusing to me to see Newcastle fans who've been raging for years and years about breaches of employment law at Shirebrook now fully on board with human rights abuses and executions.

We would never have questioned Ashley if he'd invested in making the club better.

If you're going to sell your soul to the devil, best get something in return, mind.

At least the Saudis seem to be offering something :)

This is it man ? I was stood outside Parliament with such banners. What the fuck do I do?

I was never on board with the Sports Direct stuff (I mean in terms of using it as a way to get at Ashley). Was all about his shoddy running of the club.

Are Man City fans to blame for what their owners have done? Are PSG fans to blame for what Qatar do?

The fact is the companies we use day in day out, and even our governments all trade with Saudi Arabia, even selling them weapons.

2 years ago the guy who is buying us walked down Downing Street, was met by our PM at the time, and walked into number 10 practically holding her hand. People can fuck off blaming us.

There was never ever any mention when we were pulling up Ashley’s business practices. So why start now?

If they are bringing money not just to the football, but the city, well our city and our region has been shit on for generations. Our city and even our football club are no longer in the position to questions where the money and investment comes from.

It’s ok sitting in London, and Manchester etc and having a go at us. Fuck off, they haven’t lived here, they haven’t had the disadvantages that we have had. If our football club because the face of that and successful, they can suck it up, just like we have always had to do.

Is anyone blaming fans? I thought we were discussing how happy or dubious we are to be owned by them.

I’d love for us to be taken over by a Geordie who made a global company and became a billionaire and can also invest in the city. It’s not going to happen though. Like I said, we are no longer in the position to question where investment comes from anymore.

How is it the same? Of course we're not responsible, it doesn't reflect on us at all.

The question is what we think about it, isn't it?

If you mean there's no way to compete with dodgy money, I'm with you.

It’s a loaded question.

‘Do you agree with what the owners do in Saudi Arabia?’

The answer to that then determines what is said next.

Say no and they ask why you go to games or still support the club.

Say yes, well then that’s self explanatory.

We would never have questioned Ashley if he'd invested in making the club better.

Exactly. Ultimately it's always been about NUFC.

Exactly. Owners of a football club will be judged by how they run it as a football club.

Going to just cough up and pay for the athletic soon as this is starting to happen far to often but...

Can anyone paste that in here?

The 10 challenges facing anyone who buys Newcastle United

By Chris Waugh Mar 31, 2020 84

As George Caulkin explained on The Athletic yesterday, a consortium including Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), financier Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers, David and Simon, are hoping to negotiate a £300 million-plus deal with Mike Ashley to buy Newcastle United.

The supporters have been here and been disappointed before, so quite understandably cynicism will remain the default setting until any agreement is concluded.

Many outsiders, meanwhile, struggle to understand why Newcastle fans are so desperate for Ashley to depart. They cannot entirely comprehend that those supporters have seen what the club can — and arguably should — be, which is something far removed from what it is right now.

If ever there was a club ripe for a takeover it is Newcastle, who have been defined by their potential for too long. To bring about a significant moment of change on and off the pitch.

In order for them to do so, The Athletic has identified 10 key issues any fresh custodians must look to address…

1. Outline a clear vision for the future

Among Ashley’s myriad failings at Newcastle, perhaps the most fundamental of all has been his neglect of an overarching vision.

There has been a blueprint for signing players aged 24 and under with potential sell-on value, a desire to make the club self-sufficient and a stated aim to stay in the Premier League. But those do not excite supporters; it has become a cold club, lacking meaning, direction and ambition, and which at one stage even downplayed the significance of cup competitions.

Yet Ashley has also veered wildly with his message. In May 2015, after Newcastle avoided relegation on the final day of the season, he insisted he would only sell once he had “won something” but “not at any price”. Champions League qualification or a trophy would count, he insisted. Within 12 months, Newcastle had been relegated to the Championship for the second time on his watch.

Then, after years of frugality, including when only Vurnon Anita arrived in the summer after a season where Newcastle finished fifth, they spent heavily on young, attacking reinforcements in 2019. Miguel Almiron, Allan Saint-Maximin and Joelinton cost a combined £80 million — with the £40 million fee paid for the latter more than double the previous club record — yet the fundamental issue, a lack of goals, has never been overcome.

Immediately following any takeover, the supporters would be dreaming of a brighter future — and it is essential that new owners capitalise on that by presenting their ideas for how Newcastle can grow. They are a club that needs a renewed purpose, and fresh custodians could provide that.

One of the reasons why Rafa Benitez was so universally respected on Tyneside was because of his stated desire for constant progress. If a new regime could crystallise similar ideals, it would give the club much-needed momentum.

The current coronavirus pandemic will offer significant challenges. Ashley’s Newcastle have often been accused of penny-pinching and the decision to furlough all non-playing staff before the first team have agreed to a wage decrease or deferral feels uncomfortable.

New owners would be tasked with helping Newcastle through what could prove to be an existential crisis for many sporting institutions but it would also give them an opportunity to accentuate the club’s position as a vital community asset.

2. Re-establish the deep bond with supporters

Another of Ashley’s gravest mistakes has been his unenviable capacity to alienate Newcastle fans.

A series of ludicrous decisions saw an initial honeymoon period turn to vitriol.

The treatment of Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan, the attempt to rename St James’ Park, allowing pay-day lender Wonga to sponsor the shirt, the loss of a disability-discrimination case against Jonas Gutierrez, the winger who had been diagnosed with cancer, not to mention two relegations inside seven years, are just the beginning of a roll-call of self-inflicted wounds that frayed at the bond with supporters.

Initially, new owners would be guaranteed popularity simply because they are not Ashley. But their immediate acceptance should not be taken for granted.

Relationships with disaffected fans must be rebuilt and those who have become disillusioned with their club must have their faith in Newcastle United restored.

Establishing close links to the Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST), which has almost 10,000 members, feels essential, too.

Boycotts and protests — led by groups including #IfRafaGoesWeGo, Ashleyout.com, the Magpie Group and Toon For Change — forced Newcastle to offer 10,000 free half-season tickets in December, meaning some new supporters have potentially been introduced to the club.

Yet, while some of the thousands of fans who stayed away under Ashley would return immediately, others may need to be convinced that the club itself has changed, rather than just the ownership.

Goodwill from supporters who were wearied by Ashley’s regime would be guaranteed in the short term but restoring that relationship to previous levels would be a fragile process that will take patience, determination and consideration.

3. Reshape a committed, but limited and unbalanced, squad

When the summer window will open and how long it will operate for remains uncertain given the coronavirus pandemic but how new owners would approach the transfer market would be chief among supporter intrigue.

Steve Bruce’s current squad — full of committed characters yet short on genuine quality — are on course to secure safety for the third season in succession but survival should no longer be the goal. One of the principle reasons why Benitez left last summer was because he wanted genuine progress, rather than a yearly objective of finishing 17th or above.

The Athletic understands that, should this takeover be concluded, transfer funds would be made available over a succession of windows and that strengthening the squad would be a priority.

During football’s shutdown, head coach Bruce has been liaising remotely with managing director Lee Charnley and head of recruitment Steve Nickson. Bruce has stressed the need for a box-to-box midfielder, a winger and a forward, and in the coming weeks they plan to whittle down their list of targets, with significant groundwork already conducted on potential options at those positions.

While bolstering those departments would likely remain the priority regardless, the identities of targets may become more ambitious if new owners could offer an increased budget — and further areas of the team could be augmented if greater funds became available.

However, Financial Fair Play regulations would need to be considered. In the short term, Newcastle would have no problem complying with the Premier League’s rules even if they were to spend lavishly because, in their latest accounts for 2017-18, they made an operating profit of £17.6 million.

But, in the long run, sustained significant spending on transfer fees and wages could alter the landscape, with top-flight clubs unable to incur cumulative losses of more than £105 million over three rolling seasons.

Any big-money signings made this summer, therefore, could impact upon how much Newcastle would have to spend during future windows to ensure they satisfy the restrictions (although there have been suggestions that rules may be temporarily relaxed in the post-coronavirus world).

4. Stick or twist with the manager?

When Ashley bought Newcastle in 2007, he inherited Sam Allardyce, who had just been recruited by previous chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Ashley had not made the appointment and, having just ploughed £250 million into purchasing the club and covering its debts, within six months he decided to bring in his own manager.

That it was Keegan — a stubborn manager who wanted to do things his way, rather than as part of the continental-style structure the billionaire attempted to introduce — who Ashley would anoint was surprising. While initially viewed as a masterstroke, given the nostalgia Keegan’s return brought, it turned out to be a public-relations disaster when the club legend resigned and then won a constructive-dismissal case in which it was proven that Newcastle “repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and fans”.

Almost 13 years on, new owners would face a similar dilemma to Ashley: stick with the current head coach or bring in someone they have hand-picked.

Much has changed in the 28 months since Staveley first submitted three bids to Ashley, all of which were dependent on Benitez remaining as manager. The Spaniard is now working in China — where it is believed it would cost in excess of £20 million to extricate The Athletic columnist from his contract at the Dalian Professional club — and does not appear attainable in the short term. There was an admiration for coaches such as now-Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta last summer, too, though negotiations to buy Newcastle never reached a stage where such an appointment became realistic.

Instead, Bruce, who was a controversial successor to Benitez, has performed reasonable well results-wise so far, guiding Newcastle to the FA Cup quarter-finals and 13th place in the league. Although he is yet to be warmly accepted by the majority of Newcastle fans — his name has rarely been chanted on the terraces — neither home nor away supporters have actively turned against their fellow Geordie.

Nobody yet knows when, or indeed if, the 2019-20 season will restart. And, with a pause in the footballing calendar, there would be no need to rush into making a change.

It therefore seems likely Bruce would remain in situ at the very least for now, giving new owners time to assess his performance first hand — and to see whether he can successfully evolve the style of play — before deciding which direction they may look to head.

With Newcastle almost free of the threat of relegation with nine games to go, undue haste would be unnecessary.

5. Make Newcastle “the club of the north”

Strangely, even despite the leanness of the Ashley years, Newcastle find themselves as the solitary top-flight club within a 100-mile radius, which highlights the sporting depression which has gripped the area.

The mid-table mediocrity in which they are situated represents (relative) relief for a region that has been left behind in footballing terms, mirroring the economic austerity of everyday life that has afflicted so many in North-East England.

This scarcity of success in the north presents Newcastle with a real opportunity. Even if Leeds United, some 90 miles south, do finally return to the Premier League next season, they would be the only such club within 100 miles.

Given that the likes of Shearer, Chris Waddle, Paul Gascoigne, Peter Beardsley, Michael Carrick and Andy Carroll were born on Tyneside, Newcastle should look to nurture local talent, as they are currently doing with the Longstaff brothers, Sean and Matty (notwithstanding their respective contract situations, which would also need resolving swiftly). Further afield, Sunderland-born Jordan Henderson is a Champions League-winning captain and Washington’s Jordan Pickford is the current England No 1, while the Middlesbrough manager Jonathan Woodgate was born in Nunthorpe and went on to represent Real Madrid.

Youngsters from Cumbria, the Borders, Northumberland, Wearside, County Durham, Teesside and Tyneside should be targeted and, in time, Newcastle could become the region’s premier academy. “We don’t just want players for the first team; we want to produce someone who’s going to go on, lift the Champions League and captain England. That’s our long-term vision,” head of academy coaching Ben Dawson told The Athletic recently.

Beyond that, identity is key. North-Easterners are fiercely proud of their heritage and they welcome those who embrace their history, culture and idiosyncrasies.

Then-chairman Sir John Hall and his manager Keegan cultivated that during the 1990s, before Shepherd and Sir Bobby Robson did likewise at the turn of the millennium, and on both occasions Newcastle United flourished.

Those figures understood the significance of football to the city and wider region; and they recognised that, harnessed correctly, it can be an irresistible force. Ashley, however, has never identified with supporters in the same way.

New owners would therefore be wise to position Newcastle as “the club of the north”.

6. Upgrade infrastructure — and the academy

When Benitez departed Newcastle he lamented that, rather than upgrading the training ground as promised, the Ashley regime merely “painted the walls”.

This was an exaggeration but the point remained that, despite former director of football Joe Kinnear — yes, Ashley really did appoint him twice — first revealing plans for a state-of-the-art facility in 2013, Newcastle are yet to start construction. Incremental upgrades have taken place but the training facilities simply do not compare to those of many other Premier League sides, with Leicester City and Bournemouth the latest to announce substantial improvements.

Charnley’s comments in April 2019 that “no player has turned around and said they will not sign because of the training ground” may have been accurate, but it also highlighted the lack of ambition. If Newcastle want to compete with the very best then they need the facilities to rival them; and, while the current training ground may not negatively affect performance, it does not aid it as it should, either.

Identifying how best to upgrade the training ground and then committing to doing so should be a primary concern for new owners.

Kinnear’s plans included a swimming pool, a hydrotherapy unit and a fitness pool, which Newcastle claimed would see the club “occupy one of the finest training facilities in Europe”. Seven years on, they still have do not have those permanent facilities on site.

So too should upgrading the club’s academy. Newcastle did make changes to the structure of the academy last summer but their implementation has been delayed for a variety of reasons so the benefits have yet to be felt.

As far as the club’s infrastructure goes, St James’ Park could also do with some TLC in parts, with additional funds set aside to refurbish the ground.

Parts of the stadium, including around the Sir Bobby Robson statue at the Gallowgate End, have recently been renovated but other areas look tired. Concourses and corporate areas in particular appear outdated when compared to those at the Big Six clubs.

In the longer term, should season-ticket sales recover significantly, identifying how St James’ Park could potentially be extended beyond its 52,000 capacity — now that the lease on the Strawberry Place land has been sold on — should also be a consideration.

“I’m a passionate believer in investment in the North-East because I know it’s tough,” Staveley previously said.

The Reuben brothers — who already own Newcastle Racecourse — also have vast development experience and have a Newcastle city-centre investment portfolio, including in a six-acre plot they are currently regenerating.

Such know-how would prove crucial in modernising Newcastle’s ageing infrastructure if a takeover is to happen.

7. Establish an executive structure

Newcastle currently possess a structure that is unique in the top flight — and not in a positive sense.

MD Charnley is their only “director” registered on the Premier League’s website and is almost solely responsible for the day-to-day running of the club. Ashley resigned from the board in 2015, purportedly to step back from decision-making, while key aide Justin Barnes is not officially employed by the club. No other Premier League club has such a modest boardroom.

This lack of an executive-level team presents both an opportunity and a challenge to the new owners; it ensures the club is ripe for restructuring although it also means a fresh framework needs to be put in place.

New owners would likely keep Charnley, at the very least for the interim, to provide continuity, though it is understood that a chief executive would be sought should this deal happen.

Staveley, Jamie Reuben — son of David Reuben and currently on the board at Queens Park Rangers, a position he would need to resign from — and Yasir Al-Rumayyan, governor of PIF, are all believed to have been named among prospective directors in the information given over to the Premier League. Though what respective positions they would assume is unclear.

A director of football, a technical director and an academy director are just three roles which could potentially be established, while other portfolios overseeing departments such as finance, commercial and business could be created. A decision would also have to be made on whether a new chief scout would be brought in, or if a head of recruitment — currently Nickson — would suffice.

Whether Bruce would be designated the title of “head coach” or “manager” would also indicate the degree of power he would be afforded within the set-up.

8. Reconnect with iconic figures

Keegan felt forced to resign, while Shearer never heard back from Ashley after presenting a plan to bring Newcastle back from the Championship in 2009. Both have been distanced from St James’ Park since.

The statue of Shearer on Barrack Road even lies outside the confines of the stadium — and “Shearer’s Bar” at St James’ Park was unceremoniously renamed the “Nine Bar” in 2013 — while there is no such monument to Keegan’s achievements.

Identity and history matter at Newcastle. Staveley seems to recognise this. She told The Times in 2018 that, “Newcastle has a proper history and a real magic; it’s a really special place with its own identity.”

Ashley showed borderline contempt towards two of the most-important figures to ever step foot inside St James’ Park and that mutilated any hope of redemption for the businessman with some fans.

It may seem a simple gesture but, if the new owners reached out to the likes of Shearer and Keegan and invited them back, perhaps in official ambassadorial roles, the effect would be pronounced.

Neither should have been forced into self-imposed exile in the first place but bringing about the return of two of Newcastle’s prodigal sons would be momentous.

9. Maximise commercial opportunities

During Ashley’s reign as owner, Newcastle’s commercial revenue has barely increased.

In their most-recent accounts, the club recorded £26.7 million in revenues from sponsorship deals and the like, a staggering £80 million behind Tottenham Hotspur, with whom they were regarded as commercial equals as recently as 2007.

This summer, both Newcastle’s £6.5 million-a-year kit deal with Puma and headline-sponsorship agreement with online gaming company Fun88, which is believed to be worth about £8 million a season, come to an end. However, it is understood discussions have been held with Puma about a short-term extension and with prospective shirt sponsors, too. Whether agreements have already been struck, or if new owners could negotiate fresh deals of their own, remains to be seen.

In addition, the relationship between Sports Direct and the club needs to be clarified. Not only have advertising hoardings promoting Ashley’s company defaced St James’ Park for too long but the club shop is also stocked by the firm. Ending that association instantly would be a welcome move.

During Ashley’s tenure, there has been an out-sourcing of contracts, including for catering, which is run by Sodexo, and there is a decision to be made on whether Newcastle could further maximise revenues by bringing those back in house, or if the current model is more cost-effective.

10. End the trophy drought

Newcastle United have become synonymous with glorious failure.

As well as the heartbreak of missing out on the title during the 1990s era of “The Entertainers”, there have also been four domestic cup-final appearances and a UEFA Cup semi-final since the last major trophy was paraded on Tyneside.

Last year, Newcastle celebrated — if that is the correct term — the half-century anniversary of their most-recent triumph, the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. You must go all the way back to 1955 for the last domestic trophy, when they lifted the FA Cup for a third time in five seasons.

For a club that won four league titles and six FA Cups during the first 63 years of its existence to have failed to claim a domestic trophy in the 65 years since is as remarkable as it is painful.

While fans sing about “winning fuck all again” and “still supporting United”, they crave a trophy.

Under Ashley at one stage, the club publicly stated that Premier League survival was the “priority” ahead of the knockout competitions and Newcastle never got past the FA Cup fourth round in the first 12 years of his reign.

To be fair, Bruce, as a Geordie, recognises this and has stated that he wants to win a cup — and he had taken Newcastle to the last eight of the FA Cup this season before play was suspended.

Yet predecessors such as Keegan, Sir Bobby, Graeme Souness, Kenny Dalglish et al thought they would be the manager who would finally end the hoodoo and, while some came agonisingly close, none has yet followed Joe Harvey into the exclusive club of Newcastle’s trophy-winning managers.

If a return to European football and infiltrating the so-called Big Six should be a long-term goal for new owners, then attempting to win the League Cup or the FA Cup ought to be an immediate priority.

It is high time Newcastle cast off their tag as “the great underachievers”.

Probably missed the discussion on this already. But what are people’s thoughts on being owned by a bunch of reprehensible scumbags, who make Mike Ashley seem fairly decent in comparison?

I’m caught in two minds. Obviously happy that it looks like the fat twat is finally on his way out and I can enjoy football again. But been fairly critical of the Saudi regime in the past and have read plenty of horror stories about them.

Personally don't think I'll be supporting us much, but won't blame anyone that will do that. Just hope it doesn't come to Newcastle fans trying to justify things that the regime do, like some Man City fans do

This is certainly what’ll happen.

Exactly. Owners of a football club will be judged by how they run it as a football club.

Yeah, but we'll also ignore the fact that football is owned by extremely dodgy people. Sadly that seems to be the only way to compete at a high level.

2 years ago the guy who is buying us walked down Downing Street, was met by our PM at the time, and walked into number 10 practically holding her hand. People can f*** off blaming us.

If they are bringing money not just to the football, but the city, well our city and our region has been s*** on for generations. Our city and even our football club are no longer in the position to questions where the money and investment comes from.

It’s ok sitting in London, and Manchester etc and having a go at us. f*** off, they haven’t lived here, they haven’t had the disadvantages that we have had. If our football club because the face of that and successful, they can suck it up, just like we have always had to do.

Barry Moat may come good one of these days....

Yeah, but we'll also ignore the fact that football is owned by extremely dodgy people. Sadly that seems to be the only way to compete at a high level.

And the next question is how important is competing at the highest level at all. For some people values like human rights are more important than playing in the Champions League. And that's completely fine and understandable.

It's just personal opinion. For some it would be better for their club to play in the lower leagues and share the values they respect.

Someone voicing their opinion about that doesnt mean you as a fan are being "attacked".

The view will always be relative. None of us can endorse the human rights abuses that Saudi have committed but at the same time Saudi haven’t taken the soul out of Newcastle like Mike Ashley did. There will never be rational thinking here.

I’m not saying it’s right but it’s how it is.

Get in a charismatic manager and some fancy players and people will soon stop talking about that side of it and we can all enjoy decent football again in blissful ignorance.

If any supporters from clubs that aren’t currently dominating their respective leagues claim they would act otherwise, they are lying. Man Utd supporters were crying out for this deal and now that it’s happened for us it’s all “thank god they didn’t buy us”

Fucking hypocrites

Guest neesy111

Probably missed the discussion on this already. But what are people’s thoughts on being owned by a bunch of reprehensible scumbags, who make Mike Ashley seem fairly decent in comparison?

I’m caught in two minds. Obviously happy that it looks like the fat twat is finally on his way out and I can enjoy football again. But been fairly critical of the Saudi regime in the past and have read plenty of horror stories about them.

Personally don't think I'll be supporting us much, but won't blame anyone that will do that. Just hope it doesn't come to Newcastle fans trying to justify things that the regime do, like some Man City fans do

This is certainly what’ll happen.

Yeap, it'll how people will forget or completely ignore ridiculous human rights violations, carpet bombing in yemen etc just because their football club can sign a player for £100m.

Exactly. Ultimately it's always been about NUFC.

It has for me anyway. I can understand those who hold moral objections, and fair play to them, but I think our club would be competing with top 6 every year in a fair world. Unfortunately, it's not a fair world, so if this is how we can compete with Man U, City and Chelsea, then for me, that is just how it is. I will be 100% on board PROVIDED the new owners do actually invest in the facilities and the squad. If they can do something for development of the city in general, that would be great.

This is it man ? I was stood outside Parliament with such banners. What the fuck do I do?

This is troubling for me and I haven't thought about it much yet. It's tempting to bury my head in the sand.

The way I feel right now is Newcastle United is too important to me to not support, and if it makes me a hypocrite then so be it. But I think it's also incumbent on Newcastle fans to highlight the abuses and sources of the money - I'd love to see groups of Newcastle fans making things uncomfortable and highlighting Saudi abuses, reducing their ability to 'sportswash'. Right now going to enjoy Ashley leaving, then I'll do some soul-searching.