Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

For me, the correct change was Fernandez on for Ronaldo, push Cavani up front, Greenwood and Sancho around him in a 4-3-3. 

Ronaldo's main strength was when he had the space to run at defences with the ball, but he doesn't seem to be able or willing to do that any more. In his current position, he's still a good finisher, but he doesn't contribute well enough in other areas. 

I don't think I've once seen Rangnick shouting any instructions from the sidelines, or even looking particularly animated. A manager doesn't have to be a teacup thrower, but the team looks like its lacking in leadership and direction, and he may be part of the problem.

Was a bit weird the praise they were getting for going down the pick a random German nerd route. As always, seeing them fail will never not be a thing of beauty.

Do well to challenge for the Conference League in future seasons once we begin to thrive 

One of the worst Man United performances I can ever remember. Completely dominated from start to finish at home to a mid table side. Wolves could have won 5-0 and it wouldn't have flattered them.

Just now, Tomato Deuce said:

Doesn’t seem like the 4-2-2-2 suits them. Problem is I’m not sure what system would fit them. They have a wealth of attackers but can’t get the ball to them.

Totally agree but I think the huge void in the middle of the park is the biggest issue right now imo. The obvious solution is to stick Pogba (or v.d Beek) in there rather than dross like Fred or Matic. Not sure where Pogba fits into this 4-2-2-2 though. They need to make some big decisions about the composition of that squad though.

Thing with 4-2-2 is there's no room to fit Fernandes in unless you're shunting him out on the wing or playing him centre mid (which I don't think he has the discipline for).

And Fernandes has been their most influential player since he joined. Ronaldo is such a hinderance to any formation they want to play imo

The complete lack of any plan is hilarious in their squad. Bought Van de Beek for loads knowing that he basically plays in the same position as Bruno/Pogba albeit in a different way. Brought back Ronaldo despite Bruno struggling really badly in the Euros just a few months ago with Ronaldo in the side

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

The complete lack of any plan is hilarious in their squad. Bought Van de Beek for loads knowing that he basically plays in the same position as Bruno/Pogba albeit in a different way. Brought back Ronaldo despite Bruno struggling really badly in the Euros just a few months ago with Ronaldo in the side

Isn't it great? [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

Aren't they all struggling with Ronaldo in the side though? He seems to want to play just as an old fashioned goal-poacher, and everyone has to fit in around that. He doesn't hold the ball up well, create anything for his team mates or close down defenders, which should all be at least part of a modern striker's game.

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Aren't they all struggling with Ronaldo in the side though? He seems to want to play just as an old fashioned goal-poacher, and everyone has to fit in around that. He doesn't hold the ball up well, create anything for his team mates or close down defenders, which should all be at least part of a modern striker's game.

Well aye most of the teams he's been in since Real Madrid seem like they would be better off without him

13 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

The players don’t believe in the system so they stop playing it after 15 minutes and start doing their own thing. It’s glorious to see.

How is 4-2-2-2 supposed to work? The obvious question is who goes out wide, and if that's the two more advanced midfield players then you've got a 4-2-4 and the midfield gets overrun. If they stay back then you've got an old fashioned 4-4-2.

I can only imagine that it's actually a very sophisticated creation where everyone's interchanging positions, but I presume you'd need very versatile players and time to coach them into the right way of thinking. Rangnick doesn't have time, and needs to get the best from the players he's got. 

He's an interim manager, and normally you'd expect someone in that position to just be keeping things ticking over until the permanent manager is installed. But Rangnick is acting like he's laying down a long-term plan, which presumably the new man is going to take over at the end of the season whilst he watches from upstairs. 

Edited by Cronky

37 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

The players don’t believe in the system so they stop playing it after 15 minutes and start doing their own thing. It’s glorious to see.

Just like Pardews Newcastle 

33 minutes ago, Cronky said:

How is 4-2-2-2 supposed to work? The obvious question is who goes out wide, and if that's the two more advanced midfield players then you've got a 4-2-4 and the midfield gets overrun. If they stay back then you've got an old fashioned 4-4-2.

I can only imagine that it's actually a very sophisticated creation where everyone's interchanging positions, but I presume you'd need very versatile players and time to coach them into the right way of thinking. Rangnick doesn't have time, and needs to get the best from the players he's got. 

He's an interim manager, and normally you'd expect someone in that position to just be keeping things ticking over until the permanent manager is installed. But Rangnick is acting like he's laying down a long-term plan, which presumably the new man is going to take over at the end of the season whilst he watches from upstairs. 

Pretty certain Man City used 4-2-2-2 under Mancini. You need top class full backs for it to work.