PIF and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Amanda Staveley, Chief Executive Officer of PCP Capital Partners, said: "Newcastle United is such a special, unique club and being a co-owner of Newcastle United has been an honour.

"Mehrdad and I have loved being part of this club and community and are extremely proud of the progress Newcastle United has made in recent years.

"Our ambition has always been aligned to the brilliant fans of this club - to create consistently successful teams that regularly compete for major trophies and generate pride across the globe.

"We are grateful to have played our part in setting up the club for even more future success. We will remain fans for life."

Just now, gbandit said:

Sounds cut and dry that they’ll have zero involvement going forwards in any capacity

Good to get that clarity. It is a shame that they won’t be involved but it definitely feels like things are going to be moving up a notch in terms of ambition. 

Timing of all of this seems a little suspicious but they've done it by the book. Not sure whether the issues were financial, social or medical or whatever but that's none of our business tbh. She was the face of the takeover and did a brilliant job, she should be thanked by all Newcastle fans and also be allowed to just slip away and move onto her next project. They've been brilliant for the club and now they're moving on, wish them nothing but good luck, they've been mint :) 

Just now, gbandit said:

Sounds cut and dry that they’ll have zero involvement going forwards in any capacity

Yeah shame that but does sound like it’s been done to allow for more investment going forward 

Canny gutted about this to be honest. They were the faces of positive change  and despite the heavy PR I got the impression the were both heavily invested in us from the day the bid got pulled. I’d love to hear the real side of their story and the work they had to do when they took over. I read they were both heavily involved in those early transfer windows and it was great seeing them in the dressing room.

I also think it’s gonna be a massive blow losing them as the outward face of the club ownership.

I’ll be forever grateful to both of them and they deserve a much bigger send off. Hopefully worflags do their send off justice. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

Timing of all of this seems a little suspicious but they've done it by the book. Not sure whether the issues were financial, social or medical or whatever but that's none of our business tbh. She was the face of the takeover and did a brilliant job, she should be thanked by all Newcastle fans and also be allowed to just slip away and move onto her next project. They've been brilliant for the club and now they're moving on, wish them nothing but good luck, they've been mint :) 

Agreed. 

I suspect we’ll hear more from Eales and Yasir going forward. 

I won't speculate as to why she's gone, but from what there was, she's left a club with an impressive seeming executive team, a vastly improved team on the pitch and an excellent manager.

More importantly, brought back a bit of hope that we're not just here to tread water to those that were losing it, or gave up.

So, mission accomplished and then some. Would love to see her and Mehrdad at a game sometime.

Just now, Jack27 said:

No video saying goodbye?? 

Have we laid off our whole video production department?

She’ll maybe do something on her own social media in her own time. We don’t know how she feels about it all 

3 hours ago, Eveready said:

I'm going to attempt to explain why it was never viable for PCP to keep their stake with significant infrastructure investment.

PCP owned their 6% (after dilutions), however they borrowed the money from RB to purchase this at 7% annual interest, which has not been repaid.

Staveley had to borrow money from the club to pay for legal fees unrelated to NUFC, strongly indicating that that she has liquidity issues.

Below I have set out 2 scenario's, neither are entirely realistic as they don't include any additional investment transfers/wages.  However, they are illustrative enough.

PCP has probably just about managed to keep up with interest to RB with the increased valuation of the club based on organic growth (excluding the addition investment in the playing squad).  However, if a large infrastructure investment is made, their share will reduce significantly but the valuation of the club based on organic growth will likely continue as an absolute £ value.

This would mean that if the clubs value organically grew £50m in a year, PCP would recognise £2.85m profit at their 5.7% share.  However, if a £1bn infrastructure investment was made, they would only recognise £1.1m profit at an equity share of 2.2%.  However, the interest would continue to accrue at the same 7% per annum.

Assumptions:

• Current NUFC valuation: £636m (source: Forbes)
  • PCP equity pre-disposal: 5.7% (source: widely reported)
  • Current value of loan from RB: £36m (this is understated, but it's more about direction of travel so it's sufficient for illustration)
  • Loan at 7% interest (source: PCP/Cantervale's Companies House filings)
  • £1bn infrastructure investment in Scenario B (roughly the cost of Spurs new stadium)
  • The club's value increases organically by £50m/year (current valuation of £636m, less £305m initial purchase value, less £206m additional cash injections = £125m increase in valuation before cash injections.  £125m/3 years of ownership = c.£42m/year.  Rounded up to £50m/year)
  • The valuation of the additional infrastructure remains constant at £1bn

Scenario A - No further investment.  Organic growth only

image.thumb.png.6ffca92a19c24868655530d05666a98b.png

Scenario B - £1bn infrastructure investment.  Organic growth of footballing operations

image.thumb.png.0a69c1200908a350278a12f217f24596.png

The longer they stay, the more precarious their position would become.

I've put this together in about 10 minutes and I'm currently too lazy on a Friday afternoon to check so apologies for any errors, but directionally should be sound.

This makes it very clear that she was doing it for the money and not the love of the club. Surely if she really loved the club she would have taken the financial hit?