Joe Willock

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

Can someone tell me what Longstaff offers that Willock doesn't?

Struggling to see why we can't have a Bruno, Joelinton, Willock midfield 3.

Longstaff had a shitter yesterday but he covers a lot of ground.

Not saying it's the right decision but I think he's in there for his work rate and the way he moves around the pitch covering everywhere in midfield.

48 minutes ago, Sima said:

Can someone tell me what Longstaff offers that Willock doesn't?

Struggling to see why we can't have a Bruno, Joelinton, Willock midfield 3.

Longstaff allows Bruno to move forward since he can stay at the back and play the holding midfielder role. Basically Bruno and Longstaff alternate at playing that role, and one of the two will just sit at the back while the other one moves freely. 

Now if you play Bruno, Joelinton, and Willock, then it just means you will have Bruno play less attacking roles. Willock and Longstaff perform completely different roles. Playing as a holding midfielder is something Willock cannot do, but Longstaff can. 

Edited by Solitude20

3 hours ago, TRon said:

£20m looks like a steal now. Even if he doesn't develop into the top echelon player, we are going to have no problem getting our money back twice over. Not that I'd want to sell him like, the goals are still in there somewhere, maybe now he's more of a box to box midfielder he's not getting in the box like he was in his loan spell.

Isak running through then playing balls across the box will get Joe more goals. We were close a few times yesterday, slightly earlier pass and Willock smashes it in. His composure for the winner gets better with every watch. Its clear he knows exactly what he wants to do, moves the defenders then threads it through perfectly. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

If Willock was 10 times the player Joelinton is he'd literally be the best midfielder in the world. :lol: They're apples and oranges, but any comparison with Joelinton is always a compliment.

I have to disagree personally and at the moment prefer willock - we needed a winner yesterday and he got the assist, keeping his composure when it was needed. All I’ve seen in the last third from joelington recently is really bad weak shots wasting a lot of opportunities.  

i personally welcome the change for now anyway.

Here's a suggestion...Joelinton as a CDM? Bruno as the 8? 

He reads the game so well and would give Bruno license to attack. He does carry the ball forward well but I reckon he would do a better job than Longstaff. 

7 hours ago, CPL said:

Here's a suggestion...Joelinton as a CDM? Bruno as the 8? 

He reads the game so well and would give Bruno license to attack. He does carry the ball forward well but I reckon he would do a better job than Longstaff. 

Think you're wasting Joelinton like that though. He's better winning the ball higher up.

13 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

Longstaff allows Bruno to move forward since he can stay at the back and play the holding midfielder role. Basically Bruno and Longstaff alternate at playing that role, and one of the two will just sit at the back while the other one moves freely. 

Now if you play Bruno, Joelinton, and Willock, then it just means you will have Bruno play less attacking roles. Willock and Longstaff perform completely different roles. Playing as a holding midfielder is something Willock cannot do, but Longstaff can. 

Couldn’t Joelinton do what Longstaff does with regards filling in for Bruno at times, allowing him to get forward?

Edited by Sima

33 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think you're wasting Joelinton like that though. He's better winning the ball higher up.

But it never ends in anything - just endless pressure with no return. It was great to win again on Sunday but I’m still left thinking on the missed chances Bruno and botman had as we cannot be relying on one out two individuals to keep scoring. We know willock can score and he linked up well with isak and ASM at times. 

DM might work as they still came through The middle a lot and a few times it was left to schar to break b it down.

I love Willock, but it makes no sense to me that you'd say nothing Joelinton does ends in anything so we should, what? play Willock over him? Yet Joelinton has twice the goals and the same amount of assists Willock has.

It shouldn't even be either/or if that's the suggestion, you just play both. Joelinton has far, far more to his game than goals and assists anyway.

37 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I love Willock, but it makes no sense to me that you'd say nothing Joelinton does ends in anything so we should, what? play Willock over him? Yet Joelinton has twice the goals and the same amount of assists Willock has.

It shouldn't even be either/or if that's the suggestion, you just play both. Joelinton has far, far more to his game than goals and assists anyway.

Yep. Two totally different players, bringing different qualities. Willock is more skilful, but Joelinton plays more of an enforcer role, he's in there biting at the opposition and roughing them up a bit while he's at it. He's pretty good at keeping the ball as well in the middle of a scrum.

I think it will take a really good player to replace Joelinton right now, and it would have to be one with a similar style breaking up the opposition. They can both play anyway, they were doing it pretty successfully earlier on in the season.

If Joelinton added goals and assists to his game he'd be one of the best midfielders in the world. He's already one of the best in the prem at breaking up play, pressing and generally making the oppo midfielder's lives hell.

44 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'd be going with Joelinton, Bruno & Willock as first-choice for the rest of the season. Rotate ASM, Gordon & Almiron as the two wingers.

Yeah, same. I thought Longstaff looked tired yesterday which is unlike him.