PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno why people care like, it's the difference between the 80% owners being murderous homophones or being hypocritical, murderous homophobes. Kind of meaningless isn't it.

Yep,  damned if you do damned if you dont scenario.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno why people care like, it's the difference between the 80% owners being murderous homophones or being hypocritical, murderous homophobes. Kind of meaningless isn't it.

For me it’s about to which degree they’re influencing/controlling the club. It’s obvious which way it’s going.

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno why people care like, it's the difference between the 80% owners being murderous homophobes or being hypocritical, murderous homophobes. Kind of meaningless isn't it.

I hoped when this takeover happened that NUFC would have a positive influence on how Saudi Arabia behaves. That for me would be enormously positive.

I'll be very annoyed if Saudi Arabia instead has a negative influence on how NUFC behaves. That for me would be quite disgusting.

This is a hint which way it might be going. As others have said, hopefully it's just a clerical error, or someone forgot. We'll see.

So, I know from friends in the community that these things can be seen as pretty shallow corporate platitudes but I still really don't like this at all. Not taking part sends a terrible message.

NUFC's community values should not be defined by the owners. 

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

40 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno why people care like, it's the difference between the 80% owners being murderous homophobes or being hypocritical, murderous homophobes. Kind of meaningless isn't it.

I suppose because it makes it harder for me to bury my head in the sand when it actually starts influencing the club's approach to things like this.

28 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

So, I know from friends in the community that these things can be seen as pretty shallow corporate platitudes but I still really don't like this at all. Not taking part sends a terrible message.

NUFC's community values should not be defined by the owners. 

From my own point of view as a gay man, I don't really care for gay pride parades with people gyrating in G-strings on top of floats or companies changing their logos to a rainbow flag version of their logo for a month and then changing it back immediately once the month is over. However this is a bit different. This is something that tries to give visibility for LGBT people in countries where it's illegal and can result in death, such is the platform of Premiership football, and as has been mentioned already, this should be going the other way with us having a positive influence on Saudi Arabia. If the WWE can influence Saudi Arabia to let females compete in sports (or "sports entertainment") then this should also be possible. To also be the only club who didn't acknowledge it is shameful whether it's an oversight or not.

It’s frankly shameful the club have swerved this so far. I hope it’s rectified between now and the end of the month.

We could really do with some of the journalists who have spent the last few days working themselves into a tizzy because Howe criticised Klopp turning their attention towards this.

It should be something supporters groups reach out to the club for a response on because we have to lay a marker down on these things to say we won't tolerate it. Although we're owned by the PIF, Newcastle United isn't Saudi Arabia and it shouldn't behave like it is a club in that country. St James' Park should be a warm and welcoming place for those in the LGBT community, and not just in the stands either, what if someone in the playing and coaching staff was gay? Maybe Wor Flags should bring out their LGBT banner again for Villa if they still have it. 

Just seen the Rainbow Laces campaign is for fixtures between 22-30. Hopefully the club give it a proper acknowledgement before/at the home game next weekend. Looks like that’s what happened last year before the Norwich game.

I HIGHLY doubt the it’s intentional and is likely just being saved for later in the week / the home game?

They’ve not put a foot wrong on that front, so to purposefully not take part at all between now and 30th would be out of character.

Edited by Shadow Puppets