Ryan Fraser (on loan at Southampton)

Chapo

Is left wing his preferred position? Looked superb yesterday and was my MOTM. Literally comes off because he has gassed himself out each game and never seems to stop running. Before the season, I would have had Almiron over Fraser but now I don't think there is any doubt he is the superior player. Keep it up lad!

6 hours ago, CPL said:

Is left wing his preferred position? Looked superb yesterday and was my MOTM. Literally comes off because he has gassed himself out each game and never seems to stop running. Before the season, I would have had Almiron over Fraser but now I don't think there is any doubt he is the superior player. Keep it up lad!

It could be worth thinking about keeping Fraser on the left and making Maxi play on the right. Might get greater output down both flanks than when Fraser plays right wing as he seems a bit more subdued out there

6 minutes ago, greydos said:

It could be worth thinking about keeping Fraser on the left and making Maxi play on the right. Might get greater output down both flanks than when Fraser plays right wing as he seems a bit more subdued out there

It could just be that without ASM he's seeing more of the ball in wide areas as the onus falls on him to create, might be worth trying though.

3 hours ago, Mattoon said:

It could just be that without ASM he's seeing more of the ball in wide areas as the onus falls on him to create, might be worth trying though.

I agree it could be he benefits from Maxi being out. I also think it could be because on the left he’s a genuine cutback onto the right foot option but can go down the line. But he’s unlikely to cut back onto his weaker foot on the right and foot a left footed cross in. So he can effectively go 2 ways down the left, whereas he’s only really byeline down the right 

I'd written Fraser off completely before Howe came in, but he's been terrific in the last couple of games.

More than happy to eat humble pie here, and admit that I know nothing.

I suppose the lesson there is that every player should research their next manager before making a move.

He could well have ended up on the scraphead under a Steve Keane/Phil Brown/Steve Bruce.

https://theathletic.com/3152330/2022/02/27/cox-by-exploiting-wide-areas-newcastle-have-a-clear-plan-of-attack?source=user-shared-article

Good piece from Michael Cox about how we exploited Brentford's narrow approach following the red.

Interesting how he refers to 'overt' overlapping runs - where the full-back, for instance - goes out of his way to go around the ball-carrier on the outside, where the more obvious thing to do would be to go in a straight line, in an 'underlap'. Obviously it worked over and over again at the weekend but Willock's goal against West Ham was also a good example, with Fraser going out of his way to wrap around (Murphy?) to receive the ball before dinking the cross in. 

Clear example of Howe's tactical input. 

His progression metrics are off the charts for the Brentford game, like. Literally made more than 5 times his usual progressive carries with 23 in one game. When you consider that Jack Grealish is the best in the league for this by some distance with 14.6 average per 90 it's pretty mad. He absolutely ruined Brentford. 

If we can start having more possession in games we already have some very capable players, like. 

13 hours ago, Abacus said:

I'd written Fraser off completely before Howe came in, but he's been terrific in the last couple of games.

More than happy to eat humble pie here, and admit that I know nothing.

I suppose the lesson there is that every player should research their next manager before making a move.

He could well have ended up on the scraphead under a Steve Keane/Phil Brown/Steve Bruce.

Same here I really didn't rate him at all, but Eddie knows best.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

https://theathletic.com/3152330/2022/02/27/cox-by-exploiting-wide-areas-newcastle-have-a-clear-plan-of-attack?source=user-shared-article

Good piece from Michael Cox about how we exploited Brentford's narrow approach following the red.

Interesting how he refers to 'overt' overlapping runs - where the full-back, for instance - goes out of his way to go around the ball-carrier on the outside, where the more obvious thing to do would be to go in a straight line, in an 'underlap'. Obviously it worked over and over again at the weekend but Willock's goal against West Ham was also a good example, with Fraser going out of his way to wrap around (Murphy?) to receive the ball before dinking the cross in. 

Clear example of Howe's tactical input. 

Not read the article yet (I'll definitely get round to it) but I remember when Howe first arrived there was a huge emphasis on selfless runs off the ball with overlapping creating more space.

He really emphasised how important the overlap was even if it was likely you wouldn't receive the ball

23 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

He's turned things around not just on the pitch, but in terms of likability as well.

Yeah. I feel like Fraser has the same issue I (and a lot of people) have where people mistake him being a quiet, more reserved character as being aloof, or uncaring. You can tell he is way more comfortable now, and his personality it really starting to come out.