Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

You’d think the Department for Trade were more involved anyway.

Don’t forget FIFA rules about government interference in national associations. They can’t be seen to do anything

Gov giving a free pass to block it.

I disagree, in my view its the government distancing themselves from any involvement in the EPL decision making.

If the KSA thought for one minute the UK government had directed the EPL to block the takeover, I have no doubt the arms deal with KSA would be cancelled forthwith, which would then have a detrimental effect upon the UK economy at a time when the government is doing all it can to attract investment due to Covid19.

This is also why they probably want the takeover to go ahead, but can't come out and publicly support it for fear of attracting adverse publicity from Amnesty etc for apparently supporting the regime despite its human rights abuses and TV piracy.

In other words the government is sitting on the fence quite happy to see the EPL take the rap whichever way this takeover goes.

That's ok, the EPL are also happily sitting on the fence and waiting to see if it will all just go away. :lol:

I just remembered the letter the NUST didn’t release to the fan base from the Premier League to open a professional dialogue with them. How’s that working out?

The letter that wasn't a publicity stunt, but they felt the need to publicly announce they sent it?  :lol:

Guest chopey

With regards to backlash from Amnesty, I imagine they take selling arms to a country to kill people is worse than an investment in a football club.

Not sure why the Reuben brothers don't take a larger role in the takeover.  They're out of the running for the Mets apparently so why couldn't they put up the controlling share for NUFC and then sell that off to PIF after all this other stuff gets sorted?

Maybe their interest is not quite as keen as the Saudis, as in they are happy to do a deal, but not that fussed if it takes a while. Why commit their own money when they will still have to find a way to bring PIF in at some point anyway?

Seems to me, the PL bigwigs don't want to turn the Saudis away, but deep down they don't really like the deal either as it's us and not Man U or Liverpool. They are just sitting on their hands at this point and seeing what happens.

With regards to backlash from Amnesty, I imagine they take selling arms to a country to kill people is worse than an investment in a football club.

No one gives a crap about Amnesty, cities get bombed every day by various tinpot leaders, some of them even on our behalf when it suits us.

Guest chopey

I've never really considered the Reuben investment, if the Saudis put £100 million in for players, training ground ect do they have to put in 10%

All I see is article after article claiming x, y and z without any forthcoming proof. I mean yes, absolutely this deal could have fallen through, as reported, it could have stalled, as reported, it could have been waved through as reported, it could have been hijacked by that U.S fella, it could have been hijacked by martians too. I'm sure that has been part of the speculation and the guessing by now too. What else is there left? It's all been said... by people who havent a clue what is going on.

Getting worked up over stories made up by people trying to sell you gossip and speculation is absolutely pointless, whatever side of the positivity scale they are on.

Guest chopey

Ashley's silence is deafening

He's spoken publicly like once in the last 10 years :lol:

Following Stavely's last effort collapsing, Bishop had the PR wheels in motion pronto.

That's what I was thinking

I just remembered the letter the NUST didn’t release to the fan base from the Premier League to open a professional dialogue with them. How’s that working out?

The letter that wasn't a publicity stunt, but they felt the need to publicly announce they sent it?  :lol:

Well yes - you don't engage a leading football law barrister to make legal arguments on your behalf in favour of something - and then when he tells you that releasing copies of letters would undermine his correspondence and their impact rendering the exercise pointless- just ignore him and release it all for a few likes on Twitter.

Ashley's silence is deafening

Thats a key point i feel.

If it was in trouble or had been rejected ashley or barnes wouldve said something, leaked something. Something that would further their own interests.

Well yes - you don't engage a leading football law barrister to make legal arguments on your behalf in favour of something - and then when he tells you that releasing copies of letters would undermine his correspondence and their impact rendering the exercise pointless- just ignore him and release it all for a few likes on Twitter.

Maybe not but do you agree it's done more damage than good to NUST

Maybe not but do you agree it's done more damage than good to NUST

No. The world doesn't revolve around the angry people on Twitter.