Callum Wilson

Strawberry

11 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Not sure anyone would pay for a soon to be 32 year old striker with a shocking injury history.

Unless Saudi want him he's staying here until his contract ends.

He's still a very good striker when he's fit. One of the best English strikers out there. He was superb last season and deservedly was selected for the England World Cup squad. There'd be teams out there willing to take a punt on him no doubt about it.

He's still on course to play a similar amount of games as last season should he not miss too many more games, and he did manage 18 goals. 

Hopefully he has a great second half to the season like he did in our previous season, where he banged in something like 11 goals after the cup final defeat. 8 goals and 1 assist in a calender month.

Just now, Toonjam88 said:

My mate just pointed out Wilson missed round 3 of the FA Cup and was in Dubai the same time last year 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's a nice time to be there tbh, lovely warm weather at this time of the year.

I've got an uncomfortable feeling that with Wison being out for at least two weeks, Sunderland might fancy their chances more on Saturday if they cripple Isak early on in the game. This is the problem with having injury prone strikers, if one goes down then you are left hoping to God that the other one doesn't get crocked in the meantime.

3 hours ago, Beth said:

According to Capology (I know) he's "only" on 46k a week, thought it would have been more than that. 

I’d wager his one year extension pumped that up a touch.

I've seen better Newcastle teams than this look absolutely toothless without a genuine striker up top even though the player there was Rob Lee.

Albeit Blackburn a year before they won the league and Monaco in 97 (Henry et al) were of a slightly higher standard than the current mackems

Edited by Wolfcastle

Shame he wasn’t involved yesterday he would’ve loved that. Absolutely fantastic player when fit but sadly his injuries mean we’ll see less and less of him. Needs replacing as the second main striker behind Isak and should be used as a 3rd option for 15-20 cameos in league games and for cup and Europe assuming we get a European spot. I hope he stays but I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes in the summer with someone coming in and offering him a longer contract. 

38 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Shame he wasn’t involved yesterday he would’ve loved that. Absolutely fantastic player when fit but sadly his injuries mean we’ll see less and less of him. Needs replacing as the second main striker behind Isak and should be used as a 3rd option for 15-20 cameos in league games and for cup and Europe assuming we get a European spot. I hope he stays but I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes in the summer with someone coming in and offering him a longer contract. 

Was thinking the same, he’d have lived for winding them up with a goal. Would prob have run to them even if he scored at our end. 

Is it right that his contract is up at the end of next season? If so, that feels like a natural place for us to part ways.

Bring in a third striker this summer, an up and coming raw talent, then go big on a top striker in summer 2025.

2 hours ago, NSG said:

Is it right that his contract is up at the end of next season? If so, that feels like a natural place for us to part ways.

Bring in a third striker this summer, an up and coming raw talent, then go big on a top striker in summer 2025.

We have the top striker already, I think that’s the tricky thing facing our recruitment team. 

Might be better to keep Wilson and rotate him with a younger option as backups to Isak. 

On 04/01/2024 at 17:43, Beth said:

According to Capology (I know) he's "only" on 46k a week, thought it would have been more than that. 

Yeah, that does look ‘off’ tbf. 

At best I think that might be what he was on when we first signed him, but he’s signed a new deal since then which I’m fairly sure would have been a rise.

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We have the top striker already, I think that’s the tricky thing facing our recruitment team. 

Might be better to keep Wilson and rotate him with a younger option as backups to Isak. 

It would be absolutely ludicrous to offer a 33 year old Wilson a new contract like.

On 03/01/2024 at 08:48, Wallsendmag said:

He's still a very good striker when he's fit. One of the best English strikers out there. He was superb last season and deservedly was selected for the England World Cup squad. There'd be teams out there willing to take a punt on him no doubt about it.

Agreed - he’s still in 7 in 14 for this season whilst sharing apps with isak, making him the 10th highest goal scorer of the prem this season. 

2 hours ago, NSG said:

It would be absolutely ludicrous to offer a 33 year old Wilson a new contract like.

Absolute ludicrous is an overstatement - say we bought another like isak, therefore dropping him to our third choice and an option to come of the bench when bossing games and chasing a goal. I’m ok with that.

Just now, Terrymac1966 said:

Calum Wilson is in Dubai...is that a pointer to an exchange on the cards....he is reported as injured officially but who knows for sure? He was on the same flight out as my fishing mates niece...

Nope, he's injured. Nothing more to it.

Just now, Terrymac1966 said:

Calum Wilson is in Dubai...is that a pointer to an exchange on the cards....he is reported as injured officially but who knows for sure? He was on the same flight out as my fishing mates niece...

Look forward to all those fuming at Tonali to be in here soon