Diego Armando Maradona - 1960-2020

Nobody

Gone off Lineker recently mind.

How come?

The other day he basically implied that those who used to play football like Southgate, knew better than fans. Painted fans as thick and had secondary opinions to ex pros. Which is one of mine main gripes of modern football. Fans IMO are the lifeblood of the game and are often much more in tune with reality.

He was also once putting down parents who watch their kids and want their kids to succeed in the game (whether likely or not), which annoyed me. Most great footballers probably had a parent pushing them to get better and better. It doesnt mean they dont love their kids FFS.

Just gripes of mine with him. None of the above is fact by the way, it was just the way he was coming off. Which disappointed me.

I might be mistaken, but whenever he's spoken out against parents at football it's towards those that are total arseholes on the sidelines, no?

Gone off Lineker recently mind.

How come?

The other day he basically implied that those who used to play football like Southgate, knew better than fans. Painted fans as thick and had secondary opinions to ex pros. Which is one of mine main gripes of modern football. Fans IMO are the lifeblood of the game and are often much more in tune with reality.

He was also once putting down parents who watch their kids and want their kids to succeed in the game (whether likely or not), which annoyed me. Most great footballers probably had a parent pushing them to get better and better. It doesnt mean they dont love their kids FFS.

Just gripes of mine with him. None of the above is fact by the way, it was just the way he was coming off. Which disappointed me.

I might be mistaken, but whenever he's spoken out against parents at football it's towards those that are total arseholes on the sidelines, no?

Yes, it was a follow on from that sort of conversation. Perfectly correct about arsehole parents.

Yeah, clearly just using a reference Maradona used himself and changing it to make a fitting tribute.

As an example...

What a really strange reply.

Think it was incorrectly taken to be 'ha now the hand of god is what you're in...cos you're dead', which think has been the tone from some English press, but obviously not from Linekar.

Love this Sunderland Echo story. Sunderland would finish 6th in the 2nd Division 77/78. Maradona had made his club debut in Oct 76 and turned 17 in Oct 77 having just made his international debut. It turns out that as opposed to wanting to play for Argentina or play for Boca, his club, that he really wanted to play for Sunderland at home to Oldham for his 17th birthday.

Maradona, then just 17-years-old, was attracting interest having burst onto the scene for the national team as well as his club side, Argentinos Juniors.

And one of the first clubs to register an interest in the attacker were Sunderland - with Maradona keen to make the move.

But Argentina, then ruled by a military dictatorship, declared Maradona 'untransferrable' and demanded he remained on home soil.

Despite threatening to retire in order to seal a move to Wearside, the youngster was forced to stay in his homeland before eventually moving to Barcelona in 1982 as he missed out on his dream move to Roker Park.

As Maradona’s biographer, Daniel Arcucci, explained: “The first offer that Maradona received was from England’s Sunderland in 1977 and Maradona wanted to go.

“He said ‘If they don’t sell me to Sunderland, I’m retiring’. At that time we didn’t have a democratic government and they declared him untransferable, one of a group of players who were untransferable

Well Maradona; the ref rightly pulled up those fouls. Maradona was no saint either in his tackling or kneeing playing staff in the head knocking them unconscious before they’d hit the deck.

All time great no doubt all the same.

Well Maradona; the ref rightly pulled up those fouls. Maradona was no saint either in his tackling or kneeing playing staff in the head knocking them unconscious before they’d hit the deck.

There was about 4 red card offences in that video. If England had 7 men he wouldn't have needed to handball it

There was about 4 red card offences in that video. If England had 7 men he wouldn't have needed to handball it

Howay, man. :lol:

Red card offences in 2020 aye. You could watch any match pre-2005 and find about 10 red card offences in them all.

:(

Arguably still the GOAT.

Can't think of anyone in my lifetime who was better. That 2nd goal against England in the famous hand of god world cup game still sticks in my mind as the best individual goal I've seen. Although I admit that might be because at the time we had never seen those sort of skills at the top level at the time.