PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Wrong thread, so I'll draw a line under this here.

My point was that I'm uncomfortable making a song and dance about Ukraine, while the chaps that own 80% of our club are responsible for the bombing and starvation of millions of innocent civilians in Yemen.

Everyone has their own moral compass, but it just doesn't sit right for me. I feel that we should stand strong with both Ukraine and Yemen, but we won't because sportswahing works.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

My point was that I'm uncomfortable making a song and dance about Ukraine, while the chaps that own 80% of our club are responsible for the bombing and starvation of millions of innocent civilians in Yemen.

Everyone has their own moral compass, but it just doesn't sit right for me. I feel that we should stand strong with both Ukraine and Yemen, but we won't because sportswahing works.

If wood scores tomorrow I will definitely be sportsWahing tomorrow

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

No-one gave two fucks about Yemen before we were taken over, if anything people now care, or rather have a think about this sort of stuff since the takeover, mostly it’s fake outrage sadly and point scoring and more about self interest. LFC fans now only ‘care’ for example because we are now a threat to them. The mackems now only ‘care’ because they know it will end in their rivals being better off.

No-one gave a fuck about Abramovic’s links to Putin until now, or that Everton guy, again, it’s mostly fake outrage. It’s our governments, leaders and people in power we should be outraged at and outraged about all wars or human atrocities.

We are all morally bankrupt though and at least if not, complicit in the evils, ills, malaise and bad things in this world of ours. We happily support a football team owned by a barbaric regime, we happily allow the likes of Boris into power, we happily buy expensive designer clothes made in sweat shops and we happily choose sides in conflicts that suit our own interests.

Sportswashimg doesn’t exist, well it does, but only as an idea, PIF owning NUFC doesn’t have any bearing on the ordinary population at all, either back in their own country or here, it does politically and financially, however, and that’s why they buy the likes of NUFC and why the powers that be allow it. It benefits a few, not the majority. Financially and politically.

Sportswashing is a term used to best describe fake outrage. Look at that ‘reporter’ asking Howe about his thoughts, fine ask, but if you were really unhappy and had issues, ask the very fucking people doing the crimes against humanity not some football manager doing his job and a job he’s doing for the right reasons and for a real purpose. What is the purpose of war, of making people suffer, of amassing untold riches one can’t fully ever spend?

Edited by HTT II

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

No-one gave two fucks about Yemen before we were taken over, if anything people now care, or rather have a think about this sort of stuff since the takeover, mostly it’s fake outrage sadly and point scoring and more about self interest. LFC fans now only ‘care’ for example because we are now a threat to them. The mackems now only ‘care’ because they know it will end in their rivals being better off.

No-one gave a fuck about Abramovic’s links to Putin until now, or that Everton guy, again, it’s mostly fake outrage. It’s our governments, leaders and people in power we should be outraged at and outraged about all wars or human atrocities.

We are all morally bankrupt though and at least if not, complicit in the evils, ills, malaise and bad things in this world of ours. We happily support a football team owned by a barbaric regime, we happily allow the likes of Boris into power, we happily buy expensive designer clothes made in sweat shops and we happily choose sides in conflicts that suit our own interests.

Sportswashimg doesn’t exist, well it does, but only as an idea, PIF owning NUFC doesn’t have any bearing on the ordinary population at all, either back in their own country or here, it does politically and financially, however, and that’s why they buy the likes of NUFC and why the powers that be allow it. It benefits a few, not the majority. Financially and politically.

Sportswashing is a term used to best describe fake outrage. Look at that ‘reporter’ asking Howe about his thoughts, fine ask, but if you were really unhappy and had issues, ask the very fucking people doing the crimes against humanity not some football manager doing his job and a job he’s doing for the right reasons and for a real purpose. What is the purpose of war, of making people suffer, of amassing untold riches one can’t fully ever spend?

You're right it's not on us as football fans, I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is a show of support for Ukraine, while Yemen is blockaded, is bad optics at best.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You're right it's not on us as football fans, I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is a show of support for Ukraine, while Yemen is blockaded, is bad optics at best.

It is, and kind of hypocritical, especially from all those companies, governments and people in power whose fake outrage at the Ukraine situation are all involved or part of the ills going on all over the world. I highly doubt the likes of Boris give a shit about Ukraine or it’s people. Same with Apple or the banks etc. And yet I’m happy for them to ‘cancel’ Russia. It’s fucked up all of it. We are fucked up, all of us.

Edited by HTT II

2 hours ago, Khalidao said:

Imagine a radical Islamic militia in Norway took over the government and decided to sail over the North Sea and add Newcastle to their land by force. UK pushing them out and they start sending missiles killing civilians in Newcastle. How'd the UK government and public respond?

Also, Saudi didn't "invade" Yemen like Russia did in Ukraine. Saudi started by fighting the Houthi militia on the border and north of Yemen and later helping normal Yemenis in the south fight for their liberation from Houthis.

All of this is well-documented but not really highlighted by Western media when they talk about the war in Yemen. The pushed narrative is only "Saudi is bombing Yemenis".

There’s no doubt that the causes of the two wars do not have equivalence but bombing civilians in both wars does have equivalence and should be condemned, unhesitatingly 

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

We literally had a thread in the chat section of this very forum titled "Saudi Arabia: Barbaric and Evil" or something to that effect long before we got taken over so yes people did give 2 fucks about Yemen

Edited by triggs

Guest HTT II
29 minutes ago, triggs said:

We literally had a thread in the chat section of this very forum titled "Saudi Arabia: Barbaric and Evil" or something to that effect long before we got taken over so yes people did give 2 fucks about Yemen

I’m talking about the wider populace, N.O gave a fuck about Ashley Out but the vast majority of match day going fans, although not liking him, didn’t give two fucks either otherwise they would all have been fully on board and that’s my general point here with this all…

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

A show of support for Ukraine whilst UEFA fine Celtic fans for showing support for Palestinians is also bad optics is it not

It's all bollocks and hypocrisy all round 

Sports-washing is a just being used as a stick to beat Newcastle fans with. 

If someone wants to do something about it start with the government and not Geordie from Walker who just wants to watch his team kick a ball about. 

This is people were happy to have a go at us for taking in Saudi money, yet over the last few days people have been calling for PIF to buy Chelsea and sell us. They have even been tweeting another Saudi Prince to buy them.

In all honesty I’m a bit tired of football fans being the ones asked to make a stand, and I don’t just mean us. It always seems to be on football fans, from us being asked to walk away from our club because of our owners (whilst our government sells our owners the weapons for their wars), to football fans being the ones asked to take a stand against racism and other forms of bigotry whilst the rest of the population stands by and does fuck, and our governments and official agency who do have control over issues stand by and do the finger pointing.

I’m not saying these things are right, they clearly aren’t, but it is football fans who seem to be the only ones who are asked or even required to actually take a stand.

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

This is people were happy to have a go at us for taking in Saudi money, yet over the last few days people have been calling for PIF to buy Chelsea and sell us. They have even been tweeting another Saudi Prince to buy them.

In all honesty I’m a bit tired of football fans being the ones asked to make a stand, and I don’t just mean us. It always seems to be on football fans, from us being asked to walk away from our club because of our owners (whilst our government sells our owners the weapons for their wars), to football fans being the ones asked to take a stand against racism and other forms of bigotry whilst the rest of the population stands by and does fuck, and our governments and official agency who do have control over issues stand by and do the finger pointing.

I’m not saying these things are right, they clearly aren’t, but it is football fans who seem to be the only ones who are asked or even required to actually take a stand.

Agreed Brother, I think us as footballer fans should take a stand to fight against those people that want football fans to take a stand.   Its symbolic of our struggle against the oppressors.

Why do you want to be a woman, Stan?

Edited by Awaymag

No one should be putting it on the fans. The fans don't get a say in who owns their club and as we discovered, a lot don't really care, they just want to go and support their team.

There's a big difference between that and folk going out of their way to defend and endorse the actions of KSA. The latter is becoming more prevalent (but is still thankfully a small minority), simply because KSA own a controlling stake in the club. That is sportswashing.

As a fan I'm not particularly enamored that these people own my club. I'll continue to support the team and enjoy caring for the club again, but I certainly won't be cheerleading for KSA. If anything I'd rather they got the fuck out of the game.

Edited by The Prophet

Absolutely pathetic by the media today trying to drag us into the Chelsea situation. Well played by Eddie Howe today, the jealousy will only burn deeper now the Chelsea rent boys have lost their mega rich backer. Here’s hoping it’s an American hedge fund who buys them and runs them like the Glazers.

Fuck the faux outrage from the envious London and North West media, the first trophy will be celebrated like no other has been in this country for years and they’ll fucking hate it.

Edited by Whitley mag

6 hours ago, Hank Marvin said:

Explain the difference to me between the US and the UK killing millions of Iraqi's and Afghan's in their appalling war for a 'democracy' and Vladimir Putin attempting the seize the Ukraine by force - Go ahead,

The difference: because afghan iraq etc are brown people mozlem countries.

While ukraine is white judeo chrustian countries.

There I said it. Ban me.

The same thing goes with why saudi is barbaric when bombing yemen while american and british are noble when they bomb iraqi and aghani children

Edited by veriaqa

11 hours ago, cannybagoftudor said:

Shouldn't all this be in the The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread ????? and we can discuss the positives that PIF etc bring to the City and club in this one ?

Positive and negative threads always work really well side-by-side.

Staveley and the board deserve huge praise for the decision to go with Eddie. It took a while to get there but he’s perfect for the club right now and hopefully for many seasons to come 

https://news.williamhill.com/football/amanda-staveley-building-exciting-brand-of-football-at-newcastle/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic-social&utm_campaign=tw-f3-organic-football&utm_content=na&utm_targetcountry=uk

“We think Newcastle can go to the top of the Premier League and the top of the Champions League, but it’s not just about winning the trophies,” said Staveley. “It’s about building brilliant, sustainable football every week. Exciting, attacking football that the fans deserve. It’s been an incredible journey for us, and it wouldn’t have happened without the support of the Public Investment Fund.

“We’re a small part of it, and I’m just very grateful for all the support the PIF have given us in making sure we can do the work that we needed to do in the transfer window and beyond.”

“We’re just so pleased for him [Eddie Howe], because the day we interviewed him we just knew he was the perfect manager and he’s just had the most incredible run of success, but a huge amount of work has gone into that,” she said.

“He’s really diligent, and he works so hard with the lads. I spent a lot of time with him in Saudi Arabia, which was lovely, when we were travelling, and I got to really understand his training methods, but he works incredibly hard and that’s why the results are there. But equally so, a great manager needs a great team and we’ve just been so impressed with the boys and that’s important.”

“They’ve settled so well,” she said. “It’s always difficult when you make a lot of changes and transitions in the January transfer window…the window is illiquid anyway and….to be honest I think a lot of the teams just didn’t want to sell players, especially European teams, and Eddie knew exactly what he wanted.

“We set up a transfer committee and we obviously don’t have a Director of Football at the minute, so we did that work in house and [head of recruitment] Steve Nickson’s team have been amazing and we all just sort of worked together and everyone’s settled brilliantly.”

She said: “It’s incredible [the support]. I mean every day and obviously going into the city…we feel so at home here. I fell in love with Newcastle the first time I came, and the people have just been extraordinary. So, the welcome we’ve had is just unique and we’re very grateful and privileged to work for the club and I hope we can deliver some great results in the years to come.”

Edited by nbthree3

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, nbthree3 said:

https://news.williamhill.com/football/amanda-staveley-building-exciting-brand-of-football-at-newcastle/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic-social&utm_campaign=tw-f3-organic-football&utm_content=na&utm_targetcountry=uk

“We think Newcastle can go to the top of the Premier League and the top of the Champions League, but it’s not just about winning the trophies,” said Staveley. “It’s about building brilliant, sustainable football every week. Exciting, attacking football that the fans deserve. It’s been an incredible journey for us, and it wouldn’t have happened without the support of the Public Investment Fund.

“We’re a small part of it, and I’m just very grateful for all the support the PIF have given us in making sure we can do the work that we needed to do in the transfer window and beyond.”

“We’re just so pleased for him [Eddie Howe], because the day we interviewed him we just knew he was the perfect manager and he’s just had the most incredible run of success, but a huge amount of work has gone into that,” she said.

“He’s really diligent, and he works so hard with the lads. I spent a lot of time with him in Saudi Arabia, which was lovely, when we were travelling, and I got to really understand his training methods, but he works incredibly hard and that’s why the results are there. But equally so, a great manager needs a great team and we’ve just been so impressed with the boys and that’s important.”

“They’ve settled so well,” she said. “It’s always difficult when you make a lot of changes and transitions in the January transfer window…the window is illiquid anyway and….to be honest I think a lot of the teams just didn’t want to sell players, especially European teams, and Eddie knew exactly what he wanted.

“We set up a transfer committee and we obviously don’t have a Director of Football at the minute, so we did that work in house and [head of recruitment] Steve Nickson’s team have been amazing and we all just sort of worked together and everyone’s settled brilliantly.”

She said: “It’s incredible [the support]. I mean every day and obviously going into the city…we feel so at home here. I fell in love with Newcastle the first time I came, and the people have just been extraordinary. So, the welcome we’ve had is just unique and we’re very grateful and privileged to work for the club and I hope we can deliver some great results in the years to come.”

If you want to be a successful club and indeed a successful business, everyone at the top needs to work together and be on the same page, not having a DOF during January wasn’t ideal, but it seems they more than made the most of things by working in a collaboration and I’m very happy for Howe to have such a huge input given he is the one who will be working with the players daily and who has to make sure they fit in and perform. The transition from Ashley and Bruce to now has been huge and the future is so exciting for this club. Howe and even some of the players playing now who may not be around for some of the better days, must be licking their lips.