Callum Wilson

Strawberry

I wonder if he's one of those who we would try to keep when it comes to contract renewal time? He's a bit of a hero for me, but the absence through injuries for half the season is starting to get a bit depressing.

I think we'll buy a new striker in the summer regardless, I suppose it just depends if Wilson is one of Howe's blue chip players.

15 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

I think Wilson and Wood will be 3rd and 4th choice strikers next year.  Two new strikers in and Gayle let go.

Wilson is never going to be 3rd choice striker. We'll buy one new striker and Wilson will share the duties with whoever that is. He'll still be one of our top players, we just won't be so reliant on him.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Wilson is never going to be 3rd choice striker. We'll buy one new striker and Wilson will share the duties with whoever that is. He'll still be one of our top players, we just won't be so reliant on him.

Not sure we can afford to buy only one new striker. Wilson gets injured to often to be relied upon for an entire season.

Definitely agree with the other post that we need 2 new strikers, one big signing and a youngster (18-21yrs old). If Howe decides to play 2 up top then the 4 strikers will all get plenty of game time.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Not sure we can afford to buy only one new striker. Wilson gets injured to often to be relied upon for an entire season.

Definitely agree with the other post that we need 2 new strikers, one big signing and a youngster (18-21yrs old). If Howe decides to play 2 up top then the 4 strikers will all get plenty of game time.

I agree with the idea of buying a 2nd younger striker, but that wouldn't push Wilson down to 3rd or 4th choice. That was the part I was disagreeing with.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

I agree with the idea of buying a 2nd younger striker, but that wouldn't push Wilson down to 3rd or 4th choice. That was the part I was disagreeing with.

Right I understand, so you're saying when we bring in another main striker, he and Wilson would then both become first choice. That then leaves the new youngster and Wood as bench options.

Only works ofcourse if we play 2 up top but it's definitely possible. Also all depends on form and injury etc. I do think Wilson would benefit from not being the only striker, in terms of not being over worked and therfore more prone to injury. 

I like Wilson, he’s a very capable goalscorer when fit, but we can do much better than him now and should look to do so in the summer, which I think we will.

Edited by HTT II

3 hours ago, TRon said:

We need 2 strikers to ‘rely’ upon. Unfortunately that rules Wilson out. 

21 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We need 2 strikers to ‘rely’ upon. Unfortunately that rules Wilson out. 

That would suggest Wilson getting sold. I don't think that's going to happen, I think we'll buy a top striker to compete with Wilson, and maybe a younger one for the future. Depends how highly Howe thinks of Wilson I suppose.

New top class striker

New younger striker 

Wilson

Wood

4 strikers is even pretty conservative in a squad isn't it. Remember teams having 5 on the books, us included. Especially if they are versatile and can also play out wide etc. 

Just now, toontownman said:

New top class striker

New younger striker 

Wilson

Wood

4 strikers is even pretty conservative in a squad isn't it. Remember teams having 5 on the books, us included. Especially if they are versatile and can also play out wide etc. 

I'm gonna butcher this, but I remember in Sir Bobby's book about him and Ferguson having a conversation about loving strikers, always wanting 5 on the books. Probably got that wrong, but something along those lines :lol:

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, SiLvOR said:

I'm gonna butcher this, but I remember in Sir Bobby's book about him and Ferguson having a conversation about loving strikers, always wanting 5 on the books. Probably got that wrong, but something along those lines :lol:

Sir Bobby said you need 4 quality strikers if you want to compete. 

• 2 weeks later...