PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

How many PL clubs have a sponsored stadium? 3? Cant be that much of a financial benefit if so few do it. If it's £30m a season you can keep it. 

Isn't the alternative renaming the stadium altogether assuming you want to bring in significant money on an ongoing basis? Although some of them like Arsenal have used building a new ground altogether as a route to doing this.

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

How many PL clubs have a sponsored stadium? 3? Cant be that much of a financial benefit if so few do it. If it's £30m a season you can keep it. 

Could be the difference between signing another player of Bruno's calibre or sticking with Sean Longstaff. For the sake of having a Saudi Airlines logo on the back of the Gallowgate or whatever, it's definitely worth it.

With amortisation and the way FFP works £30m per season is 4 or 5 Brunos worth of transfer fees isn’t it? Or 2 players covering fee and and wages at his level. 

Not saying we should go for it but it’s by no means insignificant. Personally I’d be okay with ‘St James’ Park powered by whatever’…for the right money.

Sports direct blah blah at st James stadium was fucking atrocious and sports direct arena well he can just get fucked for that. But st James park powered by/ sponsored by whoever is fine. It's still called st James park, as long as the name is more prominent than the sponsorship 

If done with subtlety (“powered by” and not forcing broadcasters to use it as the previous fucker did), after consultation with the fanbase and supported by majority I could live with it as a means to get around FFP and help us build the club. My main gripe with the SDA shit was that the club wasn’t benefitting from it at all. It was even taking space from advertisers willing to pay, hence our pitiful commercial income development vs the competition.

Let’s put it this way: given the choice between staying at Saint James’ but it being renamed “Saint James’ Park powered by Noon” or moving to the “Noon Area” somewhere on an industrial estate, if one of these options was needed in order to allow the owners to get around FFP and make us competitive to challenge for titles and trophies, it would be option #1 wouldn’t it..?

15 minutes ago, RS said:

Tacky and unnecessary. Richest club in the world doesn’t need to rename the stadium

(unless they just drop the ‘ and give us £500m spending)

I think you might be on to something there. 

PIF create or fund some trendy, vague company called s, who then sponsor the stadium name for £100m a year on condition their name is incorporated into the stadium name and so we'd have to tolerate: St. James's Park. 

I could accept that, might have to draw the line at having it in bold though. It's a stadium, not a discotheque. 

37 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It won't bring in the money people think, it'll fetch circa half the transfer fee for a decent PL midfielder. Top level football continues to sell away bits of its soul piece by piece and one of the final bits left is that many clubs play at their original grounds with their original names. 

Keep ours.

This. A million times. 

I must admit as much as I am enjoying this season and the prospect of the immediate future, I am even putting aside the morals a little apprehensive about becoming a soulless super club where everything is a brand tie in and continual 'banter' from every social media orifice

(grumble grumble grumble)

I think PIF just want to plough as much money into the club as possible to catch up to the big clubs. This is another way of doing that. 

If there was no FFP I don't think they would bother but they are doing everything possible to legally put as much into the club as they can. 

Edited by Scotty66

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

This. A million times. 

I must admit as much as I am enjoying this season and the prospect of the immediate future, I am even putting aside the morals a little apprehensive about becoming a soulless super club where everything is a brand tie in and continual 'banter' from every social media orifice

(grumble grumble grumble)

I'm the same. I thought that with Staveley and her husband involved as well as the Ruebens who've been involved in trying to get the club bought and the city respectively that in spite of our riches we'd (try to) preserve the clubs identity; the crest, the ground, the grounds name etc. This is part of it and I definitely don't want to change it for the sake of ~£25m a year. [/yer_da]

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It won't bring in the money people think, it'll fetch circa half the transfer fee for a decent PL midfielder. Top level football continues to sell away bits of its soul piece by piece and one of the final bits left is that many clubs play at their original grounds with their original names. 

Keep ours.

It will be a yearly fee not a one off. 

I wouldn't be all that bothered - as has already been said, most people would just shorten it to St James' Park anyway.

Which is also why I think it might not work. If no-one referred to the sponsor's name, it's presumably doubtful the sponsorship would be worth all that much.

And if it's a related party sponsorship, they'd need to demonstrate that any deal was at fair market value. Which, by the same logic, then wouldn't be all that much.

It's not really the same as naming a whole stadium the Emirates.