Elliot Anderson

joeyt

He’s got nothing special physically and nothing special skill wise so I feel his only path to becoming a truly good player is if he’s a step ahead of everyone else from in the top inch. If he can read the game and anticipate exceptionally well then he good have a good career. 
But at this point, the only thing I’ve seen from him is plenty of heart and willingness. Very admirable traits tbf. 

2 hours ago, Joelinton7 said:

He did well today. I don’t know if I’m imagining it but I’m sure in the reserves and on loan at Bristol he used to be far more adventurous in running at defender and dribbling, he used to glide past them and was quite proficient at megging people. He seems to have curbed it a bit. Definitely our Foden though. 

He was up against reserves and whoever Bristol were playing though.

His close control is really good, he’s got great vision and decision making. The drawbacks are his lack of pace mainly. Whether he becomes a player at the top end of the league really depends on whether he can score goals consistently I think. I’m still not entirely sure what his best position is 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

He was up against reserves and whoever Bristol were playing though.

this is a big point. He was waltzing past 2 or 3 defenders and scoring regularly in that Bristol side, hence the Geordie Maradona patter. He's done ok since he was brought in but he isn't going past the better defenders in this division and playing it safe more often

He's 20. At the same age Jack Grealish had 18 PL appearances to his name (Anderson has 23) and was just about to be relegated with Villa and spend three seasons in the Championship. 

Now I'm obviously not saying he's going to develop into Jack Grealish but he's got plenty of time to work out his own game and improve.

The extended highlights showed a few things he was involved in. A through ball, recycling possession and moving around edge of the box, offering support to Burn and also tracking back well. Can’t see anything wrong with that performance at all. Needs more games.

When he shone on loan he was wide left.

I think that's probably where he feels most comfortable.

Looks most convincing when he has a chance to face up his player and try to take them on.

In the middle of the pitch there were too many players around him so he didn't have room to manoeuvre. He also struggled physically when put under pressure.

Physically he's got a strong upper body, but looks like he has to get a stronger base to be able to hold players off him.

He was alright on Saturday, it was a physical sort of game lacking quality and whilst he didn't stamp his authority all over it, he didn't look out of place either. There was one excellent through ball to Barnes first half and he was generally tidy and combative and dependable.

He'll have flashier and better games than he did at the weekend but he definitely showed Howe he can mix it and be depended on in a PL fixture.

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

He was alright on Saturday, it was a physical sort of game lacking quality and whilst he didn't stamp his authority all over it, he didn't look out of place either. There was one excellent through ball to Barnes first half and he was generally tidy and combative and dependable.

He'll have flashier and better games than he did at the weekend but he definitely showed Howe he can mix it and be depended on in a PL fixture.

Yep didn’t allow himself to get bullied.

4 hours ago, KaKa said:

When he shone on loan he was wide left.

I think that's probably where he feels most comfortable.

Looks most convincing when he has a chance to face up his player and try to take them on.

In the middle of the pitch there were too many players around him so he didn't have room to manoeuvre. He also struggled physically when put under pressure.

Physically he's got a strong upper body, but looks like he has to get a stronger base to be able to hold players off him.

He's already shredded at 20, think there's a photo of him earlier in the thread looking the business, but I agree with you. He'll fill out a bit more and be harder to move off of the ball when in possession. 

I can't remember the last time we had such promising youngsters amongst our homegrown ranks. I guess Stephen Taylor and Andy Carroll are the extent of anything "PL Level" the academy produced under Ashley. Which is a miracle given the lack of investment.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

It’s a fair point, his technique is very good and it has to be because he’s physically probably the poorest attacking player in the first team 

He's 20 and shredded:

:lol: He's only going to get bigger and better.

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

He's 20 and shredded:

:lol: He's only going to get bigger and better.

I don’t mean that he doesn’t muscle or physical strength. I mean he’s not an athlete with incredible stamina or pace. He’s particularly slow for a wide player but his ability on the ball is good enough to compensate for it 

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t mean that he doesn’t muscle or physical strength. I mean he’s not an athlete with incredible stamina or pace. He’s particularly slow for a wide player but his ability on the ball is good enough to compensate for it 

He's not slow