Callum Wilson behind schedule; set to return to full training within 'a few weeks' (Howe)

Strawberry

Just now, Likelylad said:

I want to start seeing the young lad now if we’re in a strong position from 75 minutes to ease the pressure on Isak because Wilson is a long term sick note. 

Absolutely aye, if not Isak will break down and we will all be scratching our heads. 

Also this highlights one of the issues with manager led recruitment decisions, Wilson should have been sold after that good season where he was relatively injury free. Now we are stuck with someone who is worthless. 

41 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Absolutely aye, if not Isak will break down and we will all be scratching our heads. 

Also this highlights one of the issues with manager led recruitment decisions, Wilson should have been sold after that good season where he was relatively injury free. Now we are stuck with someone who is worthless. 

*Subject to that being confirmed as Eddie's fault. It could just be that all the buying clubs don't and didn't want to buy him for the same reasons we wanted to sell him. There have been consistent noises around him being available for a year now.

I would hold it against Howe if he was the one resisting taking a decent fee for him in the past, but I'm not in a position to say that right now.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

*Subject to that being confirmed as Eddie's fault. It could just be that all the buying clubs don't and didn't want to buy him for the same reasons we wanted to sell him. There have been consistent noises around him being available for a year now.

I would hold it against Howe if he was the one resisting taking a decent fee for him in the past, but I'm not in a position to say that right now.

We had to shop him around and see what we could get which I don’t think we did, West Ham were rumoured to be interested. Could have shipped him to Saudi as well. 

We are the only club in the league who seemingly struggle to sell players. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We had to shop him around and see what we could get which I don’t think we did, West Ham were rumoured to be interested. Could have shipped him to Saudi as well. 

We are the only club in the league who seemingly struggle to sell players. 

We did have an exceptionally shit pre-takeover squad, mind. A perfect blend of the talentless, the overpaid, the elderly and the infirm. We'd have no problem selling Livramento tomorrow.

I agree we should have been shopping him around but a) we can't make them take him, and b) do people want Eddie encroaching on the Sports Director's territory or not? 

I'm not disputing that I've wanted us to do a lot better at moving players on, but I am disputing that it's definitely Eddie's prominence that's responsible for us not doing so.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

We did have an exceptionally shit pre-takeover squad, mind. A perfect blend of the talentless, the overpaid, the elderly and the infirm. We'd have no problem selling Livramento tomorrow.

I agree we should have been shopping him around but a) we can't make them take him, and b) do people want Eddie encroaching on the Sports Director's territory or not? 

I'm not disputing that I've wanted us to do a lot better at moving players on, but I am disputing that it's definitely Eddie's prominence that's responsible for us not doing so.

Oh yeah, no way of knowing it’s Eddie and not was I blaming him for Wilson. Eddie has only ever spoken highly of Wilson and I’m sure he would not push him out which is what I was getting at. 

It’s also reported that prior to Mitchell Eddie was heavily involved in all aspects when it comes to first team matters. 

“Whilst Wilson’s recovery was expected to see a September return, complications due to bed sores caused by excessive use of the physio’s table over the years have hampered the return of Newcastle’s brittle-boned talisman”

2 hours ago, RS said:

“Whilst Wilson’s recovery was expected to see a September return, complications due to bed sores caused by excessive use of the physio’s table over the years have hampered the return of Newcastle’s brittle-boned talisman”

Please tell me this is joke 

2 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I love Wilson and willock. But going forward,  it's better to pretend they don't exist. 

No way should we be comparing Willock to Wilson when it comes to injuries

2 hours ago, M1tche said:

No way should we be comparing Willock to Wilson when it comes to injuries

Why not? They’re both class when fit, but not often enough fit as to be reliable to be considered first XI options imo.

Bit early to write off Willock imo. He's been prone to injuries, but only since his first fairly lengthy injury at the very end of the 22/23 season, and has picked up a number of different injuries since then. When that happens, I feel like I've read somewhere that it often means that a player has not properly rehabilitated when other parts of the body gets injured as they are trying to compensate for lack of mobility/strength in the area that was originally injured.

If he and the medical team get his rehabilitation right, I hope and think he can still overcome it.