Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

I'm up from a 4 to a 6 after today, I was possibly the most positive of us prior to watching what went on today. The season for me hinges on Shelvey and Gayle playing as effective as they did last season, one of those two has already proven that he could be more of a hindrance than an asset, the other hasn't really been the same since his injury last season. Too early to judge whether Merino can take over from Shelvey, and of course we have zero alternatives to Gayle. Hayden and Ritchie too were very disappointing today, putting question marks in my mind on whether they can make the step up. There were positives in Atsu, Manquillo and Lejuene, along with Merino's little cameo of course but too many negative to take out of that.

How on earth can you judge Hayden and Ritiche after 1 game against a class Spurs side? Ritchie has already proven he is quality in the Premiership at Bournemouth.  Total knee-jerk nonsense to doubt them in this division today.

Reading comprehension ? Try it!

Ritchie played the bulk of his career in the lower leagues, he's had one full season in the PL, in a Newcastle shirt he still has to prove he's got the quality. People are all too quick to write Shelvey off as not being able to make the step up, yet he's played a hell of a lot more games in the top flight than Ritchie. Ritchie today did nothing and should have been sent off for what was a shocking tackle, I think had Shelvey not gone moments before he would have been shown the red card himself.

Ritchie is going to be one of our most important players this season. His drive is what we're going to need if we're in the bottom 6 come February. He got 4 goals and 6 assists with Bournmouth, he gets a similar return this season and its a respectable return. Football isn't just about ability, drive and determination is a large part of it, especially when you're at the bottom. If we'd had more players like him two years ago we wouldn't have got relegated. You can't judge a right winger after 90 minutes vs spurs, 40 of which were played with 10 men, when our game plan seemed obviously to be exploit their right back through atsu. Only thing he did wrong was not making a run into the box when atsu put it across. That would have made it 1-0.

FYI: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,98837.msg6453923.html#msg6453923

So to recap:

Thursday - Pundits are judging our players unfairly, these players have improved immensely under Rafa. Firmly believes we'll get beat, as Spurs are a class above us.

Sunday - Judges Hayden and Ritchie after one match, they have it all to prove at this level. Panic stations about losing 2-0.

:laugh2:

Why are you quoting Louistoon, it's not his fault I'm a total spanner :) I was wrong and the pundits were right, at the minute, seriously dude don't take my words in any other form than concerned right now, I've been a little shocked in that performance that we are so far away from where I thought we were. That's all, I thought we would be comfortably safe this season and the pundits and those whinging on here were just over blowing things, now I've moved to a 6 so I'm more concerned that perhaps they were right and I was wrong. That's it, bi polar for sure but that's it, you can dispense with the stalking now :)

Mate, we've just played one of.the best teams.in the league while suffering two injuries and a sending off, no idea what you were expecting.

The team worked their bullocks off and while it might not have been great at times there were lots of positives. This game will not define our season.

Go crack.open a can and relax.

I'm up from a 4 to a 6 after today, I was possibly the most positive of us prior to watching what went on today. The season for me hinges on Shelvey and Gayle playing as effective as they did last season, one of those two has already proven that he could be more of a hindrance than an asset, the other hasn't really been the same since his injury last season. Too early to judge whether Merino can take over from Shelvey, and of course we have zero alternatives to Gayle. Hayden and Ritchie too were very disappointing today, putting question marks in my mind on whether they can make the step up. There were positives in Atsu, Manquillo and Lejuene, along with Merino's little cameo of course but too many negative to take out of that.

How on earth can you judge Hayden and Ritiche after 1 game against a class Spurs side? Ritchie has already proven he is quality in the Premiership at Bournemouth.  Total knee-jerk nonsense to doubt them in this division today.

Reading comprehension ? Try it!

Ritchie played the bulk of his career in the lower leagues, he's had one full season in the PL, in a Newcastle shirt he still has to prove he's got the quality. People are all too quick to write Shelvey off as not being able to make the step up, yet he's played a hell of a lot more games in the top flight than Ritchie. Ritchie today did nothing and should have been sent off for what was a shocking tackle, I think had Shelvey not gone moments before he would have been shown the red card himself.

Ritchie is going to be one of our most important players this season. His drive is what we're going to need if we're in the bottom 6 come February. He got 4 goals and 6 assists with Bournmouth, he gets a similar return this season and its a respectable return. Football isn't just about ability, drive and determination is a large part of it, especially when you're at the bottom. If we'd had more players like him two years ago we wouldn't have got relegated. You can't judge a right winger after 90 minutes vs spurs, 40 of which were played with 10 men, when our game plan seemed obviously to be exploit their right back through atsu. Only thing he did wrong was not making a run into the box when atsu put it across. That would have made it 1-0.

FYI: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,98837.msg6453923.html#msg6453923

So to recap:

Thursday - Pundits are judging our players unfairly, these players have improved immensely under Rafa. Firmly believes we'll get beat, as Spurs are a class above us.

Sunday - Judges Hayden and Ritchie after one match, they have it all to prove at this level. Panic stations about losing 2-0.

:laugh2:

Why are you quoting Louistoon, it's not his fault I'm a total spanner :) I was wrong and the pundits were right, at the minute, seriously dude don't take my words in any other form than concerned right now, I've been a little shocked in that performance that we are so far away from where I thought we were. That's all, I thought we would be comfortably safe this season and the pundits and those whinging on here were just over blowing things, now I've moved to a 6 so I'm more concerned that perhaps they were right and I was wrong. That's it, bi polar for sure but that's it, you can dispense with the stalking now :)

Mate, we've just played one of.the best teams.in the league while suffering two injuries and a sending off, no idea what you were expecting.

The team worked their bullocks off and while it might not have been great at times there were lots of positives. This game will not define our season.

Go crack.open a can and relax.

This is absolutely true and you absolutely need to take into account the quality of the opposition however like I keep saying, they didn't play anywhere near as well as they could, they were strolling through the match and if we are having to "work our bollocks off" as you point out just to hopefully hang on to a 0:0 that's not a great sign. This was our first game back in the PL, it was a special occasion we should have been up for it but whether it was nerves of whatever the players didn't perform. Gotta hope as the opposition gets a little easier we will get a lot better but we are going to need to improve a lot on that if we want to stay out of a relegation fight.

Hayden was canny till he had to run Central midfield himself against on of the best midfields in the league.

Really ? The game passed him by.

Hayden was my man of the match like, was all over the pitch while being very solid at the back, he marked Eriksen out the game.

Hayden was canny till he had to run Central midfield himself against on of the best midfields in the league.

Hayden was my man of the match like, was all over the pitch while being very solid at the back, he marked Eriksen out the game.

He played well and made decent tackles. But he didn't mark Erikson out of the game ffs. He got both assists :lol:

He played well and made decent tackles. But he didn't mark Erikson out of the game ffs. He got both assists :lol:

I should have said before the red, after that he was the only CM and and facing multiple attackers. Even then he did alright.

We already look in deep trouble. We offer absolutely nothing going forward, no idea when a win can come or how it could.

Might be seen as an overreaction but if you can't beat Huddersfield, you're in danger.