The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I can’t get over people using that non ironically, genuinely. Do people call the queen “her majesty” like in real life? No thanks Geoff. 

They do actually. Not in general conversation, but at official dos, and in any introduction, it is always "Her Maj..."

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

You’re really doing a great job of building bridges. 

Your attitude towards him from your first response was pretty hostile, it's not particularly helpful to creating any sort of worthwhile discussion.

5 minutes ago, Saudi Magpie said:

But .. you demanded the takeover! It wouldn't have happened without you (fans) LOL

Feeling guilty after the party, aren't we?

KSA has money. That's it, that's all that was wanted, nothing else. You know it, we know it. 

Just now, CFlan said:

If you're writing a letter to literally someone in royalty then I think giving the full title is sound, it's just basic respect, but it's so weird doing that and then only referring to the others as first names, without even a Mr/Ms. :lol:

Given that the trust are (presumably) trying to se what can be gained from these owners in terms of official fan representation within the club they can't exactly be writing to them as "you genocidal scum."

Does it sound a bit cheesey? Absolutely and they'll have to take the criticism and lolz on the chin, but I can see why they did it.

Don't understand the angst on here about that Athletic article. It's perfectly fine IMO.

I can't make my mind up about Hurst. He gets a lot of negative feedback on here but on most occasions I've heard him speak I find myself agreeing with him. The guy has an ego though, no doubt about that.

What I definitely do NOT agree with is the narrative coming from some supporters that we "had no say" in this takeover. That is utter bollocks, we actively campaigned for it to happen for 18 months FFS. I went on record many times on here, stating that the PIF takeover was the only one that I wanted, and now that it has happened I have no regrets about taking that stance. The shitstorm that has ensued over the last 3 weeks has certainly been an eye opener but I'm still comfortable about the direction we are now travelling in with this consortium. I just pray that we don't get relegated because the celebrating from many quarters will be unbearable.

Edited by Wandy

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

If you're writing a letter to literally someone in royalty then I think giving the full title is sound, it's just basic respect, but it's so weird doing that and then only referring to the others as first names, without even a Mr/Ms. :lol:

Yeah. Written correspondence has a reverence due to the private nature. It's weird when letters get shared publicly, especially on the internet. 

They'll be ridiculed if they sign off with 'yours'. 

"HA! BOOMER!"

13 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Don't understand the angst on here about that Athletic article. It's perfectly fine IMO.

I can't make my mind up about Hurst. He gets a lot of negative feedback on here but on most occasions I've heard him speak I find myself agreeing with him. The guy has an ego though, no doubt about that.

What I definitely do NOT agree with is the narrative coming from some supporters that we "had no say" in this takeover. That is utter bollocks, we actively campaigned for it to happen for 18 months FFS. I went on record many times on here, stating that the PIF takeover was the only one that I wanted, and now that it has happened I have no regrets about taking that stance. The shitstorm that has ensued over the last 3 weeks has certainly been an eye opener but I'm still comfortable about the direction we are now travelling in with this consortium. I just pray that we don't get relegated because the celebrating from many quarters will be unbearable.

Tend to agree, he’s a strange one. Generally sounds OK on the TF pod but slips up on certain subjects. 

TBH I’m not sure he believes what he says half the time. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

33 minutes ago, Wandy said:

We may have campaigned for the takeover, but there's no evidence it made a blind bit of difference. Perhaps if we'd actively campaigned against it, they may have withdrawn, I suppose.

Though, I think those 'campaigns' amounted to a vote in an online survey, and a few people writing to their MPs, who then got routinely ignored for 2 years.

Watching the league collectively go into meltdown over it has been hilarious, however. And I'm in the same camp of having hoped for it to go through and having no regrets whatever that it has now - just being excited instead.

My issue with the article was the idea that we've always been uniquely singled out and victimised as a fanbase and as a club even before this. That's complete nonsense, and I don't want others to speak on my behalf saying that kind of thing either.

This reaction to the Saudi led takeover is not some continuation of a nationwide grudge against Newcastle. There are different concerns here, both sporting and otherwise.

Whilst I think a lot of those concerns are hypocritical or misjudged, I certainly don't think it's all part of some long running paranoid anti-Newcastle agenda.

31 minutes ago, Abacus said:

We may have campaigned for the takeover, but there's no evidence it made a blind bit of difference. Perhaps if we'd actively campaigned against it, they may have withdrawn, I suppose.

Though, I think those 'campaigns' amounted to a vote in an online survey, and a few people writing to their MPs, who then got routinely ignored for 2 years.

Watching the league collectively go into meltdown over it has been hilarious, however. And I'm in the same camp of having hoped for it to go through and having no regrets whatever that it has now - just being excited instead.

My issue with the article was the idea that we've always been uniquely singled out and victimised as a fanbase and as a club even before this. That's complete nonsense, and I don't want others to speak on my behalf saying that kind of thing either.

This reaction to the Saudi led takeover is not some continuation of a nationwide grudge against Newcastle. There are different concerns here, both sporting and otherwise.

Whilst I think a lot of those concerns are hypocritical or misjudged, I certainly don't think it's all part of some long running paranoid anti-Newcastle agenda.

Disagree to a point. 

The Saudi thing apart it’s ridiculous how we’re stereotyped - would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0, deluded and expect to be winning things etc, etc

I wouldn’t say victimised but there’s massive differences between as binning Bruceball and Manure possibly binning Ole are incredible.

There’s a huge press bias towards the ‘top 6’, they don’t like it like the top 6 so we’re going to get pelters.

I’ve had a few expats over here swallow the bullshit Bruce stuff, yet when you ask them if they’d now have Bruce as manager the it’s a big no.

Edited by Thomson Mouse

8 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Disagree to a point. 

The Saudi thing apart it’s ridiculous how we’re stereotyped - would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0, deluded and expect to be winning things etc, etc

I wouldn’t say victimised but there’s massive differences between as binning Bruceball and Manure possibly binning Ole are incredible.

There’s a huge press bias towards the ‘top 6’, they don’t like it like the top 6 so we’re going to get pelters.

I’ve had a few expats over here swallow the bullshit Bruce stuff, yet when you ask them if they’d now have Bruce as manager the it’s a big no.

I think there's a difference between:

On the one hand the way the media (written media and talksport in particular) go on about NUFC fans as well as, I suppose, the minority of dafties that swallow everything these outlets say.

And on the other hand your average match-going English football fan that you meet and speak to before/after games.

I agree think that the media love to run an "entitled, delusional geordies" piece especially in the age of the internet where traffic is everything to the business model. It's all a bit old hat now imo, although the widespread furore over the Bruce sacking did surprise me.

But the idea that English football fans are, and have been for 20 years, permanently in a seething state of emnity towards NUFC fans is also basically bollocks, despite what RTG would like you to believe.

6 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Disagree to a point. 

Well, I do agree re the difference between the treatment of us and a so-called big 6 team. Though I think 14 other teams would probably feel a similar way about that disparity.

And yes there are also lazy stereotypes about our fans in the press and also amongst some other fans too.

But then again, the whole tone of that article, as I read it, was that we were somehow uniquely victimised and all the recent noise was just an extension of that.

I myself have stereotypes about Sunderland fans, Everton fans, Man U fans, Arsenal fans, Villa fans, Leeds fans...I could go on. I've often seen these lazily expressed in the press too. They probably feel the same way as we do when they hear it themselves.

It obviously doesn't help that our own recent head coach played up those stereotypes either for personal gain. But leaving that aside, I don't buy that the recent protests would have been unique to Newcastle, and that other clubs wouldn't have received similar protests had they been taken over by the same consortium.

For example, I've heard very little about the usual 'deluded Geordies' stuff - it's all about money distorting sport, sportwashing etc etc.

I'll be quite honest, if it had been Leeds in our position, say, I'd probably be saying very similar things and it would be largely out of jealousy.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Tend to agree, he’s a strange one. Generally sounds OK on the TF pod but slips up on certain subjects. 

TBH I’m not sure he believes what he says half the time. 

Agree with this.  I followed him on Twitter for a bit.  But he has some rare old likes and shares and seemed a bit OTT for me as being THE VOICE OF THE FANS.  I actually prefer the TF podcast for a lot of the contributors, as opposed to Hurst.  Although I think he is pretty good as a host, in fairness to him.  

8 hours ago, Rich said:

At what point does Greg become open to criticism as well? Past efforts not at all forgotten or ignored, but it’s becoming harder and harder to separate him and Hurst these days. Neither of them speak for me, and I certainly wasn’t desperate for Bruce to succeed. Unless I’m not considered a fan?

I guess when he has provided the promised detailed update on Hurst's return to the Trust once he's finished work - two weeks ago now. 

9 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

I guess when he has provided the promised detailed update on Hurst's return to the Trust once he's finished work - two weeks ago now. 

He’s far too important and busy to do disgusting things like engaging with supporters. Who else will sit on Alex’s hand whilst he plays him to his tune?