Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Guest reefatoon

Watch this get back on track, only for Mauriss to pip them at the post. The fume towards him would be gargantuan. The poor mysterious cunt would be on a hiding to nothing.

Apparently Boris Johnson is backing it now as well  :lol:  The PM stated, in an email our of our members that .."agree with their conclusion that the Premier League should make a statement on this case. I am pleased that the Ombudsman has committed to advising the Premier League to provide a statement."

From that full statement it looked like he was sitting on the fence tbh and supporting both sides.

Agree. I think too many folks are jumping on the 'now we've got Boris on side' rhetoric when his response indicates nothing of the sort imho.

I mean, yeah, great for the profile of our case etc, sure but actual support? Nope.

Watch this get back on track, only for Mauriss to pip them at the post. The fume towards him would be gargantuan. The poor mysterious cunt would be on a hiding to nothing.

:lol: So true and typical of our luck.

Could fall in a barrel of tits and come up sucking our thumbs.

Trying not to be negative, but until PIF, Reuben Brothers or Amanda Staveley make a new and up-to-date statement confirming that the bid is definitely still with the Premier League awaiting a decision, imho, it's withdrawn/dormant and the PL don't need to make a decision.  I hope I'm wrong.

Apparently Boris Johnson is backing it now as well  :lol:  The PM stated, in an email our of our members that .."agree with their conclusion that the Premier League should make a statement on this case. I am pleased that the Ombudsman has committed to advising the Premier League to provide a statement."

From that full statement it looked like he was sitting on the fence tbh and supporting both sides.

probably can't say much more publicly in case of being accused of government interference in football which brings down fifa like a ton of bricks

probably can't say much more publicly in case of being accused of government interference in football which brings down fifa like a ton of bricks

The KSA relationship is gonna be huge in a post-Brexit world for BJ. I'm amazed he hasn't had it forced through to be quite honest.

He did say they should release a statement. I mean coming from the PM that is alot more than I was expecting from this. It does seem to be gathering momentum so nothing bad can come out of it. At worst at least we may get some insight to the reason for it being dragged on without a decision made. I think it's telling that the FA have not come out with a statement yet, hopefully it has rattled them ?

True but I would have thought if the takeover going through was so important to him he would have stepped in by now and told the PL they need to approve.

True but I would have thought if the takeover going through was so important to him he would have stepped in by now and told the PL they need to approve.

with what leverage though? He could try and put a bit of pressure behind the scenes or whatever but he can't order them to do it

Interesting...

So the EFL will make a public announcement on Twitter about their takeover failures, yet the PL won't comment at all, or approve it, or reject it.

on the one hand thats good on the other the EFL did literally pass through the Wigan takeover in may which ended with them in admin and -12 points in june/july so they're not exactly competent

Sure if any statement is eventually released it will be watertight, weasely and not say a lot

I would like to think that that won't be allowed to wash and the pressure will continue for proper answers.

At worst it keeps the pressure and spotlight on PL.

Might be enough to make Masters take note, as stuff like this tends to be remembered when the old boy network circles around and he needs a new job in some bank or financial institute.

Agree. I think too many folks are jumping on the 'now we've got Boris on side' rhetoric when his response indicates nothing of the sort imho.

I mean, yeah, great for the profile of our case etc, sure but actual support? Nope.

The petition and emails are about getting answers and transparency. He said that should happen. Not sure what else was expected

O&D test should only concern the individual club. In short can they fund it and provide a plan that safeguards the club.

What EPL are doing in reality is protecting its other 19 members.

The issue is with football you have promotion and relegation so in my eyes what they are doing isn’t fair as it’s not in the interests of NUFC right now as we are in their division.

The fact we could go down and it would sail through then we get promoted and promotion can’t be blocked (as far as I’m aware) makes a mockery of it all.

O&D test should only concern the individual club. In short can they fund it and provide a plan that safeguards the club.

The issue is with football you have promotion and relegation so in my eyes what they are doing isn’t fair as it’s not in the interests of NUFC right now as we are in their division.

The fact we could go down and it would sail through then we get promoted and promotion can’t be blocked (as far as I’m aware) makes a mockery of it all.

Nails it. The PL don't appear to have applied the test in the spirit in which it was drawn up at all.

Nails it. The PL don't appear to have applied the test in the spirit in which it was drawn up at all.

And is this why they won’t reject it because they would lose the appeal. Even if this pressure makes them make a decision and reject it, that maybe is what the consortium are after.

with what leverage though? He could try and put a bit of pressure behind the scenes or whatever but he can't order them to do it

The only leverage the PL recognises- revenue streams. For example the Government is in charge of when spectators are allowed back into stadiums and to what extent and the PL will be keen to get as many back in as soon as possible and won't want to piss them off.

For clarification I'm not saying that's what the PM will, could or should do but that's an example just off the top of my head of the leverage the Government can have over the EPL without ordering them to do something.

Of course they haven't. They've seen that a Newcastle challenging will drop their income from one of the 'big' clubs for a few years until NUFC generates as much for them as the top 6 which obviously won't happen immediately, and they are terrified of having that hole in their finances.

TO be clear, say it went through, and we got in to Europa/Champions league next year, we're still not as much of a draw as the usual suspects, and that impacts them. A few years of sustained challenging would be needed to plug the gap

And is this why they won’t reject it because they would lose the appeal. Even if this pressure makes them make a decision and reject it, that maybe is what the consortium are after.

As far as I can see that's what the consortium's gameplan is now. Kick up enough of a fuss that the PL has to make a decision one way or the other. If it's s no- which it likely will be without any further concessions- then they have an appealable decision they can take to CAS

This issue that the PL has of MBS being chairman of PIF is rubbish.  I mean Prince Charles is commander in chief of the armed forces but he doesn't exactly lead them into battle does he.  This is really about the other member clubs objecting to the takeover and nothing else and not making a decision is the only way they can cover that up.  A rejection would be appealable and as they say "the truth will out"!!!