Joe Willock

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

The role/position he is in just isnt working 

Seems like a lovely guy but I do wonder if the amount of instruction, responsibility and detail Howe likely gives him is too much for him. He thrived under Bruce likely because he could do whatever the fuck he wanted and was played mainly in advanced positions. 

He just doesn't seem to gel in that pocket next to almiron, tripps and schar. He is what we have though until Bruno is back at least. Maybe put him wide and almiron central. He is at his best a bit more advanced though. Really doesn't seem to suit playing from deep and can't break away too much when Schar is pinging balls over him. Wouldn't move Joey from where he is either but maybe that's an option.

We know there is a player there but it's not one that fits in our team very well right now.

It's not working for him, and he's getting a lot of stick for obvious deficiencies. But he's obviously playing a vital role in how we are playing. 

He benefitted from Bruce's 'let's play' philosophy by constantly getting into the box. It seems obvious Howe has given him particular instructions that affect his ability to do that.

My hope is that Howe has used these early games to present him a challenge. Whether he has risen to that challenge probably won't be answered for some time.

Realistically, his skill set is best suited on making runs into the box and general runs in the final third. He has the attributes more fitting of a forward role. He doesn’t have the technical ability / physicality to play in the middle. I hope we can figure it out as he’s definitely got great aspects to his game but he’s stalled rather than pushed on and mentally he seems like he doesn’t have the fire on the pitch or belief at times 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Realistically, his skill set is best suited on making runs into the box and general runs in the final third. He has the attributes more fitting of a forward role. He doesn’t have the technical ability / physicality to play in the middle. I hope we can figure it out as he’s definitely got great aspects to his game but he’s stalled rather than pushed on and mentally he seems like he doesn’t have the fire on the pitch or belief at times 

Noticed a certain nervousness in some of his interviews, he seems to settle, but I think he's a lot younger than his age. Hopefully he can benefit from Isak's presence.

Really want him to succeed here.

8 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

He plays off the striker that’s his position. Howe doesn’t play that way so we are trying to accommodate him in a different position which doesn’t work. Unless we change our system I think he’ll go back down south next season.

I was quite encouraged by his getting into the box today, actually. When I first switched on he was in there, on the right hand side, exactly were I want to see him.

I do agree though, he's not [yet] the player Howe wants in that position. Just weird to think he's started every game. I think a break from first team duties, to reflect on his recent experience, will do him good.

Basically, drop him, but be nice.

Only just turned 23 too. 

We have been playing 

Big Joe                Willock

Longstaff 

Haven't we? When 

Willock

Big Joe         Longstaff 

Probably works better for him but maybe not the team.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Only just turned 23 too. 

We have been playing 

Big Joe                Willock

Longstaff 

Haven't we? When 

Willock

Big Joe         Longstaff 

Probably works better for him but maybe not the team.

Yeah. I think so. Also the lack of Bruno has so much impact on our overall position on the pitch which probably affects his decision making. Similar with missing ASM and Wilson.

Like i said in the Jacob Murphy thread, he's young. He's enjoyed success in a particular role, but he's being asked to perform a different one, missing 2 out of the 3 attackers he would normally be playing with.

He was poor yesterday but he's been alright this season. He undoubtedly needs to add more output to his game (as does Joelinton), overall though, his contribution has been fine.

Some of the reactions have been over the top, but ideally he'll be replaced in due course. You could even stick Bruno as an eight and have Longstaff shielding the defence.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone consider playing him on the right of the front three? His best form for us l, came when he played in a more advanced position under bacon lips. He can't be any worse than Almiron and at least he is right footed.

Edited by Klaus

I feel Willock is the sort of player that needs to be dropped once in a while to recharge his hunger and motivation. Try to manage that. Look how Son took it today.

To be fair, Willock found his form again last season after a few games being left out. Whether now is the time to drop him? Probably not on today's showing but for the past few games, then maybe yes. He is a good player no doubt but can also slow things down when he is not on-song.

Edited by nufcjb

4 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Not sure he's the smartest lad. Seems to lack a football brain at times. He's an athlete but not sure he's a great footballer. File under Miggy.

I thought he played quite clever stuff tbh, few dummies, some nice little through passes to the put Miggy into the channels, but his shooting was terrible. I think he pisses people off because he's doesn't challenge for 50/50 balls with full conviction. Ultimately the same problem as the other forwards, not doing enough to impact games despite running around non-stop.