Elliot Anderson

joeyt

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

All this talk about him possibly playing for England seems incredibly premature 

Aye, he can't get a game for us with Willock injured and Joelinton hobbling around the place.

Think he'll become a decent top flight player but I'll be amazed if he ever plays more than a couple of friendlies for England considering the depth of quality you have.

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

Aye, he can't get a game for us with Willock injured and Joelinton hobbling around the place.

Think he'll become a decent top flight player but I'll be amazed if he ever plays more than a couple of friendlies for England considering the depth of quality you have.

He's 20 and trying to get into one of the best teams in the league, give the lad some time.

Edited by KDT

1 minute ago, KDT said:

He's 20 and trying to get into one of the best teams in the league, give the lad some time.

I mean, I personally think he should have started at least a couple of games for us so far.

Not meant as a knock on him, more just the immense quality England have in their squad.

Be delighted if he proves me wrong and become a top player.

I'd also be fine with England's talent drying up and him getting a game down the road that way :lol:

On 12/09/2023 at 10:06, joeyt said:

All this talk about him possibly playing for England seems incredibly premature 

It’s only happened because Scotland have tried to cap him, he pulled out and Southgate was asked about it. If Scotland hadn’t tried to cap him and if he hadn’t pulled out ‘injured’ his name wouldn’t have been uttered in connection with England once this weekend. Him pulling out of the scotland squad is what has made this the story not anything he’s done in his career so far 

Didn't look out of place at all like, he didn't do anything particularly exceptionally, but he looked comfortable in possession, and got back and did his defensive work well. If this is his base in which he's going to grow from, we've got a player.

He did everything Howe wants from a midfielder; worked hard, didn’t give the ball away, alert for turnover in possession, linked up play with the wide man, didn’t make mistakes or take any unnecessary risks.

This isn’t necessarily the top priorities I would want in a midfielder but for Howe with our formation and tactics he did what was required of him to a good standard.

I honestly don’t know what to make of him. Not sure what type of player he is or will be in the long term for us. He did ok tonight but Tonali is miles ahead in terms of technical ability. One to watch develop under Eddie hopefully. 

He did well today. I don’t know if I’m imagining it but I’m sure in the reserves and on loan at Bristol he used to be far more adventurous in running at defender and dribbling, he used to glide past them and was quite proficient at megging people. He seems to have curbed it a bit. Definitely our Foden though. 

I don’t like him in the middle. I think he has great footwork and he’s really good on the ball. Neat and tidy, plays off both feet, has the odd trick.

But too often, he looks a bit lost positionally, to me. Like he’ll go and press, but get easily bypassed and never seems effective in doing so. Or when a player is receiving the ball. He regularly gets into a position which means he can’t win it. But where he somehow is also turned with ease and then he’s in no man’s land. 

I think he has looked quality wide left. But he would be what, third or fourth choice for that position? 

Sounds harsh reading that back. As I rate him and he’s young. I just don’t think he suits playing centre mid at this level. 

10 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

He did well today. I don’t know if I’m imagining it but I’m sure in the reserves and on loan at Bristol he used to be far more adventurous in running at defender and dribbling, he used to glide past them and was quite proficient at megging people. He seems to have curbed it a bit. Definitely our Foden though. 

Slightly different level, mind. He did play off the left for Bristol Rovers and all, I believe. 

45 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

He did everything Howe wants from a midfielder; worked hard, didn’t give the ball away, alert for turnover in possession, linked up play with the wide man, didn’t make mistakes or take any unnecessary risks.

This isn’t necessarily the top priorities I would want in a midfielder but for Howe with our formation and tactics he did what was required of him to a good standard.

He definitely did. And he was completely anonymous for large parts of the game. I maintain that he's not good enough for us as it is and needs to play football regularly at a decent level to get himself acquainted with the rigours of a week-in-week-out schedule where he's getting good minutes. I don't think he's going to get that with us and could see him fizzling out into an average player when he's got a lot of potential. I think Howe's been a bit selfish here.

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I don’t like him in the middle. I think he has great footwork and he’s really good on the ball. Neat and tidy, plays off both feet, has the odd trick.

But too often, he looks a bit lost positionally, to me. Like he’ll go and press, but get easily bypassed and never seems effective in doing so. Or when a player is receiving the ball. He regularly gets into a position which means he can’t win it. But where he somehow is also turned with ease and then he’s in no man’s land. 

I think he has looked quality wide left. But he would be what, third or fourth choice for that position? 

Sounds harsh reading that back. As I rate him and he’s young. I just don’t think he suits playing centre mid at this level. 

At this point he’s undoubtedly better further forward on the left as Forrest away last season showed.