Football governance

Nobody

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

Legacy vermin. 

Good to see you didn't read what you posted and what I commented on?

I said there’s 10 hours of premier league on every Saturday and Sunday. Been like this for years. What does that have to do with a pandemic? I’ve been watching English football on tv from 6pm (noon there) until 4am for a while already (until I had a kid). We get all 380 games here live. There’s five channels for your 3pm games here. 

By all means reform The Champions League, but under no circumstances should it be reformed in favour of selection ahead of merit.

No idea why that's so alien to those clubs, their own arrogance, greed and pompous self importance blinds them to how ridiculous they are.The fact they think they should be in because of who they are, rather than how they performed the previous season, means we should treat them with contempt and ridicule.

My hope is they disappear up their arses, that's where they belong, in the shitter.

Edited by Bimpy474

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

By all means reform The Champions League, but under no circumstances should it be reformed in favour of selection ahead of merit.

No idea why that's so alien to those clubs, their own arrogance, greed and pompous self importance blinds them to how ridiculous they are.The fact they think they should be in because of who they are, rather than how they performed the previous season, means we should treat them with the contempt and ridicule.

My hope is they disappear up their arses, that's where they belong, in the shitter.

100% agree.

UEFA also deserve a lot of blame if this goes ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I said there’s 10 hours of premier league on every Saturday and Sunday. Been like this for years. What does that have to do with a pandemic? I’ve been watching English football on tv from 6pm (noon there) until 4am for a while already (until I had a kid). We get all 380 games here live. There’s five channels for your 3pm games here. 

The difference is the day of the week. I can watch NFL all afternoon and evening on a Sunday, but I couldn't on a Tuesday. Champions league games could start earlier, but even then you're talking about two different time slots at most. This becomes an issue when the fans can't make it to the earlier start times due to work, or can't get home as public transport is finished once the game ends. UEFA could improve things, but running away to form your own forever league is a fucking stupid idea. Real Madrid etc are only in this mess and need more TV money due to their own greed and incompetence. 

5 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

No idea why that's so alien to those clubs, their own arrogance, greed and pompous self importance blinds them to how ridiculous they are.The fact they think they should be in because of who they are, rather than how they performed the previous season, means we should treat them with contempt and ridicule.

It's alien to them because despite the billions they've spent, teams like Leicester (and West Ham this season) can still upset the apple cart and ruin their divine right to be at the big table every year.

7 minutes ago, thomas said:

Anyone theorizing this is done for some hypothetical American audience please remember this is still the overwhelming national opinion of the sport as explained by our greatest hero

YV2A9RI.png

4.5 billion in Asia. How many in North America?

Yes, the premier league is doing well. Foreign fans love it. The champions league isn’t, because UEFA are lazy. The champions league should be run more like the premier league. Yes, early and late night games inconvenience local fans. But without money, the league will be deprived of its best players. No one wants to see the league become like Serie A, where even the locals tune out because the best players no longer play there. Attendances there have trended down for a while, only perking up in the last few years. Small Italian teams and their fans will rarely if ever see the best players in the world play in their stadiums. That’s the other side of the coin to not being product-driven. 

The Premier League is doing well because a majority of their games are on Saturdays and Sundays.  The CL takes place during the week when most of us are working.  I can wake up with a cup of coffee on a Saturday or Sunday and watch any number of games across Europe. 

UEFA is not lazy it just can't compete against it's domestic leagues, nor should it.

2 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Bully for you. Assumed you were in the UK where there's not 10 hours of games on. 

Your views make more sense now. 

12 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

The Premier League is doing well because a majority of their games are on Saturdays and Sundays.  The CL takes place during the week when most of us are working.  I can wake up with a cup of coffee on a Saturday or Sunday and watch any number of games across Europe. 

UEFA is not lazy it just can't compete against it's domestic leagues, nor should it.

That’s true, but UEFA can attempt to broaden its audience. It can, like I mentioned previous posts, schedule games differently. It can relegate the europa league to a new channel or market and cross subsidise it less, it can run the CL three times a week. It can fix the coefficients system to give more competitive leagues more places, so there’s more parity and more interest before the QFs. It can also try to schedule weekend matches by swapping international friendlies to weekdays. Blasphemy, I know. I hope you see the point that I’m trying to make that UEFA are conflicted. It subsidises the Europa League, it has other interests in the Euros and Nations League and international matches. It’s not as focused on growing the champions league as the premier league is on growing itself. That’s why it punches well below its weight in tv revenue and audience interest. But yes, yes, money is bad. American money is really bad. Asian money is the worst. 

Edited by Giselle

7 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Goodbye football? How? PL would still be going and be more competitive and fairer than ever. 

Wouldn't want anything to do with the leftovers. Well done, you've won the trophy for 7th best English side.

It would decimate domestic football.

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It's terrible and the change was only made to try to appease these clubs that are leaving 

7 minutes ago, Giselle said:

That’s true, but UEFA can attempt to broaden its audience. It can, like I mentioned previous posts, schedule games differently. It can relegate the europa league to a new channel or market and cross subsidise it less, it can run the CL three times a week. It can fix the coefficients system to give more competitive leagues more places, so there’s more parity and more interest before the QFs. It can also try to schedule weekend matches by swapping international friendlies to weekdays. Blasphemy, I know. I hope you see the point that I’m trying to make that UEFA are conflicted. It subsidises the Europa League, it has other interests in the Euros and Nations League and international matches. It’s not as focused on growing the champions league as the premier league is on growing itself. That’s why it punches well below its weight in tv revenue and audience interest. But yes, yes, money is bad. American money is really bad. Asian money is the worst. 

That's not the reason it can't rival the PL TV revenue wise. See my post regarding how rights work, there's no base-country for UEFA. They'd have to close shop to increase TV revenue, the exact thing we don't want to happen with the Super League. 

Europa League generates a lot of money that matters to smaller leagues and the matches there with any Norwegian side are more popular than essentially any CL game in Norway (before the QFs) without a Norwegian team.

8 minutes ago, 54 said:

Fuck me I have seen it all now Chelski fans protesting about greed and competitiveness been ruined! It was their club who started all this in this country in 2004. Them and Man City are responsible for the PL becoming a closed shop and predictable.  Be doing us all a favour if they left and let the rest of us who don’t have oil money have a chance to compete. 

3 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Wouldn't want anything to do with the leftovers. Well done, you've won the trophy for 7th best English side.

It would decimate domestic football.

I disagree. Would still be a highly competitive 20 team PL that the winners of can rightly be proud of and be champions of England as the other 6 won’t be part of english football. I just find it weird people have spent years moaning about the big 6 and how unfair it is now there is the prospect of them finally leaving people are devastated. They wouldn’t be missed. Awful soulless clubs with soulless plastic fans 

That’s true, but UEFA can attempt to broaden its audience. It can, like I mentioned previous posts, schedule games differently. It can relegate the europa league to a new channel or market and cross subsidise it less, it can run the CL three times a week. It can fix the coefficients system to give more competitive leagues more places, so there’s more parity and more interest before the QFs. It can also try to schedule weekend matches by swapping international friendlies to weekdays. Blasphemy, I know. I hope you see the point that I’m trying to make that UEFA are conflicted. It subsidises the Europa League, it has other interests in the Euros and Nations League and international matches. It’s not as focused on growing the champions league as the premier league is on growing itself. That’s why it punches well below its weight in tv revenue and audience interest. 

OK, so what about match congestion?  It's already been an issue.  I do agree that CL and EL need a good evaluation but the answers will not come easy.  In this case I actually think less is more but that will offend the bean counters.

any backlash against the newcastle statement from our fans? the sheer hipocrisy of it.

any of the media cunts that are now crying about the potential ESL willing to now apologise to us toon fans?

ashley and bruce both openly admitted nufc's only mission is to stay in the premier league and it doesnt matter if we arent competing for trophies or trying to achieve european qualification.

the fans were lamabasted for wanting a club that "tried" and didnt want to just exist in the PL year in year out to pick up a payheck.

the premier league should have thrown us out of the league there and then.

we;ve been crying about this lack of wanting to compete for years and have been saying what is the point of following such a club? 

nobody listened.

now its happening on a much larger scale and affecting their clubs , they're in tears,

fuck the lot of them