Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

:anguish:

First comment has it right in all honesty. You can't have people in the team who aren't good enough, but Ginola does have a somewhat valid point when it comes to locals understanding the culture and history of our club and educating foreign players. I'd say we perhaps need more of a British spine rather than an exclusively geordie spine. That's too narrow-minded for any club to think that way. It was different in the 80's and 90's, because somehow so many good players were brought through locally and it was more the norm to regularly have local players coming through as the league was more dominated by homegrown players.

Do Sunderland have any Mackems playing? Its about getting the right characters in, regardless of where they're from

Lascelles is almost a perfect example of that. Correct DNA but he's 22 and has started 10 games for us, FFS.

Do Sunderland have any Mackems playing? Its about getting the right characters in, regardless of where they're from

Well yes, but I'm not saying we should necessarily have a geordie spine. The game today (in most clubs' cases), and more so our club can't do that anymore. There just aren't enough out there that would cut it. I'd easily settle for eleven foreign players if they were of the right character, but it seems that every successful team still has at least a British spine, bar Man City (though they do have Hart at least). They're almost at a point of needing to rebuild though so it should be interesting to see if they look to bring more in.

99 times out of 100 footballers become f***ing useless specimens the second they retire, like. They get nothing right, any of them.

Well that clarifies things! You're the real Ronaldo!! (teeth not hair)  ;)

We've got 2 Geordies in the team and another 3-4 Englishmen in the starting XI most weeks don't we?

Good ones?

The youth academy isnt exactly churning out the next Shearer or Gazza's.

We've got 2 Geordies in the team and another 3-4 Englishmen in the starting XI most weeks don't we?

Good ones?

The youth academy isnt exactly churning out the next Shearer or Gazza's.

That was my point.

Just had this freaky video posted on my fb page.

Typical mackems.

Not sure about typical - sunderland is a bit of a stagnant pool when it comes to cultural diversity. I'm guessing money changed hands and neither of these gentlemen know what the f*ck that means. IMO the ethics of directing some poor buggers for cash reward is only a couple of steps below noncing a schoolgirl in a car park - manipulating the innocent for your own fetid means.

So, 'arranged and filmed' by a typical mackem, I'll give you that.

Well yes, but I'm not saying we should necessarily have a geordie spine. The game today (in most clubs' cases), and more so our club can't do that anymore. There just aren't enough out there that would cut it. I'd easily settle for eleven foreign players if they were of the right character, but it seems that every successful team still has at least a British spine, bar Man City (though they do have Hart at least). They're almost at a point of needing to rebuild though so it should be interesting to see if they look to bring more in.

Ultimately it comes down to character regardless of nationality but I also think it is about educating and encouraging the players to engage with the football club and the local area regardless of whether they are English or foreign.  The have been sold the club as a stepping stone and see themselves as passing through.  Why should they care about the football club and their teammates if they don't think they will be around for very long?  Do any of them do anything other than go to the football ground, training ground, the airport and a few shops?  Any time off, and they are on a plane back home.  They live in a cocooned world and rarely engage with fans - the life of the modern footballer seems to be VIP lounges and personnel on tap to do the simplest of tasks for them.

Look at how often players like Albert, Dabizas, Solano and Tino come back to name a few.  All foreign lads?  A more recent example would be Jonas.  All bought into the club and the area and made friends here.  OK we were a relatively successful club most of the time but other foreign lads have been here when we were less successful and still retain an affection for the club.

How many of the current lot, once they leave, will come back to visit the city.  Very few, if any.