Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

If you hear GC on the Athletic podcast it seems like there will be some sort of government involvement in this. He said it is important there is no leakage like last time.

What exactly did GC say, because the way you've worded your post suggests he's already leaked that there's something going on.

Caulkin has said this week, since pulling out all parties reaffirmed their commitment to deal, however the next we should hear is whether deal is off or completed. So whether you believe the deal is likely or not, what is pretty clear is that they are still looking at ways to make this happen.

I don’t think we’ll be receiving any running commentary this time, as if Saudis are still involved they won’t want to lose any face if this falls flat again. I would guess PCP are exploring the options open and if there’s a possible route to approval with discreet nods and winks given, the Saudis will come back on board.

Caulkin has said this week, since pulling out all parties reaffirmed their commitment to deal, however the next we should hear is whether deal is off or completed.

:thup:

This is certainly an interesting comment.

I hope we do hear though. Fans deserve closure.

If you hear GC on the Athletic podcast it seems like there will be some sort of government involvement in this. He said it is important there is no leakage like last time.

What exactly did GC say, because the way you've worded your post suggests he's already leaked that there's something going on.

Caulkin has said this week, since pulling out all parties reaffirmed their commitment to deal, however the next we should hear is whether deal is off or completed. So whether you believe the deal is likely or not, what is pretty clear is that they are still looking at ways to make this happen.

I don’t think we’ll be receiving any running commentary this time, as if Saudis are still involved they won’t want to lose any face if this falls flat again. I would guess PCP are exploring the options open and if there’s a possible route to approval with discreet nods and winks given, the Saudis will come back on board.

What has he had to say about his source telling him "no red flags", "done in the next few days", and other things that utterly failed to happen?

What has he had to say about his source telling him "no red flags", "done in the next few days", and other things that utterly failed to happen?

Quelle suprise.

Why don’t you ask him? 

I’m pretty much convinced that the takeover is still being worked on like, and have been quietly confident since PIF pulled out and the subsequent statements / leaks from all involved. I believe it was a power play / a good way to reduce the scrutiny surrounding the deal. As far as I’m aware there is no need for any formal acknowledgment that a deal is back on / the owners test has resumed, therefore the parties can get on with getting the deal through without BEIN, Amnesty and co even realising that it is back on. Remember, we only found out that the owners test had started because of some leaks at companies house. They won’t happen if a deal is resurrected, therefore we’ll not find out if and when the tests resume.

Basically, “let’s tell everyone it’s off so we stop getting letters / scrutiny from all angles, and let’s push it through quietly”. That’s what I’m choosing to believe is happening at the moment. They’re working to get it done as quietly as possible with zero leaks.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Like GC and the other journalists have said, if it was completely dead, Stavely and co would have drawn a line under it publicly. I don’t think they would leave us hanging without closure.

Hi Sean, he's written about it in this (and a subsequent article) on the 30th July:

https://theathletic.com/1963663/2020/07/30/newcastle-united-takeover-withdraw-staveley-ashley-pif-premier-league/

I'm sure you've read it in your detailed and unbiased quest for the truth, but to summarise, multiple sources from the consortium claimed:

"The Premier League gave them “private assurances” before the deal was signed and again in mid-April that “approval would be forthcoming soon” before the mood music changed in June"

Mr Masters then confirmed himself 2 weeks later that:

"In June, the Premier League board made a clear determination as to which entities it believed would have control over the club following the proposed acquisition, in accordance with the Premier League rules"

So only In June did they confirm which entities were to be included. Seems a long time after the tests started no?

Either way, since the PL don't refer to any private assurances before or at the beginning of the process, you'll have to decide yourself whether to believe those multiple sources.

Happy to help with your question  :)

Hi Sean, he's written about it in this (and a subsequent article) on the 30th July:

https://theathletic.com/1963663/2020/07/30/newcastle-united-takeover-withdraw-staveley-ashley-pif-premier-league/

I'm sure you've read it in your detailed and unbiased quest for the truth, but to summarise, multiple sources from the consortium claimed:

"The Premier League gave them “private assurances” before the deal was signed and again in mid-April that “approval would be forthcoming soon” before the mood music changed in June"

"In June, the Premier League board made a clear determination as to which entities it believed would have control over the club following the proposed acquisition, in accordance with the Premier League rules"

So only In June did they confirm which entities were to be included. Seems a long time after the tests started no?

Either way, since the PL don't refer to any private assurances before or at the beginning of the process, you'll have to decide yourself whether to believe those multiple sources.

The private assurances were given before the deal was signed?

That tells us all we need to know.

The private assurances were given before the deal was signed?

That tells us all we need to know.

Try telling that to the Staveley hating dumb fuck! What a complete and utter bellend

The private assurances were therefore given before the list of directors was submitted. It would be naive to assume that the list wasn't discussed in acquiring those private assurances. And it appears as if the list was the problem.

So did the list change between the time that private assurances were given, and the time the list was submitted?

I’m pretty much convinced that the takeover is still being worked on like, and have been quietly confident since PIF pulled out and the subsequent statements / leaks from all involved. I believe it was a power play / a good way to reduce the scrutiny surrounding the deal. As far as I’m aware there is no need for any formal acknowledgment that a deal is back on / the owners test has resumed, therefore the parties can get on with getting the deal through without BEIN, Amnesty and co even realising that it is back on. Remember, we only found out that the owners test had started because of some leaks at companies house. They won’t happen if a deal is resurrected, therefore we’ll not find out if and when the tests resume.

Basically, “let’s tell everyone it’s off so we stop getting letters / scrutiny from all angles, and let’s push it through quietly”. That’s what I’m choosing to believe is happening at the moment. They’re working to get it done as quietly as possible with zero leaks.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Like GC and the other journalists have said, if it was completely dead, Stavely and co would have drawn a line under it publicly. I don’t think they would leave us hanging without closure.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this. There is no doubt that the PL & PIF/Stavely were getting very tied up in knots and the danger of public humiliation/BEin issue/continued scrutiny/bad press/Top 5 clubs involvement was all getting too much for everyone.

So, the obvious solution was to withdraw the bid and declare publicly that it was dead. Then continue negotiations behind closed doors. So the issue of who heads the bid, who will run NUFC, KSA involvement etc could all be sorted out and agreed (or not) in private. Then, and only then, could a new bid and PL approval be announced.

This is very logical but not necessarily true! We can only hope...........

im back in

The hype train is coming, and Caulkin is the conductor 👍🏻