Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

kind of feel for caulkin a bit as much as i'm not into the hero worship he gets here so much - he's been reluctant to write about this for absolutely ages and then does so and gets dragged into mob insanity because things aren't happening quite as fast as he/they thought they should

Guest Carrick18

For what it’s worth, Caulkin has been replying to some fans after he’d spoken to his sources earlier today...

The stories from last Thursday were that the piracy was the issue.  So assuming that there are not new issues it will boil down to whether the premier league can prove that the owners were involved in this.  Given a French court said they were not I guess that will be hard to prove. 

The takes as long as it takes line makes me far less confident we’ll hear anything this week. Hopefully this is not just delaying tactics.

They weren't convicted of direct involvement but the French court agreed that beoutQ was using Arabsat satellites, which could be an issue. They may just want assurances this won't persist or they'll do more to stop it.

For what it’s worth, Caulkin has been replying to some fans after he’d spoken to his sources earlier today...

The stories from last Thursday were that the piracy was the issue.  So assuming that there are not new issues it will boil down to whether the premier league can prove that the owners were involved in this.  Given a French court said they were not I guess that will be hard to prove. 

The takes as long as it takes line makes me far less confident we’ll hear anything this week. Hopefully this is not just delaying tactics.

They weren't convicted of direct involvement but the French court agreed that beoutQ was using Arabsat satellites, which could be an issue. They may just want assurances this won't persist or they'll do more to stop it.

it's already been shut down and has been for some time

The premier league check is whether the owner has been involved in criminal activity. I cannot see how the conversation could be along the lines of ensuring that something does not happen again.  As soon as there is anything along these lines it implies that they were involved or have that influence to change it.  I’d imagine the conversation is exclusively regarding proof that the actual owners and directors were involved. 

The premier league check is whether the owner has been involved in criminal activity. I cannot see how the conversation could be along the lines of ensuring that something does not happen again.  As soon as there is anything along these lines it implies that they were involved or have that influence to change it.  I’d imagine the conversation is exclusively regarding proof that the actual owners and directors were involved. 

As some have pointed out previously, it more likely the PL are leveraging this to get the Saudis onboard for the the next TV rights package. There'll not be as much money floating around and the Saudis provide a good source of ready cash and a relatively untapped market. The PL isn't going to cut of it's nose to spite it's face. Wouldn't be surprised if what was actually happening was the basics of the TV deal being thrashed out which is taking the time. The Qataris don't hold much sway other than the TV deal they have. They bought the wrong club in the wrong league.

As always pure speculation... if delays do cause an issue with regard to exclusivity or the current signed contracts I cannot see how this would be a positive for Ashley.  The value of the club can only have gone done since the contracts have been signed.  It looks less likely that this season will be played out, despite project restart.  Player, doctor and insurances concerns are being raised.  Next season is looking more likely if not near confirmed to be played, at least in part, behind closed doors.  Both of these massive financial impacts not to mention the value of players potentially tanking.

The news of the new buyer came from Ashley’s side and is a mate of his.  Who in their right mind would now pay 350 million for us?  This stinks to me of Ashley trying to keep the current bid agreed even if timing allows the buyers to potentially renegotiate.

I think the premier league checks are all that matters now.  It does not matter how long they take as long as they are eventually passed we will be sold. 

As some have pointed out previously, it more likely the PL are leveraging this to get the Saudis onboard for the the next TV rights package. There'll not be as much money floating around and the Saudis provide a good source of ready cash and a relatively untapped market. The PL isn't going to cut of it's nose to spite it's face. Wouldn't be surprised if what was actually happening was the basics of the TV deal being thrashed out which is taking the time. The Qataris don't hold much sway other than the TV deal they have. They bought the wrong club in the wrong league.

Quite possibly. This way no one has to admit that they have any links to the piracy.  It does sound almost like blackmail mind!  Either the premier league can prove some thing and it should be blocked or they can’t and holding a threat of this to secure a potential billion pound contract would look corrupt as fuck.

Quite possibly. This way no one has to admit that they have any links to the piracy.  It does sound almost like blackmail mind!  Either the premier league can prove some thing and it should be blocked or they can’t and holding a threat of this to secure a potential billion pound contract would look corrupt as fuck.

It's not blackmail it's just standard negotiating. If the Qataris throw their toys out of the plan the PL would want someone to plug the gap.

Guest Carrick18

Right.

It won't stop them owning the club, but I'd expect it to at least be a topic of conversation that could delay things. We're talking about the head of Saudi Arabia, and they've always claimed beoutQ wasn't based in the country (despite the courts saying they were being broadcast via SA).

Surely they were anticipating the Bein thing, which is why the 'issue that wasn't anticipated' is the bit that worried me.  Don't think it's anything to do with Bein, as I'd expect them to have seen it coming.

Surely they were anticipating the Bein thing, which is why the 'issue that wasn't anticipated' is the bit that worried me.  Don't think it's anything to do with Bein, as I'd expect them to have seen it coming.

This is my thoughts too - and I'm a trifle concerned that it's the Sheffield United/Saudi Arabia thing.

Don't the rules on ownership of two clubs refer to "influence" over more than one club? I genuinely can't decide if a legitimate case could be made that NUFC would be in a position to influence SUFC. Not because of the closeness of the "cousin" relationship, more that every Saudi can be influenced by MBS?

The same argument being used against human rights abuse and stolen streams applies here too, though - its not Saudi Arabia as a state that's trying to buy, its an investment fund. If you can draw that distinction for all the other 'state owned' arguments then you can with this one too, surely.

Something is definitely up, no doubt about it. I have that feeling of impending doom that NUFC so often brings.

The questions and silly excuses for why it is taking so long have already started. It was "done" 4 weeks ago ffs

No, it was done pending PL checks.

Those Caulkin quotes dont worry me at all like they have 1 or 2 people. He said yesterday the buyers were still "overwhelmingly confident" of a deal being struck. The reason people are worried is because this is taking a little longer than *they* expected. All of the BEIN stuff, the Sheff Utd issues, the human rights issuse will all have been looked at thoroughly by the lawyers on the buyers side. If they thought for 1 minute there was going to be problem, a 17 million pound deposit would not have been payed.

We just need to relax and let it take its course, as frustrating as that is.

Those Caulkin quotes dont worry me at all like they have 1 or 2 people. He said yesterday the buyers were still "overwhelmingly confident" of a deal being struck. The reason people are worried is because this is taking a little longer than *they* expected. All of the BEIN stuff, the Sheff Utd issues, the human rights issuse will all have been looked at thoroughly by the lawyers on the buyers side. If they thought for 1 minute there was going to be problem, a 17 million pound deposit would not have been payed.

👏

He’s not saying there *is* an issue. Just presenting a few different options for what could be causing a delay. I think people are not reading that tweet with the context of what he was replying to.

You’re right but depending on how your brain is wired make this harder for some!

Assuming it could have been completed last Wednesday, safe to say this could still be done within the next couple of days as long as whatever this delay is doesn’t stop it.

There’s also nothing to say it won’t take another 2 weeks. I’d just stop worrying if I was you. Unless we hear definitively from a trusted source that it’s off, it’s just a matter of time.

the ramifications of the PL knocking this deal back on any grounds would be insaaaaaane like :lol:

imagine them having the balls to do that, it's just so hard to see, the Sheff Utd. piece seems the most likely if they were going to grow a pair

I’d just stop worrying if I was you. Unless we hear definitively from a trusted source that it’s off, it’s just a matter of time.

This is the alpha and the omega of it, really. 

That said, I can't pretend that I'm not enjoying the thread in the meantime, so long may the panic continue :lol: