PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

A lot of them turned down mega bucks to now have been bought off by the same people

Surely they're gonna feel like they've been sold down the river..could lead to a breakaway tour for these players? Obviously the money is going to be far far less. So will be interesting to see if their morals hold up After all...

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Holy shit, LIV merging with the PGA Tour. 

It was always going to happen, the PGA just thought that they could claim ownership of Golf and keep them at bay.

22 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It was always going to happen, the PGA just thought that they could claim ownership of Golf and keep them at bay.

Not sure how you can say it was always going to happen when the entire golf world is stunned at the news.

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Not sure how you can say it was always going to happen when the entire golf world is stunned at the news.

They are only stunned because they had the ignorant belief that they were rich enough not to be threatened.

I would say this is a big deal. With Professional Golf under their banner and a team they own now in the Champions League isn't it best for business to tone down the human rights stuff from their perspective?

Maybe it's so ingrained into their culture they simply don't know how to act any other way, but with a huge spotlight on them they need to figure it out soon.

Just now, Nobody said:

Wonder this means for our transfer kitty this summer. Wouldn't be happy if our Champions League money ends up going to golfers :undecided:

It’s got to be a real concern. Saudi Arabia only have so much money. 

Please tell me someone like Exile or DangerMouse is a massive pro golf fan.

What's the odds next major tournament, RTG is  happily watching along and reacting in the chat forum golf thread?

1 hour ago, McDog said:

I would say this is a big deal. With Professional Golf under their banner and a team they own now in the Champions League isn't it best for business to tone down the human rights stuff from their perspective?

Maybe it's so ingrained into their culture they simply don't know how to act any other way, but with a huge spotlight on them they need to figure it out soon.

Wishful thinking

That news about the golf is huge, and I think very good for us. The Saudis are now fully embedded and accepted in world sport and therefore are going nowhere. Meanwhile some of the spotlight is taken off us as we become a smaller fish in their portfolio. Suits me fine. Steady & sensible continual investment & ambition is perfect for us.

I bet UEFA are looking at this news nervously, because if/when the Super League does happen the Saudis will likely be at the heart of it. Wouldn't be surprised if the EPL took on board the big European teams and thus making the Premier League the official Super League, rather than being the unofficial one. I think it could possibly work too, by making the PL ran by the English FA but allowing the big Euro teams to compete in it. Create an extra relegation spot specifically for European teams so that the lowest placed Euro team gets relegated back to their home nation league system. Then their place in the PL is contested for by a play-off competition involving the winners of the other European leagues. It would mean the likes of Real and Barca sacking off their home leagues of course but, as we found out today, huge money talks. Well, I think it's a decent idea anyway. [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

Wishful thinking

Not really. They’re- within the realms of shariah law- cleaning up their act across the board (albeit largely for monetary reasons)to improve their world image and improve tourism into the country . Mbs, the guy everyone is piling on nowadays, and for largely good reason, has been the spearhead for an amazing change in the country over such a short amount of time. Honestly you wouldn’t believe the sort of shit that used go on here before he came into power.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

That news about the golf is huge, and I think very good for us. The Saudis are now fully embedded and accepted in world sport and therefore are going nowhere. Meanwhile some of the spotlight is taken off us as we become a smaller fish in their portfolio. Suits me fine. Steady & sensible continual investment & ambition is perfect for us.

I bet UEFA are looking at this news nervously, because if/when the Super League does happen the Saudis will likely be at the heart of it. Wouldn't be surprised if the EPL took on board the big European teams and thus making the Premier League the official Super League, rather than being the unofficial one. I think it could possibly work too, by making the PL ran by the English FA but allowing the big Euro teams to compete in it. Create an extra relegation spot specifically for European teams so that the lowest placed Euro team gets relegated back to their home nation league system. Then their place in the PL is contested for by a play-off competition involving the winners of the other European leagues. It would mean the likes of Real and Barca sacking off their home leagues of course but, as we found out today, huge money talks. Well, I think it's a decent idea anyway. [emoji38]

You think the people who won’t allow Celtic & Rangers in because they are not English are going to happy with Bayern Munich, Ajax, and Benfica?

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

You think the people who won’t allow Celtic & Rangers in because they are not English are going to happy with Bayern Munich, Ajax, and Benfica?

The only reason those two are not wanted is because of their sectarian support. And if they wanted in, they would have to earn it through sporting merit, as they wouldn't be one of the clubs from the other leagues who get a free invite on formation. They could also be relegated from it if they don't meet the standard, as they'd very likely finish bottom of the "euro league" that existed within the PL.