In memoriam

James

Man, this one feels like a surprise. Had no idea he was as old as 80 now.

I'll always like Terry Venables for the amazing journey that was Euro 96 and introducing me to the Christmas Tree formation. He was the kind of manager who seemed to know how to get the best out of players like Gazza too. 

He had the reputation of a real innovator and probably should have had an even better career as a manager. Very popular with his players apparently, but said by one chairman to have a flibbertygibbert mindset.

One way or the other, a real character.

10 minutes ago, Cronky said:

He had the reputation of a real innovator and probably should have had an even better career as a manager. Very popular with his players apparently, but said by one chairman to have a flibbertygibbert mindset.

One way or the other, a real character.

Was way ahead of his time with the pressing system 

Seemed a top bloke tbh 

RIP Terry 

A good manager and good coach. I first remember him as being coach of Barcelona during the mid 80's (El Tel!) - had Steve Archibald and Bernt Shuchster playing for him. Then of course his Spurs side with Gazza and Lineker, followed by his spell as England coach.

A larger than life character, but I don't really remember anyone having much word of a bad thing to say about him.

RIP TV. :thup:

9 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

A good manager and good coach. I first remember him as being coach of Barcelona during the mid 80's (El Tel!) - had Steve Archibald and Bernt Shuchster playing for him. Then of course his Spurs side with Gazza and Lineker, followed by his spell as England coach.

A larger than life character, but I don't really remember anyone having much word of a bad thing to say about him.

RIP TV. :thup:

Alan Sugar may have slipped your mind ;)

Oh this is gutting. He's kind of responsible for me supporting Newcastle - Euro 96 was the first tournament I watched properly aged 6, and Shearer was my idol coming out of it and we know what happened next. Really sad news.

Aye, euro 96 was peak football. Games at SJP, queuing outside the chronicle for free tickets for France vs Romania (iirc) with loads of older lads and blokes, Shearer doing the biz and another almost there moment. 3 lions flooding the airwaves. El tel felt responsible for the mood, certainly a manager who could tap into the support and galvanise a nation.

RIP.

On 26/11/2023 at 12:52, OCK said:

Man, this one feels like a surprise. Had no idea he was as old as 80 now.

Really? I'm amazed he was only 80. I was 6 and just getting into football the year of euro 96. Always thought he was 60+ then

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Great photo

Then managed the incredible feat of losing the most boring European Cup Final to Steaua, somehow missing all four penalties in a shootout.  Not sure if any other team in European football history missed every spot kick in a shootout 

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2024 at 08:04, TheBrownBottle said:

RIP Mario Zagallo.  They should bury the man with the World Cup - unbelievable record.  

“… relieve for Zagallo at last”