Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

There's more than a hint of Eredivisie about the Bundesliga these days. There's basically nobody in the league bothers with defending. That's sure to end in quite a few attacking players coming to the PL for big money and flopping.

We were shite tonight which says everything about the league given we're somehow 2nd.

That said maybe I'm being harsh. Apparently the sign of a 'good team' is to win while not playing well and we had Richarlison, James, Digne, Allan all out with Coleman and Gomes on the bench. Tom Davies was even bordering on OK.

Sheff Utd are in serious danger of breaking Derby's record.

Don't rate Davies then?

Not remotely. Doesn't offer much going forward, usually reckless in the tackle and not a particularly good range of passing. Have no idea what he actually offers.

Played decently tonight in the sense he kept the ball better than usual and kept things "ticking over", which admittedly usually means not doing much. And it's telling it's the first game he's looked alright in in a while, when we come up against Championship level opposition.

Happy for my mind to be changed but can't see it.

I get that and tbh perhaps I'm wrong to somewhat dismiss their records in an albeit easier league. However I just remember hearing both on here and in the media that Werner was one of Europe's most deadly strikers. He really isn't, the lad can't finish. He needs sitter after sitter to register, and he's playing in a team which creates lots of chances.

As for Havertz, no idea what he's meant to bring. Doesn't appear to possess any outstanding attribute.

Werner came to the PL with a good record, and looked very dangerous early on when he was used as the main striker. Haven't watched much of Chelsea for a few months, but get the impression he is used more out wide now? If used correctly i think he'll deliver.

Wrote this on Havertz back in september:

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=102957.msg7316002#msg7316002

Not much has changed since then. He did really well at his former club

Aye Werner's record bordered on sensational numbers-wise. I do think there's truth in Wullie's above statement though regarding the Bundesliga.

21 & 24 the two lads, plenty of time to adjust yet but early signs are really bad for Chelsea, in that they may need to spend again to plug the gaps left by those two underperforming if they want to mount a serious challenge next year, 'cause this year's is done.

Werner will come good imo. Clearly short of confidence and playing out of position but he's still looked a threat in alot of the games. Missed a lot of chances but it'd be much more worrying if he wasn't getting into the great positions so often. Daft to write him off after 1/3 of a season in a new league.

I always liked Davies, Neil watches him way more than me though. Probably be good for our level

I'm probably more exaggerated in my distaste of him than most of our fans. :lol: But I dunno, he's one of those players who isn't particularly good at anything. If he had especially good technical ability and kept it simple in that sense I'd be fine with it, but he doesn't. Think he gets by on "working hard" and "keeping things ticking over". I got told in Year 9 I was really good at keeping things ticking over and I knew at that point my football career was over.

Genuinely think he only looked good tonight due to playing one of the worst PL teams in history.

I always liked Davies, Neil watches him way more than me though. Probably be good for our level

I'm probably more exaggerated in my distaste of him than most of our fans. :lol: But I dunno, he's one of those players who isn't particularly good at anything. If he had especially good technical ability and kept it simple in that sense I'd be fine with it, but he doesn't. Think he gets by on "working hard" and "keeping things ticking over". I got told in Year 9 I was really good at keeping things ticking over and I knew at that point my football career was over.

Genuinely think he only looked good tonight due to playing one of the worst PL teams in history.

We've got about 25 of them.

:lol: I once thought Li Tie looked promising so tbf my opinion on everything is utterly worthless.

Was going to mention before Shearer started wanking over him but Joao Cancelo does look a cracking player.

Looks like Pep is trying to Lahm him a bit too.

Few managers/coaches better at gradually moulding players into different positions than Pep too.

:lol: I once thought Li Tie looked promising so tbf my opinion on everything is utterly worthless.

I remember him quote fondly, although the recollection is blurry.

Kante-esque man, ruined by injuries  :shifty:

I remember him quote fondly, although the recollection is blurry.

Kante-esque man, ruined by injuries  :shifty:

We can all agree he was no Alex Nyarko.