Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I got sucked in last year when the takeover seemed to collapse, cancelled the morning they announced the fan pledge thing. Didn’t agree with that route at all.

Didn’t get sucked in then as imho they done fuck all when given the chance to directly challenge Masters. Again in my opinion, they have not done anything of merit since either. Come up with a plan to try and get a tiny % of the club, which was never going to work. It didn’t in the 80’s when John Hall tried and the fan base is even more divided now. One good thing, is that when it does fail the money will be used for the food bank and charities. 

Edited by et tu brute

Same. Asked myself if I could see the day when we have a legitimate say in what happens at the club. That ain't happening. 

Really really disappointed with how they've gone about backing the consortiums efforts. Staveley is crying out for action and they've practically been silent. 

But they'll expect to be front of the que if and when she's in control. 

6 hours ago, Wilson said:

NUST will barely be a thing if someone competent takes over. 

More like they’ll become more emboldened after doing fuck all for years and have the nerve to start calling out the new owners demanding 1% of the club is handed over.

I can just see it Gallowgate will be engulfed in flames of the biggest pyro party the U.K. has ever seen, then NUST will release their most aggressive statement to date demanding a place on the board and that they will hold the new owners to the highest standard on human rights.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

More like they’ll become more emboldened after doing fuck all for years and have the nerve to start calling out the new owners demanding 1% of the club is handed over.

I can just see it Gallowgate will be engulfed in flames of the biggest pyro party the U.K. has ever seen, then NUST will release their most aggressive statement to date demanding a place on the board and that they will hold the new owners to the highest standard on human rights.

NUST would never allow the Gallowgate to break Health and Safety rules like that.

I have some degree of sympathy with NUST. The reason we’ve had dozens of fan groups over the last decade is that - speaking frankly - our supporters are hysterical children who flip their lid the moment any one of these groups does something that they don’t agree with to the letter. There’s no small amount of it on display in this thread for example.

Someone needs to do the boring stuff. Someone needs to try and liaise with the club, try to get them to improve the match day experience etc. I assume that since the takeover is now in the courts, far beyond the stage where a fan group could influence the outcome, they’ve decided they’re better off focusing on that stuff than wasting time having a massive paddy.

7 minutes ago, christ said:

I have some degree of sympathy with NUST. The reason we’ve had dozens of fan groups over the last decade is that - speaking frankly - our supporters are hysterical children who flip their lid the moment any one of these groups does something that they don’t agree with to the letter. There’s no small amount of it on display in this thread for example.

Someone needs to do the boring stuff. Someone needs to try and liaise with the club, try to get them to improve the match day experience etc. I assume that since the takeover is now in the courts, far beyond the stage where a fan group could influence the outcome, they’ve decided they’re better off focusing on that stuff than wasting time having a massive paddy.

A sound argument but would it really have been a hardship to do a bit more publicly to promote the protest 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

A sound argument but would it really have been a hardship to do a bit more publicly to promote the protest 

Maybe they could’ve done but I think the protest is pretty inconsequential now. It doesn’t make sense to get so wound up about it. 

I’m usually pro-direct action, and I’ve always been a big advocate and participated in the stuff we’ve done in and around the stadium against Ashley. This is totally different though. It’s a legal matter. I don’t think it’s that important.

Why do people get worked up by NUST not being a protest group?

Is it because unlike other fans groups, the NUST is the only one to have 15,000 members?

Everyone is quick to say the NUST should have backed the protests. 40 fucking people went out of what, 30,000 season ticket holders, and a city centre that has a quarter of a million people, an urban area of about 1 million people. 40 people went, and a lot of them were Wraith’s buddies.

You want to know why NUST are not quick to protest, because our fans largely aren’t interested in protesting. It’s ok saying the demand is there by looking at Twitter, but in reality it isn’t.

I was there holding a banner up when the Magpie Group were protesting, instead we got people shouting for Ashley to go as they walked through the turnstile. We had the kid who does Toon Polls grassing us up which resulted in the Keegan flag being confiscated by stewards.

We asked fans how they wanted to protest, people kept saying they wanted a boycott, and late walk in’s, we did both, people went in fucking early and still went to the games.

We organised a protest to SD’s HQ which the fans said they wanted, we had to cancel because we didn’t get enough people to even cover the price for 1 bus.

I helped Toon for change with their scarf idea, because fans said they wanted a symbol to help us protest. We sold nowhere near the amount people said they would buy, and got called for chasing the money despite the fact the manufacturer got all the proceeds, the guy in charge of the group had to put his own hand in his pocket to make a charity donation to placate fans.

It’s alright saying the club had to give away 10,000 season tickets, but that happened because Rafa left, generally our fans by and large are not fucking interested in protesting.

It might be because football is the only thing a lot of our fans have and it is too much to give up. It might be because in the past we have had people like Wraith who do it for the attention and make us look like fools in the process. I don’t know, all I know is that despite what you think, protests with our fan base just do not work, which is the reason why we have had half a dozen different fan groups try and become the main protest group in the last few years.

Edited by Stifler

Do you think only 40 would have went down if NUST were behind it? They have the status and profile.

Not wanting to rub the club up the wrong way is understandable, but now isn't about that.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

10 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Why do people get worked up by NUST not being a protest group?

Is it because unlike other fans groups, the NUST is the only one to have 15,000 members?

Everyone is quick to say the NUST should have backed the protests. 40 fucking people went out of what, 30,000 season ticket holders, and a city centre that has a quarter of a million people, an urban area of about 1 million people. 40 people went, and a lot of them were Wraith’s buddies.

You want to know why NUST are not quick to protest, because our fans largely aren’t interested in protesting. It’s ok saying the demand is there by looking at Twitter, but in reality it isn’t.

I was there holding a banner up when the Magpie Group were protesting, instead we got people shouting for Ashley to go as they walked through the turnstile. We had the kid who does Toon Polls grassing us up which resulted in the Keegan flag being confiscated by stewards.

We asked fans how they wanted to protest, people kept saying they wanted a boycott, and late walk in’s, we did both, people went in fucking early and still went to the games.

We organised a protest to SD’s HQ which the fans said they wanted, we had to cancel because we didn’t get enough people to even cover the price for 1 bus.

I helped Toon for change with their scarf idea, because fans said they wanted a symbol to help us protest. We sold nowhere near the amount people said they would buy, and got called for chasing the money despite the fact the manufacturer got all the proceeds, the guy in charge of the group had to put his own hand in his pocket to make a charity donation to placate fans.

It’s alright saying the club had to give away 10,000 season tickets, but that happened because Rafa left, generally our fans by and large are not fucking interested in protesting.

It might be because football is the only thing a lot of our fans have and it is too much to give up. It might be because in the past we have had people like Wraith who do it for the attention and make us look like fools in the process. I don’t know, all I know is that despite what you think, protests with our fan base just do not work, which is the reason why we have had half a dozen different fan groups try and become the main protest group in the last few years.

The reason is because, when for example Rafa left, they are quick to use negative stuff around the club for a membership drive to "have your say" but then back off again once it's done. Same with contacting Masters last year. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Do you think only 40 would have went down if NUST were behind it? They have the status and profile.

Not wanting to rub the club up the wrong way is understandable, but now isn't about that.

Do they, or do they risk people turning their backs on them if they protest like the other groups have?

You have got to remember many of the people involved with the NUST are the same people who had their fingers burnt by being in charge of one of the other groups.

People keep asking what the NUST does?

Well in recent years they have pursued legal action to prevent the Strawberry land being built on, that’s where a lot of £1 subscriptions went.

They have engaged with the club so that they now promote the woman’s team, this resulted in a crowd of over 200 people attending the last game before the pandemic, a crowd similar to local non-league clubs.

They work with the football authorities and other clubs trusts to help get better fan representation at all levels. Word is they were pretty helpful to the Blackpool supporters in their fights against their owners.

They have started a funding campaign to help fans buy a part of our club, which may seem unrealistic, but it is something supporters have said they have wanted for a long time and has been asked to be part of their mandate.

I had my issues with the last group who wanted your pension etc, then vanished for a few years (Our lord and Saviour Wraith was part of that mob), but this group of people running it are now well respected and trying to do things the right way and through the right channels.

I think 40 people is pretty respectable given the circumstances.

As Stiffy has pointed out, and I think as the reaction to NUST’s non-involvement shows, our fans love the idea of a protest just as long as it is exactly what they want and doesn’t actually require them themselves having to do anything. People would be shitting themselves in much the same way had they actually got involved in yesterday.

Out of curiosity how many people kicking off about NUST on here actually bothered their backside to go to the protest?

Edited by christ

12 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

The reason is because, when for example Rafa left, they are quick to use negative stuff around the club for a membership drive to "have your say" but then back off again once it's done. Same with contacting Masters last year. 

And if you look at my post you’ll see what they have done on the back of that money. They haven’t disappeared, just everyone has stopped paying them attention for the things they do.

Woth Masters, what are they supposed to do? Honestly what do you want them to do? Kick his fucking face in?

Edited by Stifler

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

And if I’m you look at my post you’ll see what they have done on the back of that money. They haven’t disappeared, just everyone has stopped paying them attention for the things they do.

Woth Masters, what are they supposed to do? Honestly what do you want them to do? Kick his fucking face in?

Not disputing what they do with the money is helpful, but they'd not get far driving membership numbers if it was, "Join up to NUST, we'll stop big buildings being built across the road from the stadium." They use negativity to drive numbers (like Benitez leaving, Ashley, etc) then don't seem to act on what drives the numbers. That's my view anyway.

We saw the last couple of weeks of the season their Chelsea & Man Utd counterparts being very outspoken against their clubs and the ESL idea, why can't NUST do the same here with the Premier League situation?

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

And if I’m you look at my post you’ll see what they have done on the back of that money. They haven’t disappeared, just everyone has stopped paying them attention for the things they do.

My point (as you well know) was that they recruited off the back of the Masters meeting, not that i want them to do something to him. Whole thing was "we've opened a dialogue, join the trust". 

As always, by suggesting threats of violence, you're misrepresenting what the fans actually want. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not disputing what they do with the money is helpful, but they'd not get far driving membership numbers if it was, "Join up to NUST, we'll stop big buildings being built across the road from the stadium." They use negativity to drive numbers (like Benitez leaving, Ashley, etc) then don't seem to act on what drives the numbers. That's my view anyway.

We saw the last couple of weeks of the season their Chelsea & Man Utd counterparts being very outspoken against their clubs and the ESL idea, why can't NUST do the same here with the Premier League situation?

No mate, you want them to hunt Masters down and "kick his fucking face in" apparently. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Ok, point taken, but as I say what are they to do?

Their overall sim has and always will be to get fans of all clubs (not just NUFC) to have a seat and influence on their club. They need to highlight when things go wrong to demonstrate why it’s a good idea.

look at Man Utd fans. Before the Galziers came in if you asked them if they wanted some control of their club, they would have laughed at you. Why would they? Things were going so well. Now they are £1bn in debt, haven’t won a title in 10 years, and tried to steal football twice in the space of 4 months. Now their fans want a seat at the table.