Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

How do we know they would have found MBS an unfit or unproper person? That’s a rather massive political call.

Would they have had to inform PIF that this may have been the case?, which is why then they pulled out?

On the surface it looks like the PL just didn’t follow their own procedures

I agree and I would have loved the PL to have been put in this position, it might have had some political consequences if they did find him not fit and proper.

Who’s to say the reason it’s now gone quiet though is that all members of PIF including the chairman are now undergoing the o & d. If it is all hush hush who would ever know if he has failed or not, after all it is meant to be a confidential process. In this scenario yes MBS would be p*ssed off he failed, but there would be no public embarrassment now.

After all who knows whether Sheik Mansour was ever subjected to test.

MBS will never take the test. Within his country he is beyond reproach. In their eyes just being tested by a piddling organisation such as the PL would be a national embarrassment and a sign of real weakness and impotence.

Bad things would befall PIF even if they entertained the idea of MBS taking the test so they will walk away rather than asking.

Liam Kennedy and Miles Starforth’s latest take, most journalists seem to agree on one thing Ashley wants out.

All quiet on the takeover front, is that a good or a bad thing?

LK: “Quiet makes a real change, doesn’t it? If it was dead, we’d know. People must take comfort from that. But things are going on in the background, and on the ‘hush, hush’, which really is no bad thing. This is how it should have been from the start. Will these behind-closed-doors talks be enough? I can’t say. Good things come to the those who wait. Ashley wants out and he will be gone whether it is in weeks or months – we’re in the Ashley endgame, I’m sure of that.”

MS: “Everything has gone very quiet, and if there was no chance of the takeover being resurrected, I think we’d know by now. So the complete silence from the buying side – and owner Mike Ashley – can be taken as a sign that there’s still a chance of a positive resolution to this long-running saga. United’s fans have done their bit by voicing their support for the would-be buyers – and pressuring the Premier League – and now they must wait.”

Totally agree with the 'Ashley want out' line. That is some small thread of hope to hang on to.

However, the 'all's quiet' being a good thing is just wishful thinking.

There's always one who wants to be the person that lets everyone else know they are ITK. There's no way a deal to buy to NUFC goes through without someone somewhere, blabbing. The gossip would be just too juicy for someone to resist.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Liam Kennedy and Miles Starforth’s latest take, most journalists seem to agree on one thing Ashley wants out.

LK: “Quiet makes a real change, doesn’t it? If it was dead, we’d know. People must take comfort from that. But things are going on in the background, and on the ‘hush, hush’, which really is no bad thing. This is how it should have been from the start. Will these behind-closed-doors talks be enough? I can’t say. Good things come to the those who wait. Ashley wants out and he will be gone whether it is in weeks or months – we’re in the Ashley endgame, I’m sure of that.”

MS: “Everything has gone very quiet, and if there was no chance of the takeover being resurrected, I think we’d know by now. So the complete silence from the buying side – and owner Mike Ashley – can be taken as a sign that there’s still a chance of a positive resolution to this long-running saga. United’s fans have done their bit by voicing their support for the would-be buyers – and pressuring the Premier League – and now they must wait.”

Totally agree with the 'Ashley want out' line. That is some small thread of hope to hang on to.

There's always one who wants to be the person that lets everyone else know they are ITK. There's no way a deal to buy to NUFC goes through without someone somewhere, blabbing. The gossip would be just too juicy for someone to resist.

The deal got all the way to the PL without anyone blabbing about it, tbf.

I disagree with this. No party has come out of this looking good with it being played out in public and so I can totally envisage a scenario where all parties agree to a total blackout of information.

More telling though is the notable silence from Stavely who has never been shy about engaging the media and clarifying her version of events but for me the most telling silence is from BeIN/Keys, who have not only said nothing, but have also been actively deleted things that were said in the past which hint at leaks. If this takeoever were truly dead, Qatar would be shouting about it from the rooftops.

The deal got all the way to the PL without anyone blabbing about it, tbf.

Didn't the Wall Street journal write a story before it reached the PL? Then of course, eagle eyed fans spotted Companies House changes.

I would agree that a lot of the deal was done without anyone's knowledge but given what's happened over the last few months, the profile of the sale of NUFC is high so I just can't envisage a world where everyone keeps their mouths shut. If Saudi Arabia aren't involved, then maybe, but if the PIF are still around, no chance is it kept a secret. If anyone, the PL will whisper something to the tabloid hacks.

Don't get me wrong, I hope i'm wrong but in this world of Twitter, I just can't see a wall of silence.

I disagree with this. No party has come out of this looking good with it being played out in public and so I can totally envisage a scenario where all parties agree to a total blackout of information.

More telling though is the notable silence from Stavely who has never been shy about engaging the media and clarifying her version of events but for me the most telling silence is from BeIN/Keys, who have not only said nothing, but have also been actively deleted things that were said in the past which hint at leaks. If this takeoever were truly dead, Qatar would be shouting about it from the rooftops.

Absolutely agree that no one has come out of this looking good. I hope that if Staveley is going to come back again at some point, she learns the lesson not to use Caulkin as an outlet.

Ashley never says anything anyway so he's probably good for silence.

I think I just don't trust the PL to not leak something.

Ashley wants out as much as he ever has. If the price is right.

Fantastic. Now we just need to find a serious buyer who will pay Mike £330m in this age of the pandemic that isn't backed by an arab country. Abu Dhabi excepted of course, they are bringing Messi to Manchester and have revitalised the city to their credit.

That’s all great if the PL applied these rules consistently every season which I believe is in their power to do. I don’t disagree that MBS would have the power to exert influence, but as you correctly state that would apply to any person of wealth in Saudi Arabia, which in this instance would surely include the owner of Sheffield United. Also Sheik Mansour could fall into this category, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to state that Khalifa Bin Zayed as the ruler of Abhu Dhabi would be able to exert influence over Man City or that the Chinese National Party would be able exert influence over Fosun at Wolves.

Yes none of the above are accused of piracy, however the PL insist that at this stage that hasn’t even been considered.

I ultimately believe if it wasn’t for the piracy, the PL would have been more than happy to accept PIF as a separate entity.

You're absolutely right that this case has shown how poorly and inconsistently the PL has undertaken diligence to ensure owners of clubs are considered suitable in the best interests of the competition. There will be pressure to ensure issues like human rights abuses are explicitly taken into account which will surely cause issues when next season's refresh is undertaken.

And while we're guessing, I think you're also right that if it weren't for PIF being so closely connected to the PL's enemy No1 then they may have been less rigourous.

Fantastic. Now we just need to find a serious buyer who will pay Mike £330m in this age of the pandemic that isn't backed by an arab country. Abu Dhabi excepted of course, they are bringing Messi to Manchester and have revitalised the city to their credit.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message.

Nah, to be honest the price he desires could change. He's been known to slash 90% off dunlop Green Flash, when he's desperate to get rid.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message.

Nah, to be honest the price he desires could change. He's been known to slash 90% off dunlop Green Flash, when he's desperate to get rid.

Well maybe, but consider me ungracious, but the type of buyer who needs him to slash the price of NUFC so they can afford to take a punt, I am not going to get too enthusiastic about anyway.

I don’t think that’s as unrealistic as some assume. Roma just got sold, and it looks like Tottenham might be in the process of being sold.

In fact, disaster capitalism says this is a good time to buy - and Ashley has shown himself as a believer, given his purchases of failing retail franchises...

Absolutely agree that no one has come out of this looking good. I hope that if Staveley is going to come back again at some point, she learns the lesson not to use Caulkin as an outlet.

Ashley never says anything anyway so he's probably good for silence.

I think I just don't trust the PL to not leak something.

Yep, I think the silence suits Ashley because it's  a distraction from the shambles we're in at this moment. Barely a whimper about our business and situation so far.

Agree with the second point too, which is why it's very strange we've not heard anything via Qatar...

Guest Cheesy Beans

Just curious but is anyone else having trouble with the transfer thread not loading ?

You’re not missing much.

Guest reefatoon

Just curious but is anyone else having trouble with the transfer thread not loading ?

You’re not missing much.

Good to know  :lol:

I’m having the same trouble with the “on this day” thread.

I don’t think that’s as unrealistic as some assume. Roma just got sold, and it looks like Tottenham might be in the process of being sold.

In fact, disaster capitalism says this is a good time to buy - and Ashley has shown himself as a believer, given his purchases of failing retail franchises...

Roma are based in one of Italy's most prestigious cities, and Spurs are one of the Premier League's favoured top 6 clubs. They will certainly attract competent and wealthy new owners. I don't mean to be cynical, but we've been for sale for 15 years, and the only decent bids we have had were allegedly the Abu Dhabi backed lot that bought City, and the current PIF bid.

Doesn't that mean it's a bad time to sell?

The only realistic option, as I see it, is the same as it ever was. Somebody gets the club, on the cheap, in return for Ashley maintaining a tight grip on the profitable aspects, and the brand association.

If you hear GC on the Athletic podcast it seems like there will be some sort of government involvement in this. He said it is important there is no leakage like last time.

What exactly did GC say, because the way you've worded your post suggests he's already leaked that there's something going on.