Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Feels like a terrible day to have been away from Twitter and football :lol:

One text about the takeover, yet 17 new pages on here? Instead of reading them all, is there any solid reason to believe this is game over?

Nope, not really.

One text about the takeover, yet 17 new pages on here? Instead of reading them all, is there any solid reason to believe this is game over?

Yes, the PL have said PIF have withdrawn and the O&D test isn't ongoing. It's over as far as the takeover is concerned I think, but I also think the PL are possibly going to get absolutely taken to the cleaners in court... which will make it even more galling being stuck with Ashley.

What happened to Rocker's updates? Staveley's point about arbitration seems legally incorrect unless the pl have some bespoke set up for it. Arbitration is an alternative forum to a court for determination of an issue or claim. A bit like mediation but the decision is generally binding. So this whole oh we needed a decision first to then arbitrate on seems slightly odd to me.

What happened to Rocker's updates? Staveley's point about arbitration seems legally incorrect unless the pl have some bespoke set up for it. Arbitration is an alternative forum to a court for determination of an issue or claim. A bit like mediation but the decision is generally binding. So this whole oh we needed a decision first to then arbitrate on seems slightly odd to me.

This thread doesn’t agree with your view on arbitration.

Guest neesy111

Yes, the PL have said PIF have withdrawn and the O&D test isn't ongoing. It's over as far as the takeover is concerned I think, but I also think the PL are possibly going to get absolutely taken to the cleaners in court... which will make it even more galling being stuck with Ashley.

The PL aren't going to be taken to the cleaners.

Matt Slater in The Athletic reckons that the consortium turned down the offer of arbitration cos it was a bullshit offer: they'd have had the opportunity for arbitration over everything in the event the deal got rejected. They thought, why should they have to go through some process like that for only one aspect of the deal. Reject it and let's go the whole hog. But they didn't reject it.

Think I’ll wait and hear back from the trust meeting with the PL before I decide if I’m truely and finally out. Tho wonder how many questions the PL palm off with their ‘confidential process’ bullshit

But the arbitration was simply to determine whether MBS had ultimate control over PIF not whether they could conclude the takeover of NUFC.

Matt Slater in The Athletic reckons that the consortium turned down the offer of arbitration cos it was a bullshit offer: they'd have had the opportunity for arbitration over everything in the event the deal got rejected. They thought, why should they have to go through some process like that for only one aspect of the deal. Reject it and let's go the whole hog. But they didn't reject it.

Yeah an offer of arbitration for one aspect of decision, then we’ll consider the rest of the test in 18 months. How they’ve kept a straight face with this nonsense beggars.

Man City went to arbitration after they were found guilty, the PL have in effect refused to make a decision and have tried to blame consortium for not subjecting govt to test. If the PL believe shadow directors we’re not being put forward then fail the test.

As PCP have suggested this evening it was just kicking the can down the road, they never had any intention of making a decision. The excuse that they would have made decision if govt had been put forward is just absolute bull s***, as they knew this would never happen.

Hard to find any positives out of that statement regards the takeover but let's not forget how brilliant the fans were to get these fuckers to sqwirm like this.

I do think takeovers 100% dead now...no fucking way masters would be talking about it with the trust otherwise.

Hope to god I'm wrong obviously but can't see it sadly :(

Whenever arbitration should take effect, if it's through CAS you're talking months and months surely. Still feels like game playing by the PL - trying to look reasonable when the reality makes it untenable.

Think I’ll wait and hear back from the trust meeting with the PL before I decide if I’m truely and finally out. Tho wonder how many questions the PL palm off with their ‘confidential process’ bullshit

I think it's clear the takeover ship has now sailed. It's about getting answers from both parties now to find out why it wasn't approved and then to move forwards, whether that means still supporting NUFC or washing your hands of the whole club and maybe even top level football in general, which I've heard a few people mention that is what they will be doing.

I think it's clear the takeover ship has now sailed. It's about getting answers from both parties now to find out why it wasn't approved and then to move forwards, whether that means still supporting NUFC or washing your hands of the whole club and maybe even top level football in general, which I've heard a few people mention that is what they will be doing.

Got to admit I’ll find it very hard to have an interest in the premier league at all after all this

Good analogy here of the arbitration issue, I f***ing hope the NUST give that smarmy cnut both barrels. I also believe the theory of waiting for the PL to make statement needs to ring true here, if they are guilty of not applying their own test correctly, either Ashley or PCP need to start legal action.

Unless there’s a chance of political manoeuvring behind the scenes, there is literally no long game to play here, just set the legal teams at them or let us know it’s done with.

https://twitter.com/RedRoseMichelle/status/1294392345430036481

Have I missed something?  Are the Trust meeting the PL?

The PL aren't going to be taken to the cleaners.

As, I assume, neither of us are qualified to give a legal opinion on this I accept that your view is as valid as mine, but it would be good to at least see a bit of analysis to back up your view?

My view is that at very least they are likely to be liable for £17m plus legal costs.

Today's letter makes it abundantly clear that they haven't followed their rules on the O&D test.

It's clear from the rules, in the circumstances the PL set out in today's letter, that they should have issued a formal written notification of disqualification of the directors in June.

Had they done that the consortium would have been refunded their deposit of £17m (as Staveley has stated).

The PL rules would be the basis of a contract for the purposes of contract law, the PL have failed to apply the rules as set out and that has resulted in the consortium losing £17m. That seems open and shut to me.

Ashley's potential case would probably be much more complicated, because he would probably have to demonstrate that the test should have been passed to show financial harm. But if the actual valid legal opinion of Football Law that PIF and the KSA are legally separate is the position taken by the court, Ashley could get the full value of the club, plus legal costs.

From what I've seen of those who work in legal, they all say that the PL have basically fucked up and have not carried out the test the way they should have.

The football law thread is the best I've seen.

Surely the next step now is legal action from the buyers. Where that would leave us if they do win though, who knows.