Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

It’s not Mike Ashley, or Steve Wraith. They don’t have the personality to pull something like that off.

It’s someone close to the club but who might have a little disdain for the owner.

It’s a supporter for sure. There was a joke about Cisse being offside recently, you’d have to know like..

I’m going with Lee Marshall.

It’s not Mike Ashley, or Steve Wraith. They don’t have the personality to pull something like that off.

It’s someone close to the club but who might have a little disdain for the owner.

It’s a supporter for sure. There was a joke about Cisse being offside recently, you’d have to know like..

I’m going with Lee Marshall.

Steve Wraith inferred yesterday that it’s not one person, he knows who they are and they more than likely have a source or sources within club.

It begins.

A couple of heavy hitting lawyers there by the looks of it. De Marco is apparently a top sports dispute lawyer and Shaheed Fatima has great experience in international disputes. She’s also represented a Saudi Prince before.

It begins indeed. I'm glad that news has come out promptly, to save us from sitting here in six weeks time wondering whether or not there's any point in still thinking about the takeover. They're still fighting for it. In context, that's good. Hopefully they'll succeed and I can start talking to my family and friends about Newcastle again.

Guest reefatoon

If these have been retained by only Ashley am I correct in thinking it doesn’t necessarily mean the deal is back on? He just wants compensation?

this is what is says on their own website. It mentions all parties, buyers and seller. So hopefully not just Mike going for compo.

"Shaheed Fatima QC and Nick De Marco QC are acting for Newcastle United FC and Mike Ashley (instructed by Dentons) in a dispute with the Premier League about its rejection of a takeover bid made by PCP Capital Partners, the Reuben Brothers and the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia (PIF) based on its Owners and Directors test."

If these have been retained by only Ashley am I correct in thinking it doesn’t necessarily mean the deal is back on? He just wants compensation?

Quite possibly, that was my first thought too.  Probably an unpopular opinion but I hope he gets it tbh

He's already said they've provided enough evidence on the point of contention so this will be about the sale, not compensation.

Ashley has seen the colour of their money and also will be thinking about his new contacts, the strength of which will depend on this sale going through.

This will happen.

Quite possibly, that was my first thought too.  Probably an unpopular opinion but I hope he gets it tbh

I read it again and to me, it reads as though they are acting solely for Mike and the club. 

Either way, I agree with you. The premier league have fucked him as much as they have us.

I think we just don't know at the moment, I'd imagine it all depends on how willing the Saudis are to come back to the deal. Presumably they would have to rule that the PL didn't apply the test properly for Fat Mike to win, and presumably at that point the possibility of it going through is back on if the Saudis want it? Ashley and Staveley/Reubens quite obviously still want it to happen.

Has it not been established that any legal action has to come from the club/Ashley, rather than the bidders? I suspect he is hoping the legal threat (along with other pressure form UK Gov, etc) make the PL rethink and push it through.

He may be after compensation, but is he really going to get the value he's lost out on (£300m +)? If he doesn't get anywhere near that figure, is it worth the fight if he does really want rid this time?

If he did accept an arbitrary compensation payment, he still doesn't seem to have many/any other bidders waiting in the wings.