Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I don't think the arbitration about the strength of the test as such, in fact it's not about the O&D test at all, from what is publicly known it's about the whether the KSA meet the definition in the PL's rules of a 'person' that would 'control' the club.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's the test's actual rules on seperation that are being arbitrated on, rather than the actual seperation itself. Like, was the test well enough written to even ask the question. Might have interpreted that wrong though.

Guest HTT II

PL don’t have a leg to stand on RE CAT from what I hear and are now shitting bricks, Ashley wants to go all the way, none of this let’s do a deal behind closed doors and move on! He wants to expose them! 

14 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Then that assumes the PL have decided that PIF and the Saudi state are one and the same thing despite there being legal opinion indicating that PIF is a separate entity.

I don't think it quite works like that, Mike Ashely is legally a separate entity from St James Holdings Ltd but he controls it and the club.

I think it's almost certainly a lot more complex than that in relation to the KSA's control over PIF and therefore NUFC, whether that can be applied to the relationship between the KSA and PIF, and also whether the PL's decisions in other cases have set precedents about interpretation of those definitions.

But in common sense terms, it's pretty clear that the KSA can control PIF.

Edited by Jackie Broon

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I don't think it quite works like that, Mike Ashely is legally a separate entity from St James Holdings Ltd but he controls it and the club.

I think it's almost certainly a lot more complex than that in relation to the KSA's control over PIF and therefore NUFC, whether that can be applied to the relationship between the KSA and PIF, and also whether the PL's decisions in other cases have set precedents about interpretation of those definitions.

But in common sense terms, it's pretty clear that the KSA can control PIF.

I agree, however common sense and legal opinions/court rulings are entirely different things to common sense.

Who would you even test as part of the KSA? The whole royal family or the country or just the Prince…. it doesn’t seem logical that would interpret ownership in this way and make demands of a buyer. I guess it’s about transparency to the PL, but what legal basis do they have to make this type of claim when the buyers are the ones submitting the documentation on ownership 

2 hours ago, Wandy said:

It's being claimed on another forum that the PL have failed to have the CAT thrown out. Yeah I know, but this is the thread where the sun is always shining. Poster making the claim doesnt seem the type to bullshit. His source might be, of course.

Nice to log on and see this, good find Wandy.

I was reading a thread the other day that was speculating that Ashley might now not even accept an out of court settlement. 

The thought process was that if he is so confident as claimed, he would also be entitled to big compensation as well on top of 340 million.

It would be a huge gamble on his part, but we all know Mike likes a gamble.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

I was reading a thread the other day that was speculating that Ashley might now not even accept an out of court settlement. 

The thought process was that if he is so confident as claimed, he would also be entitled to big compensation as well on top of 340 million.

Remember a few weeks ago whwn Ashley released a statement saying he wanted it all done by the end of june. I'm thinking this was a deadline for the Premier League to agree a settlement by and if not then he is going the whole hog. So I reckon we will either see it settled out of court by end of june (end of next week?) or Ashley wont stop his CAT at all

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I've had that thought too, even if the PL were to go to Ashley to discuss settling he's unlikely to just accept "we'll settle the arbitration if you drop the CAT case". He would smell blood and will want to screw the PL for as much compensation as he can.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

It's being claimed on another forum that the PL have failed to have the CAT thrown out. Yeah I know, but this is the thread where the sun is always shining. Poster making the claim doesnt seem the type to bullshit. His source might be, of course.

I like this. 

And De Marco posts this random, even for him, picture of a surveillance camera the same day that it's rumoured the PL's jurisdiction challenge has been dismissed and therefore they have to go through full disclosure and public hearings on their actions.

1 minute ago, 1964 said:

My question is how do the PL climb down now and not look ridiculous? They are going to lose so much face either way aren't they, classic rock and a hard place 

I’m sure a way would be found, like we’ve found/been given additional information etc.

Stephen Hornsby reckons CAT might not be needed:

“In the scheme of things Mike Ashley’s competition claim may not ultimately matter. With the UK government having helped to scupper the Super League it is difficult to see how the Premier League could stand in the way of another Saudi bid where further refusal will surely cause great offence to a key commercial partner. It is therefore not cynical to suggest that subject to the traditional and traditionally unenforceable assurances, Mike Ashley’s boat may well come in. The fans will be delighted.”

Stephen is one of the most experienced EU and competition lawyers still practising in the UK.  He has acted for clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to individuals, in contentious and regulatory matters in the High Court, before the ECJ in Luxembourg and in front of the OFT, Ofcom, the European Commission and the Competition Appeal Tribunal.

1 hour ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Remember a few weeks ago whwn Ashley released a statement saying he wanted it all done by the end of june. I'm thinking this was a deadline for the Premier League to agree a settlement by and if not then he is going the whole hog. So I reckon we will either see it settled out of court by end of june (end of next week?) or Ashley wont stop his CAT at all

I thought the same. And De Marco's "green light' tweet, with the watch and pen on the table, kinda solidified that belief for me.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

I've had that thought too, even if the PL were to go to Ashley to discuss settling he's unlikely to just accept "we'll settle the arbitration if you drop the CAT case". He would smell blood and will want to screw the PL for as much compensation as he can.

I hope that's a gamble he doesn't take if they offer to pass the takeover right now, tbh.

16 minutes ago, 1964 said:

My question is how do the PL climb down now and not look ridiculous? They are going to lose so much face either way aren't they, classic rock and a hard place 

They use the "Saudi is off the piracy watchlist" line....

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Why the fuck would you take a photograph of a standard surveillance camera? Weird bastard. 

Just so he could then check on here and see how people have managed to make it "good takeover news" I imagine. [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Just so he could then check on here and see how people have managed to make it "good takeover news" I imagine. [emoji38]

He's probably laughing at you.