Newcastle United 3-2 Southampton - 06/02/2021

BlueStar

Was an unreal free kick to be fair. I said goal to the Mrs. as soon as we made the foul.

Really pisses me off how many unnecessary free kicks we give around the box. It's every single game and it just invites pressure, especially when you have set piece experts on the other team.

Almiron was so good today. He has been for a few games now, no player sums up Bruce's lack of brains than the way he's played Miggy. When you think under Rafa (and by all accounts his career before he moved here) all of his good work had come from the left or centre of the pitch, he's spent a disgusting amount of time playing on the right or even ludicrously as a second striker when idiot boy took charge. This system is ideal for him to be a nuisance but also keep us moving in the final third. Having ASM to pass to will obviously help, he looked back to near his best first half today. He's borderline unplayable when he gets going and having willing runners like Almiron and Willock will help him.

It is nice actually looking forward to seeing us try and play football. I think we'd all agree that with the players we've got, all we've wanted is the team to be let off the leash a bit without being an absolute state at the back. Jones has managed to do that in a couple of weeks, imagine what a really good manager could do with a whole pre-season?

On the negative side, Hendrick remains a waste of skin and surely will be the one to drop out for Willock when everybody is back. I didn't think Shelvey was as bad today but he didn't have to cross halfway in the second half so he probably wasn't as knackered as usual. Matty Longstaff in particular must feel hard done by to be nowhere near the team, I didn't think he did that much wrong when he got back in the side. Sean has been very poor for a while now but Matty surely must be worth a space on the bench.

Special mention to Dummett who came on having barely played for a year and found himself in the perfect position several times. He's a better centre back than a left back for me but I imagine that'll be put to the test over the next few weeks as we're rapidly running out.

So glad we won this. Felt sick for the last twenty minutes watching, just happy to be somewhat invested. When it looked like it was only Bruce in the dugout I begrudgingly wanted us to lose if only to provoke some action from above. It can't be a coincidence that we're better since Jones has come in.

Was an unreal free kick to be fair. I said goal to the Mrs. as soon as we made the foul.

Really pisses me off how many unnecessary free kicks we give around the box. It's every single game and it just invites pressure, especially when you have set piece experts on the other team.

Said in game that players were bound to have been told not to give away FKs around box, or in areas wide. Just comes down to some of our players being brain-dead, and there being no leadership out there to keep it drummed in not to foul.

However incompetent the Steve Gang are, it would have been highlighted in pre-match JWP is a goal threat from set pieces, and his delivery as well is a set piece threat. He scored two directly at Villa, and set up a third. We got away with one from the edge on the left when he played low across instead of whipping in at Darlow or crossing it.

I've played low standard non-league stuff and that stuff is made clear to you before going out not to foul because X is good from a dead ball, or when you do foul teammates are down your throat sending a message throughout the team reminding you all. 

watching the likes of wilson, miggy, ASM, schar etc playing decent football again is a bit of a joy in this shitty covid lockdown.

i feel now I can put aside my hatred of bruce and ashley for 6 months (or 18) and want us to win every match. a couple of weeks ago i wanted us to lose as many as possible as long as we stayed up on goal difference.

this is what alcohol, a couple of wins and miggy's smile can do for a middle aged bloke!

watching the likes of wilson, miggy, ASM, schar etc playing decent football again is a bit of a joy in this shitty covid lockdown.

i feel now I can put aside my hatred of bruce and ashley for 6 months (or 18) and want us to win every match. a couple of weeks ago i wanted us to lose as many as possible as long as we stayed up on goal difference.

this is what alcohol, a couple of wins and miggy's smile can do for a middle aged bloke!

That second half against Leeds when we suddenly burst into life was like that scene in Pulp Fiction for me - suddenly watching us attack, get bodies forward and be exciting for first time since Bournemouth away (or Morecambe) was like a shot of adrenaline.

Everton away was genuinely a great result, and enjoyable match to watch that that I was actually invested in for first time in months. In comparison, Liverpool 0-0 was a great result, but didn't give a toss if we got stuffed by 6 or snuck a 1-0 win last minute. Sneaking that 1-1 in last second away at Spurs, couldn't give a toss - more furious of much VAR is ruining football.

Wilson, Schar, Almiron, ASM, Fraser even Manquillo of late have been rays of hope, Darlow has won us points alone this season - They deserve better than playing in a side that nose dives and is lucky to finish 17th.

I've given up hope thinking Bruce could get sacked, so he's just a caretaker manager for me now - until takeover, or whatever. It would take us going near undefeated until end of season to level him par in my book right now.

Would still love to see us tank and just about, and most importantly stay up just to see Snorlax squirm and mentally blow up; after all it's what Ashley/Charnley/Bruce deserve, and a long list of players don't deserve to be even picking up a win bonus.

Yeah, I'm of a similar mind to this. Preferred scenario is that we carry on winning (Jones inspired), takeover happens and Bruce is culled.

Pundit uproar that he's not given a chance, takes over at a mid-table team and relegates them/is sacked mid-season firmly planted in the bottom 3.

If ASM, Wilson, Almiron and Willock play regularly together rest of the season, we’ll be ok. Some great running there for the counter attack

Put Willock in CM for Hendrick, add Fraser to the front 4, Hayden alongside Willock when we have more CB options (can’t believe I’m saying this but I’d even put Paul fucking Dummett there until the other CBs are fit). Think that could be a decent forward 6 until the summer then either buy Willock and upgrade on Hayden or sign two new CMs.

If ASM, Wilson, Almiron and Willock play regularly together rest of the season, we’ll be ok. Some great running there for the counter attack

Put Willock in CM for Hendrick, add Fraser to the front 4, Hayden alongside Willock when we have more CB options (can’t believe I’m saying this but I’d even put Paul fucking Dummett there until the other CBs are fit). Think that could be a decent forward 6 until the summer then either buy Willock and upgrade on Hayden or sign two new CMs.

Yep true about Fraser- ASM, Almiron and Fraser behind Wilson. Hayden sitting in front of normal back four and Willock next to him. Hendrick and Shelvey are piss poor but I have that awful feeling Bruce will persist with them. Shelvey’s always been consistently inconsistent and increasingly shite in recent times. His deliveries are atrocious

Jones’ system isn’t going to work with all of Wilson, Almirón ASM and Fraser on the field though. Instead it would be nice to have an option from the bench for a change and be able to rotate so that we don’t get as many injuries.

Guest neesy111

Jones’ system isn’t going to work with all of Wilson, Almirón ASM and Fraser on the field though. Instead it would be nice to have an option from the bench for a change and be able to rotate so that we don’t get as many injuries.

This.

Good first half yesterday. Wilock will be a good improvement to our midfield.

Would like us to continue with the 4-3-3 formation but want Hendrick and Shelvey dropped.

A midfield 3 of Hayden, Shortstaff and Wilock.

A front 3 of Almiron, ASM and Wilson.

Problem right now is getting the defenders fit.

Clark will be back next game, so will probably be Krafth, Hayden, Clark and Lewis. But I would rather se Hayden in midfield. Dummett is an option there as well.

How far away is Fernandez and Lascelles?

Can we recall Kel Watts?

This.

ASM looks fragile mind, I’d use him every other game or the ones we look like having a chance in , maybe the wrong thing to do dunno?

Bit telling we have 3 key players out now with muscle injuries? Makes you wonder about the conditioning of these players by the coaching staff. Worry that saint maximin is gonna pull a hammy every time he plays.

Bit telling we have 3 key players out now with muscle injuries? Makes you wonder about the conditioning of these players by the coaching staff. Worry that saint maximin is gonna pull a hammy every time he plays.

Its been a problem ever since Bruce arrived here, it's not something new.

Its been a problem ever since Bruce arrived here, it's not something new.

Has been a problem for many, many years except for the time when Rafa was here. Whatever he did it worked and was something we should have learned by now. Must be a basic thing in football, how to keep players fit.

rafa occasionally got criticism from the stands for being overcautious with bringing players back into the team.

the resultant improvement in injuries and the massive improvements during the second half of seasons proved him to be right.

Jesus fucking Christ, True Faith just had to pick this game to have that utter cunt Luke Edwards on? Fucking hell, he's such a mad dove fucking bellend.

Him and Marc Corby hate each other like. Gan on Marc. Gutted that the row on the pod wasn't allowed to develop further.

Jesus fucking Christ, True Faith just had to pick this game to have that utter cunt Luke Edwards on? Fucking hell, he's such a mad dove fucking bellend.

Him and Marc Corby hate each other like. Gan on Marc. Gutted that the row on the pod wasn't allowed to develop further.

Was just about to write a post slagging off TF for having him on at all, but did they lay into him?

Was just about to write a post slagging off TF for having him on at all, but did they lay into him?

Marc Corby did but not necessarily about the football, more about the antagonising arguments they've had on Twitter and how much of a bell end Edwards has been to fans. (Marc is NUFC 1980-1994 on Twitter) The pod itself was more a civil discussion about Bruce, hardly laying into Edwards. TF anti-Bruce obviously but no real harsh scathing of him or Edwards.