Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Cheesy Beans

Her statement is f***ing s**** :lol:

Is there more being said about it in the meetings or whatever?

Nah not really. I was expecting her to thank the fans and at least tell us to keep trying to put the pressure on, but instead it was just more like 'Thanks we're humbled'.

Right. A "don't give up, we won't" isn't too much to ask surely :lol:

Has she not already said that?

She’d also be battered in 6 weeks if the sale still hasn’t gone through after repeating it over and over again that they won’t give up.

Maybe it’s good enough that she’s acknowledged the response of the fans, when she didn’t have to say anything at all.

I thought the o&d test was there to protect the club(Newcastle). A refusal would have been better then what we have now. We already had a unambitious leach owner. Now that he no longer wants to be here i fear he will be even worse.. I doubt he will allow much spending this window, with the ownership in limbo. So the PL has really put us in a bad situation 'for our own good'.

Nah not really. I was expecting her to thank the fans and at least tell us to keep trying to put the pressure on, but instead it was just more like 'Thanks we're humbled'.

She’d also be battered in 6 weeks if the sale still hasn’t gone through after repeating it over and over again that they won’t give up.

Maybe it’s good enough that she’s acknowledged the response of the fans, when she didn’t have to say anything at all.

I mean she made a call to arms which was taken up impressively by the fans, just think a tiny of tiniest nods to suggest things aren't totally dead could be managed. Could have been anything man, vague as hell, just something. Hopefully there's a specific reason she hasn't done so in the positive sense.

Guest Cheesy Beans

I mean she made a call to arms which was taken up impressively by the fans, just think a tiny of tiniest nods to suggest things aren't totally dead could be managed. Could have been anything man, vague as hell, just something. Hopefully there's a specific reason she hasn't done so in the positive sense.

Yeah, I get that - we’re all edgy and the slightest thing could tip us over the edge.

The last sentence of your post is spot on though, and more than likely the reason why.

Received a reply from Nick Brown:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent proposed takeover of Newcastle United. I understand your frustration and share your concerns that the process was drawn out for so long.  

As I know you are aware, the Saudi Arabian-backed consortium said it has ended its bid to buy Newcastle United. The group included Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund PIF, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers. In April It agreed a £300m deal to buy the club from Mike Ashley. The deal was still being scrutinised under the Premier League's owners' and directors' test. They were seeking clarification of the links between PIF and the Saudi Arabian Government. The Premier League wanted to know who would have control, where funding would come from, and who would appoint the board. 

As the Member of Parliament for Newcastle Central, and therefore St James’ Park, my colleague, Chi Onwurah MP, has taken the lead on this issue. She has my support. She has written to Richard Masters, Chief Executive of the Premier League. In her letter she has asked a number of questions and called for the Premier League to be more transparent with fans. I have included a link to the letter here for your information https://chionwurahmp.com/2020/07/newcastle-united-football-club-failed-take-over/. I await the response of the Premier League.  

I support the questions Chi has asked and agree with the Newcastle United Supports Trust that the fans deserve answers. I believe that the Premier League should have engaged with fans throughout the process and would like to see the Premier League be more transparent.   

More generally, I support the case for an independent review of all aspects football governance.  

Thank you for contacting me about this important issue.  

With best wishes,

Nick

Rt Hon Nick Brown MP

Why on earth would she say anything else than she has said?

Leaving us in the dark, fuming and despereate is the kind of pressure they would want continuing if they are playing the game we are led to believe.

For them to take any obvious futher action out in the open would probably kill a lot of momentum coming from the fans.

Why on earth would she say anything else than she has said?

Leaving us in the dark, fuming and despereate is the kind of pressure they would want continuing if they are playing the game we are led to believe.

For them to take any obvious futher action out in the open would probably kill a lot of momentum coming from the fans.

:thup:

Had become disillusioned with our fanbase but they way the majority have clubbed together to at least fight for answers has been class. Might lead to nothing still but it feels like the fanbase of old.

Agree mate. I'm sick of it all but this is one thing I can appreciate :thup:

Aye I don’t like them, but similarly I’m sick of not enjoying football anymore, life’s been shite in general the last 5 months for obvious reasons, supporting a Newcastle team that might be able to compete again is a glimmer that’s kept a lot of people going. Probably makes me a horrible human being but I can live with myself.

I wish it was anyone else but saudi arabia in many ways (albeit also cos we'd have passed by now lol) but quite frankly teh bar for morality of owning football clubs basically does not exist so why should we be singled out? (and I think its clear we havent failed on morality, it's piracy from a premier league customer more specifically, piracy is a considerably less bothersome lack of morality than treatment of gays like me and hacking up people in embassies) I also feel denying the joy and investment in teh area would be ultimately totally self defeating. While I have questioned this considering how many seemed to declare undying love for MBS I also kinda think sport washing really doesnt actually work that well, that if anything raising the profile just raises the profile of the criticisms too, so happy to reap any benefits of pouring loads of money into our club. Better spent on that than bombing yemen.

This may be trite, and as someone who considers himself on the left bother some who think it is absolutely wrong. But honestly money jobs in the area? I just couldn't in my right mind say but it is wrong to that boost.

However that does not mean I will ignore their human rights abuses and feel a little sad about that.

Unfortunately I also am in the basically given up all hope camp. :(

Your posts Tiresias[/member] have been the better dissenting/devils advocate voices in this as I’m much the same way. Tolerate a disaster capitalist or embrace a tyrant. Who is less shit on human rights? Doesn’t matter because you’ll get fuck all sat anyhow. That’s modern football for you.

As Pete said on the Football Ramble recently (in making an admittedly anti-Saudi takeover point) "modern life makes hypocrites of us all". I just want to enjoy football again and see a Newcastle team actually try to compete. Does that mean I think SA are the best country in the world and whiter than white? Not at all. I'll continue to find certain actions they take absolutely deplorable. But I'm willing to be a hypocrite on this and want my team to do well, even if it means they're owned in part by a state with some pretty big skeletons in the closet. All I can really do to reconcile that is hope that the added exposure pulls SA closer towards "western values" (for whatever that is worth nowadays). I do worry that it might just allow them to sports-wash their image away with a few trophies for a resurgent Newcastle, but that's the point where I'm a hypocrite I suppose.

Not really sure what point I'm trying to make here like :lol: Just sounding it out in my own head I guess