Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

He’s missed the ball and booted him in the foot. What’s not a penalty? [emoji38]

Exactly.

That’s true but it’s not the question VAR is meant to answer.

Was it a ‘clear and obvious mistake’?

Referee initially didn’t think the forward was fouled. Replay shows no contact with the ball and kicked the forward in the foot. Clear and obvious surely?

Well like I said above, if that’s the thinking then it’s just redoing the decision. Basically, was it right or wrong?

But that’s not the point of VAR, it’s supposed to be ‘was it reasonable that the referee decided what he did at the time?’.

Personally I’d rather just review the facts of the decision, I guess they’re still obsessed with this idea of protecting the ref’s authority or respectability.

What are the commentators blathering on about? This is exactly what we wanted. The ref went to the screen and made a decision.

But the point is, was it a clear and obvious error? I don’t know if there’s a difference between that and ‘was it right or wrong’, that’s quite a difficult semantic question. But I guess there’s supposed to be.

When he looks at the screen, I guess he should ask ‘was it reasonable that I decided it wasn’t a penalty?’. He’s not meant to be redoing the decision as such.

I see your point actually. Although, for me, a ref going to a screen and potentially redoing the decision is the way to go. I’d take that over how VAR has previously been implemented.

It’s a bit weird listening to Crouch and Cole complaining about VAR then all saying it’s a penalty. Which is it lads?

It's a penalty, that referee got wrong but wasn't clear and obvious imho.