Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

If the 500m includes broadcasting rights in SA then Qatar must be confident that they’ll be able to broadcast there. The deal isn’t worth 500m without that market. IMO this is positive news, if SA now lift the ban then even more so. Both sides could claim victory and in many ways they’d both be right.

Even if the Saudi’s decide to reinstate beIN, I don’t see how this should affect the legal case. Also, the ‘big 6’ will still be trying their best to stop this from going through.

Don’t think we’ll hear anything until the new year now unfortunately. Let’s just hope the kebab eating dinosaur can fluke some more results over Christmas & New Year. Saturday is a must not lose game.

Piracy always seems to have been at the heart of this, there’s huge sums of money involved, reputation and integrity for the Premier League.

If beIN withdraw their objections I don’t see the Big 6 being in any position to stop it. All the PL would need to say is that they recognised PIF as a separate entity and that the test was complete.

If beIN remain banned in SA the deals dead, 500m says otherwise and the PL are going to have a hell of a time running piracy cases which would be a very expensive business.

If the 500m includes broadcasting rights in SA then Qatar must be confident that they’ll be able to broadcast there. The deal isn’t worth 500m without that market. IMO this is positive news, if SA now lift the ban then even more so. Both sides could claim victory and in many ways they’d both be right.

I’m hoping this is the scenario to, it would be hard to believe Saudi and Qatar are going to sign some peace pact whilst continuing to ban Bein and lobbying against the takeover.

My only doubt is have Qatar happily paid over the odds as a thanks to the PL for blocking the takeover. The statement from Bein references the PL protecting rights, which clearly relates to the Saudis and piracy. After previously stating the next contract would be worth less, it’s a bit bizarre to pay over the odds in a 1 horse bidding race.

Here’s hoping it’s the former but I don’t think anyone truly knows at this point.

Whitley and Manors are the consortium supporters.

I’ll champion this to the day it’s officially dead. I think what’s clear here is that the MP involvement is about transparency. The major fear im picking up on is that they’re worried the PL will try and dismiss this via a closed doors panel with no transparency.

These lads are trying to keep the public pressure on, and as a fanbase we should be doing everything to support this.

The clubs dead as a dodo if this doesn’t go through.

I’ll champion this to the day it’s officially dead. I think what’s clear here is that the MP involvement is about transparency. The major fear im picking up on is that they’re worried the PL will try and dismiss this via a closed doors panel with no transparency.

These lads are trying to keep the public pressure on, and as a fanbase we should be doing everything to support this.

It is difficult to tolerate the 'quiet / no news' situation that we are in right now. Believe me, I experience that too!

Sometimes, that lack of news makes people think that nothing is happening and that the takeover is 'being forgotten about' - so will not succeed. The long wait seems endless . . .

Whenever that thought occurs to me I think about the people who are ACTIVELY involved in getting this done - Staveley, The Reubens, PIF, Ashley (yes Ashley!!) Di Marco, The Newcastle Consortium Supporters . . . and so I KNOW that we will win.

We will win.

And boy will we deserve it by then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is difficult to tolerate the 'quiet / no news' situation that we are in right now. Believe me, I experience that too!

Sometimes, that lack of news makes people think that nothing is happening and that the takeover is 'being forgotten about' - so will not succeed. The long wait seems endless . . .

Whenever that thought occurs to me I think about the people who are ACTIVELY involved in getting this done - Staveley, The Reubens, PIF, Ashley (yes Ashley!!) Di Marco, The Newcastle Consortium Supporters . . . and so I KNOW that we will win.

We will win.

And boy will we deserve it by then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would Amanda Staveley give you confidence that the takeover will happen when over 3 years since she first tried to buy the club she still hasn't succeeded?

Massive climb down from KSA required for this to happen. Can’t see it. Not sure how anyone can.

I'm not saying it will/won't happen.

But why would Bein (Qatar) pay £500m for PL rights (which is the same they paid last time and included broadcasting in Saudi) if they didn't think Saudi were going to allow them to start broadcasting? Surely they'd pay less on the basis the PL rights aren't worth as much to them?

If anything, I would think this a concession from Saudi and it'll be officially confirmed at some point that Saudi will allow Bein to be aired in their country.

Why would Newcastle vote against it?

Maybe because  Ashley believes Bein cost him over 300 million pounds .

We will win.

Why would Amanda Staveley give you confidence that the takeover will happen when over 3 years since she first tried to buy the club she still hasn't succeeded?

Is that her fault?

I look at it from a different angle, she's been stopped from buying it for 3 years and still hasn't gone away.  She seems pretty determined to get what she wants.

Don't get me wrong I think this deal is unlikely to happen now but that's nothing to do with staveley.

‘Some clubs are hell bent on stopping this happen’.

This is why the arbitration needs to be transparent, couple this with the crooked Qatari’s still being in bed with the PL, it’s clear that the consortium want this to be as public as possible. All these updates from NCSL are as official an update as we can expect of where we’re currently at.

This is a snippet from Ian Mearns in the Chronicle last night -

Mr Mearns, a season ticket holder at Newcastle United, says the majority of his constituents to have contacted him regarding the takeover are seeking answers from the Premier League - and he feels they are right to do so.

"People are looking for transparency from the Premier League, whether we can get that via the Government - I don't mind how we do that.

"They are looking for genuine answers and want to know why the club they support seems to be being treated differently in terms of their aspirations for someone to buy it, then other Premier League clubs have been treated in the past.

"There does seem to be areas of vested interest within the Premier League from within some clubs which seem hellbent on preventing this takeover from happening."

This is why the arbitration needs to be transparent, couple this with the crooked Qatari’s still being in bed with the PL, it’s clear that the consortium want this to be as public as possible. All these updates from NCSL are as official an update as we can expect of where we’re currently at.

Mr Mearns, a season ticket holder at Newcastle United, says the majority of his constituents to have contacted him regarding the takeover are seeking answers from the Premier League - and he feels they are right to do so.

"People are looking for transparency from the Premier League, whether we can get that via the Government - I don't mind how we do that.

"They are looking for genuine answers and want to know why the club they support seems to be being treated differently in terms of their aspirations for someone to buy it, then other Premier League clubs have been treated in the past.

"There does seem to be areas of vested interest within the Premier League from within some clubs which seem hellbent on preventing this takeover from happening."

Hopefully the transparency happens but as fans, not sure what WE can do about that apart from email our MP's again. They keep going on about how fans must keep pressure on and I fail to see how we can do that really.

We will win.

Is that her fault?

I look at it from a different angle, she's been stopped from buying it for 3 years and still hasn't gone away.  She seems pretty determined to get what she wants.

Don't get me wrong I think this deal is unlikely to happen now but that's nothing to do with staveley.

Well not really, if the people she's seeking investment from tend to be people the Premier League don't want owning football clubs then I would say that's a pretty big issue when it comes to assessing our chances of the takeover been successful.

Hopefully the transparency happens but as fans, not sure what WE can do about that apart from email our MP's again. They keep going on about how fans must keep pressure on and I fail to see how we can do that really.

Not sure either but this is where NCSL should be backed to the hilt, they are doing a great job of keeping us unofficially in the picture, and trying to keep the pressure on in public.

It’s in the govts manifesto to look at football governance, so any pressure through MP’s can have a cumulative impact. Who’s to say the govt don’t take the PL’s ability to decide ownership away from them and appoint an independent body.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2268674/2020/12/18/newcastle-tv-deal-takeover/

Those on the buying side remain adamant that nothing has materially changed with the new TV deal. Ashley and Newcastle, through arbitration, are contesting the Premier League’s Owners’ and Directors’ Test, which failed to approve the prospective takeover.

While the club has confirmed that it “has issued arbitration proceedings against the EPL”, it has not revealed what form this legal action will take, insisting they will not comment on its “substance”. However, what is clear is that it is part of their attempts to force through the takeover, or at the very least seek further answers or extract some form of compensation from the Premier League.

The Athletic understands the Saudis remain determined to buy Newcastle, despite having officially withdrawn the bid in July, but they will only retable their offer if a pathway towards approval is unveiled.

Newcastle had hoped for positive progress in September following political pressure and government involvement. Since then, Ashley has hired Nick de Marco and Shaheed Fatima, both QCs, to lead his case in his and the club’s dispute with the Premier League.

When the arbitration process will be concluded, and what the outcome will be, remain frustratingly unclear, though.

Newcastle Consortium Supporters Ltd (NCSL) — a group of fans who have launched legal action of their own — are also keeping the pressure on the Premier League.

Regarding our vote against the MENA deal yesterday, legally had to be done as further down the line this vote might be used against us in court.

Hence I’m not reading too much into this, it was the logical next step.

We will win.

Is that her fault?

Well not really, if the people she's seeking investment from tend to be people the Premier League don't want owning football clubs then I would say that's a pretty big issue when it comes to assessing our chances of the takeover been successful.

The premier league shouldn't have an issue with them, again, it's not her fault she hasn't been able to get a breakthrough... first Ashley now the PL/bein/cunt 6.

The fact she's still trying after 3 years should be enough to show she's not the time waster some would like to portray.

I just don't get the benefit these calls for transparency, it's just so vague and easy to bat away because O&D test and arbitration are fundamentally confidential processes. Also, MP's can't be seen to be influencing the judiciary so it's pointless asking for them to intervene in NCSL's case.

Surely it would be better to concentrate on concrete things like asking MPs to put pressure on the PL to act in accordance with its own rules and make a formal decision or on stuff the government can actually influence, like an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority.