Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

Alan Smith as commentator grates on me even more with every game.

He’s just dense, and adds absolutely nothing.

I honestly think he doesn’t know the rules of the game or watch it outside of work.

It’s hard to believe that he was actually a footballer.

Re: lack of quality commentators

I think the main problem is they are trying to push through a new crop of commentators that are old pros who are the "color" commentary as opposed to the straight commentary/play-by-play ie: Tyler. There needs to be the balance and no old pro wants to sit in the Tyler seat they want to sit in the color seat, and they're only letting old pros become commentators. There needs to be people getting into commentating that are okay with just being the play-by-play person like Tyler has done for how ever many decades now.

We do need better commentators across the board.

I don’t think they have been representative or in touch with fans for a long time. They have always seemed to be biased or just not educated enough. I think that was a reason why many people were joyed when Keys and Grey were shown the door.

The problem has been that they haven’t really replaced them with good alternatives. A few of the former female players have made the transition well in my opinion, Carragher speaks sense a lot of the time. Others have just been a disaster though and they are trying to shoehorn in former players into the role, see Clinton Morrison, Owen etc.

In the Euro’s ITV I think it was had Drogba in the studio as a pundit. He spoke som much sense every time, I’m shocked no one has picked him up.

A lot of the change we do see seems to be on pundits though, and not commentators which also needs an overhaul.

Sky seem to be happy to keep Martin Tyler in so he can scream ‘and it’s live’ at the beginning of the match every time, because the 1st time he did it he was able to reach a depth of tone and sound excited by it. Ever since then it has been old, screechy, and forced.

You can't use VAR to change a decision like that, pure nitpicking. A penalty is too big an event to change that from a free kick, when the main barge is clearly outside. They put that "clear and obvious" shite in for a reason and now they appear to have binned that off in favour of studying everything in minute detail.